Quote from: Monoriu on May 11, 2016, 07:51:45 PM
I for one love the new graphics.

You are probably hoping for anime Catherine the Great. :P

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on May 12, 2016, 12:24:58 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 11, 2016, 07:51:45 PM
I for one love the new graphics.

You are probably hoping for anime Catherine the Great. :P

In Civ1 and 2 I always played as the Romans because I loved their music theme.  At some point I played as the Indians for their specific bonus.  Probably also tried Germans and English.  Don't think I have tried Russian before :P

Eddie Teach

You always played the same civ?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 12, 2016, 01:36:59 AM
You always played the same civ?  :huh:

In Civ 1 and 2, yes.  I don't recall any civ specific bonus or unit, so I just played the one with my favourite music theme. 

Civ 3 or after, I always try to play as the civ with "the best" traits and units.  If after a playthrough, I think there are better traits and units, I'll switch.  Otherwise I won't. 

Eddie Teach

You realize the "best" traits and units (and buildings) depend on the map and the victory conditions and your strategy.

In the early civ games, I liked to play on earth. Each different civ started in a different place. Then there's painting the map a different color, seeing the entire list of cities for each civ... Reason enough to change it up, IMO.

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 12, 2016, 01:52:43 AM
You realize the "best" traits and units (and buildings) depend on the map and the victory conditions and your strategy.

In the early civ games, I liked to play on earth. Each different civ started in a different place. Then there's painting the map a different color, seeing the entire list of cities for each civ... Reason enough to change it up, IMO.

I remember trying the Earth map in civ 1.  I always played as the Romans so the French, German and English were right next to me.  I quickly concluded that Earth maps suck and never tried them again :D

In EU I almost always play as Portugal.  The reason is that I am a huge fan of Koei's Uncharted Waters game.  In Uncharted Waters I, the only option was to roleplay as a Portugese prince.  They don't make Uncharted Waters games any more.  To me, EU is a spiritual successor of Uncharted Waters because it sorta allows me to do similar stuff, like exploring Africa, colonising the Americas and setting up a trade route all the way from Lisbon to China. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on May 12, 2016, 01:59:31 AM
I remember trying the Earth map in civ 1.  I always played as the Romans so the French, German and English were right next to me.  I quickly concluded that Earth maps suck and never tried them again :D

I thought they had it set up so you only got one of French/Germans/Vikings (all blue). Or maybe that wasn't until Civ 2?

It was kinda crowded for Europe, but great for Mongols, Egypt or America.  :D

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Grallon on May 11, 2016, 12:59:44 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 11, 2016, 12:54:30 PM

Grallon's reaction, however, didn't come as a surprise.  A linear progression from a Civ announcement to the opinion :D

Come on the game play hasn't changed since the first title!  I greatly enjoyed C2 but everything after that was a downer; I'd play a few dozen hours and then move on to something else.  Nothing like the compulsion to play Skyrim,  Inquisition or CK2 for months on end.

G.

my comment wasn't about what civ is but about the predictability of your comment and it's content. both are as predictable and unchanging as the gameplayqualities you ascribe to Civ. Which makes the presence of your comment funny to me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 12, 2016, 02:24:34 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 12, 2016, 01:59:31 AM

I thought they had it set up so you only got one of French/Germans/Vikings (all blue). Or maybe that wasn't until Civ 2?

It was kinda crowded for Europe, but great for Mongols, Egypt or America.  :D

that's civ 2. still the version where I have my best start ever as the celts. Starting turn revolution to monarchy, taking london and before turn 100 foothold in south africa after taking the replacement carthaginians. Final 100 turns a massive war for the Atlantic with the Sioux. glorious

Darth Wagtaros

I loved CIV 4, mostly because of Fall from Heaven.  Civ V took several updates and their expensive Gods and Kings, etc packages to become truly enjoyable.  And wasn't modable to the extend that 4 was.
PDH!

DGuller

I never played Civ I, but I did play all the other ones, from II to V.  Honestly, I totally don't understand Grallon's complaining.  All of these games were addictive, but all of them were clear improvements over their predecessor.  Remember how in II you could just start from Poland, DOW Russia, instantly move your doomstack to Vladivostok, and attack it with full force on the same turn?  Yeah, I think we improved from that situation.  I think V was the game I sank by far the most hours into.

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on May 12, 2016, 09:27:14 AM
I never played Civ I, but I did play all the other ones, from II to V.  Honestly, I totally don't understand Grallon's complaining.  All of these games were addictive, but all of them were clear improvements over their predecessor.  Remember how in II you could just start from Poland, DOW Russia, instantly move your doomstack to Vladivostok, and attack it with full force on the same turn?  Yeah, I think we improved from that situation.  I think V was the game I sank by far the most hours into.

I have played each and every Civ game, and I agree that each game is a clear improvement over the last one.  I do remember that III was a little unbalanced on release and it required polish.  But overall it was much better than II.  V for example implemented the one unit per tile rule and added minor nations and I am sure there are lots of others. 

Josquius

I never played civ 1. :blush:

I'm really not sure on this unstacking cities stuff.....
All improvements on map? Sounds limiting.
But a big improvement.

I hope they get rid of the over the top road maintenance thing.  Just make roads degrade and need a worker touch up now and then.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2016, 10:40:01 AM
I hope they get rid of the over the top road maintenance thing.  Just make roads degrade and need a worker touch up now and then.
:bleeding: Yeah, that sounds like a micromanagement heaven.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Grallon on May 11, 2016, 11:20:24 AM
*yawn*  Cue linear progression like in the previous 5 titles.  They're not even trying to reinvent the genre.  Same old recycled formula. <_<

Technological advance is an inherently iterative process. Each minor refinement is a step in the process, and all of the steps must be taken.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?