And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martim Silva on September 25, 2012, 10:34:49 AM
Japanese and Taiwanese ships shot water cannon at each other Tuesday

Gay sailor wet t-shirt contests.  Super.

Kleves

China has launched its first aricraft carrier:  :o. Fortunately, it appears to be useless.
QuoteBEIJING — In a ceremony attended by the country's top leaders, China put its first aircraft carrier into service on Tuesday, a move intended to signal its growing military might as tensions escalate between Beijing and its neighbors over islands in nearby seas.

Officials said the carrier, a discarded vessel bought from Ukraine in 1998 and refurbished by China, would protect national sovereignty, an issue that has become a touchstone of the government's dispute with Japan over ownership of islands in the East China Sea.

But despite the triumphant tone of the launch, which was watched by President Hu Jintao and Prime Minister Wen Jiabao, and despite rousing assessments by Chinese military experts about the importance of the carrier, the vessel will be used only for training and testing for the foreseeable future.

The mark "16" emblazoned on the carrier's side indicates that it is limited to training, Chinese and other military experts said. China does not have planes capable of landing on the carrier and so far training for such landings has been carried out on land, they said.

Even so, the public appearance of the carrier at the northeastern port of Dalian was used as an occasion to stir patriotic feelings, which have run at fever pitch in the last 10 days over the dispute between China and Japan over the East China Sea islands, called Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China.

The carrier will "raise the overall operational strength of the Chinese Navy" and help China "to effectively protect national sovereignty, security and development interests," the Ministry of Defense said.

The Communist Party congress that will begin the country's once-in-a-decade leadership transition is expected to be held next month, and the public unveiling of the carrier appeared to be part of an effort to forge national unity ahead of the event.

For international purposes, the public unveiling of the carrier seemed intended to signal to smaller nations in the South China Sea, including the Philippines, an American ally, that China has an increasing number of impressive assets to deploy.

American military planners have played down the significance of the commissioning of the carrier. Some Navy officials have even said they would encourage China to move ahead with building its own aircraft carrier and the ships to accompany it, because it would be a waste of money.

Other military experts outside China have agreed with that assessment.

"The fact is the aircraft carrier is useless for the Chinese Navy," You Ji, a visiting senior research fellow at the National University of Singapore, said in an interview. "If it is used against America, it has no survivability. If it is used against China's neighbors, it's a sign of bullying."

Vietnam, a neighbor with whom China has fought wars, operates land-based Russian Su-30 aircraft that could pose a threat to the aircraft carrier, Mr. You said. "In the South China Sea, if the carrier is damaged by the Vietnamese, it's a huge loss of face," he said. "It's not worth it."

Up to now, Chinese pilots have been limited to practicing simulated carrier landings on concrete strips on land in Chinese J-8 aircraft based on Soviet-made MiG-23s produced about 25 years ago, Mr. You said. The pilots could not undertake the difficult maneuver of landing on a moving carrier because China does not yet have suitable aircraft, Mr. You said.

The question of whether China will move ahead and build its own carrier depends in large part, he said, on whether China can develop aircraft to land on one. "It's a long, long process for constructing such aircraft," he said.

In contrast to some of the skepticism expressed by military experts outside China, Li Jie, a researcher at the Chinese Naval Research Institute, said in an interview in the state-run People's Daily that the carrier would change the Chinese Navy's traditional mind-set and bring qualitative changes to its operational style and structure, he said.

Although the Chinese military does not publish a breakdown of its military spending, foreign military experts say the navy is less well financed than the army and air force.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martim Silva on September 25, 2012, 10:34:49 AM
In the meanwhile, Taiwan has decided to jump into the fray:

http://news.yahoo.com/japan-trades-words-china-water-taiwan-133522693--finance.html;_ylt=A2KLOzErzWFQtCAAZaDQtDMD

Japanese and Taiwanese ships shot water cannon at each other Tuesday in the latest confrontation over tiny islands in the East China Sea, as Japan met with another rival, China, in an effort to tamp down tensions.

About 40 Taiwanese fishing boats and 12 patrol boats entered waters near the islands on Tuesday morning, briefly triggering an exchange of water cannon fire with Japanese coast guard ships. Coast guard officials said the Taiwanese vessels had ignored warnings to get out of their territory, and the Taiwanese ships pulled back after being fired upon. (...)

That seems to be an ineffective means of combat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2012, 03:03:10 PMThat seems to be an ineffective means of combat.

I dunno, seems pretty effective to me. Both parties get to mark their claim to the territories while minimizing the risk of accidentally killing nationals from the other side and seriously harming their relationship.

Razgovory

They already marked their claim.  You can do that with just pen and a map.  Shooting at each other with water hoses means they'll be back next week doing the same thing, week after week.  Until someone shows up with a real cannon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2012, 03:41:35 PM
They already marked their claim.  You can do that with just pen and a map.  Shooting at each other with water hoses means they'll be back next week doing the same thing, week after week.  Until someone shows up with a real cannon.

That's not how it works Raz, a pen and a map is not enough.

You have to physically patrol the territory to maintain the claim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Kleves on September 25, 2012, 02:54:08 PM
China has launched its first aricraft carrier:  :o. Fortunately, it appears to be useless.

So they're 70 years behind the US and Japan? :yeah:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2012, 04:14:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2012, 03:41:35 PM

That's not how it works Raz, a pen and a map is not enough.

You have to physically patrol the territory to maintain the claim.

With big squirt guns?

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on September 25, 2012, 06:45:52 PM
A look at part of China's material culture:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19648095

Weak. My stash is larger. My tp supply is worth double of their inferior electronics.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

:lol:

:huh: ... you do know that I posted that already, right?

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2012, 06:53:37 PM

:lol:

:huh: ... you do know that I posted that already, right?

:blush:

Info overload, I click on so many links a day, I forget I've already seen it. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Here's your chance for US$65million: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19733003
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/tycoon-offers-63-million-to-any-man-who-marries-lesbian-daughter/article4569747/?service=mobile

All you have to do is woo the woman in this picture and marry her:

If you do, the man in the picture - her father - will pay you the bounty.

Eddie Teach

Malthus told me that one was the daughter's wife. I should have known better than to trust a lawyer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?