News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavian

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Syt

They're becoming the EA Sports of historical strategy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2012, 10:07:22 AM
They're becoming the EA Sports of historical strategy.

:yes:

Also, I wonder if ubik is going to throw a hissy fit soon. :D

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Seriously, I would really like to seem them try something new for a change and not "[Existing Game] n+1".

I remember I was really excited when I first read their announcement of Victoria, or Hearts of Iron or Snowball developing Crusader Kings; even EU: Rome.

Now every announcement leaves me "meh, figured as much" even if the end product is fantastic (like CK2).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

It'd be nice to see them try something new.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

They do, it's called War of the Roses.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Solmyr

Zanza

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 10, 2012, 10:27:31 AM

That's being developed by a different group.

East Vs. West and March of the Eagles are the only slight time period changes being done in house.

Zanza

Quote from: Solmyr on August 10, 2012, 10:28:24 AM
Map will suck.
The screenshots look pretty nice. The provinces look like they might be the same as EU3, which isn't great, but can easily be modded based on the existing EU3 mods.
http://kotaku.com/europa-universalis-iv/

Features list:

- Take your own decisions: Nation building is flexible: decide your own form of government, the structure of your society, trade politics and more. The possibilities are endless.
- Use your Monarch Power: Experience the new system of monarch power where your spread of choices is influence by the caliber of the man you have at the top. Do you have a warrior King? Then it is time to make war.
- Experience history coming to life: The great people and personalities of the past are on hand to support you. Thousands of historical events guide you, with unique different flavor depending on the country you play. Have more than a thousand historical leaders and over 4000 historical Monarchs at your disposal.
- The world is now your playground: Players can enjoy over 300 years of gameplay in a lush topographic map in full 3D. Lead any one of more than 250 countries that originally existed during the game's extensive time span.
- Experience the all new trade system: The trade system adds a new dimension to the great trade empires of the period. Seize control of key ports to expand your trade, support it with your powerful fleet and the wealth of the world will flow to you.
- Bring out your diplomatic skills: Deeper diplomatic gameplay, with coalitions, threats, fleet basing rights and detailed support for rebels. Introducing unilateral opinions, a country may dislike you, but you can be neutral towards them.
- Engage in Multiplayer: Battle against your friends or try co-operative multiplayer mode that allows several players to work together to control a single nation for up to 32 players. Featuring hotjoin, improved chat, new matchmaking server andsupport for a standalone server.
- Create your own history & customize your game: Europa Universalis IV gives you the chance to customize and mod practically anything your heart may desire.

Solmyr

I will buy it too, though. Even if it sucks balls. Hopefully they will merge the character/dynasty system from CK into it, like it sounds they want to.

Also, I'll need popcorn to watch Magnamunditards fume.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2012, 10:32:11 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 10, 2012, 10:27:31 AM

That's being developed by a different group.

East Vs. West and March of the Eagles are the only slight time period changes being done in house.

In an industry where publishers rule everything, where it's being developed is not important.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

I would be pretty excited for the new trade system if I didn't already know that Paradox couldn't develop a proper naval model to save their lives.