News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dwarf Fortress

Started by sbr, April 20, 2009, 02:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

You playing the new version that just came out recently?

MadImmortalMan

Yes. It's missing the "all dwarves get the fuck inside" button, I noticed. Is there another way to accomplish the same thing? I hate when they run out to loot the corpses of their fallen brethren in the middle of a slaughterfest.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Solmyr

Turn off the "recover items from the dead"?

MadImmortalMan

Yeah I did that, but they still go out to hunt, fish, gather plants, whatever else.

The all dwarves inside command was easier.

Here's an interesting question--

I got an event that a huge angry weretortoise had shown up, and it started thankfully slaughtering some of my more useless mouths to feed out on the prairie. Then it just went away. I got a message that it had turned into a dwarf in the event log. A little while later, it came back and killed a few more dumb gatherers or something. Then it was gone again. Is this weretortoise one of my own dwarves transforming under the full moon? If so, how do I figure out which one?

Solmyr

DF has used burrows since last year's version to define areas where dwarves can and cannot go. So you can define a burrow to include your safe indoors areas and restrict the civilians to it during invasions. It's a bit complicated but versatile once you figure it out.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 27, 2012, 01:50:31 PM

I got an event that a huge angry weretortoise had shown up, and it started thankfully slaughtering some of my more useless mouths to feed out on the prairie. Then it just went away. I got a message that it had turned into a dwarf in the event log. A little while later, it came back and killed a few more dumb gatherers or something. Then it was gone again. Is this weretortoise one of my own dwarves transforming under the full moon? If so, how do I figure out which one?
:lmfao:
Awesome!

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 05, 2012, 09:26:14 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 27, 2012, 01:50:31 PM

:lmfao:
Awesome!

That's not a very helpful answer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Never played the game, I just find the AARs hugely entertaining.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

I ended up deciding to leave it alone in the hope that the lycanthropy would spread. Three others have since become monsters too. I hope to eventually have a fortress full of weretortoises that descends into a chaotic bloodbath once a month.

MadImmortalMan

Now that I have enough weretortoises to be able to figure out what they are doing, I'm noticing something cool. They don't get unhappy like the other dwarves do. What I think is happening is that every time they change form their needs all reset, so they are always happy even if they are starving and haunted by the ghosts of the dwarves they have brutally slain and whose stinking rotting corpses are fouling the hallways. I've been able to stave off a tantrum cascade so far, but I suspect the last dwarves standing in the event it all falls apart will be the lycanthro-turtles.

Makes me wonder if I can use them for some cool dwarfy shenanigans. Like trap one in the archery range for the marksdwarves to take pot shots at while he's transformed and train their skills up. He won't starve to death or anything. I could just chain him to the wall.

MadImmortalMan

Interesting note: Dwarves who had been weretortoises during life and went unburied after death to return as ghosts continue to periodically change form into ghostly weretortoises as they haunt your living dwarves.  :lol:

Tonitrus

As a werewolf, cleaning up after the hair is bad enough.  Dealing with the shell must be a bitch.

fhdz

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 17, 2012, 08:20:49 PM
Interesting note: Dwarves who had been weretortoises during life and went unburied after death to return as ghosts continue to periodically change form into ghostly weretortoises as they haunt your living dwarves.  :lol:

:lol:
and the horse you rode in on

Alcibiades

Urge to re-download so strong  :lol:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain