News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

In a fit of insanity, I ordered La Bataille de la Moscowa.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 01, 2011, 11:30:33 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 01, 2011, 10:55:48 AM
I don't know. :unsure:

Who do you want to play with?
When (i.e. what kind of occasion) do you want to play? Party? Friends? Devoted evening to gaming?

As I said, I'll never get to play it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 01, 2011, 10:55:07 AM
Yet is true or have you played

HAVE YOU PLAYED?

In no particular order, I have, since the first of this year played--WITH A REAL LIVE FTF OPPONENT, MIND YOU--

Hell of Stalingrad
Fires of Midway
Spearpoint '43
King Phillip's War
The Tide at Sunrise
Popular Front
Persian Incursion
Labyrinth
The Caucausus Campaign
Next up:  Either the Spanish Civil War, Baltic Gap, or another shot at Triumph of Chaos.  We haven't decided.

Much like Ed Anger, I don't bother telling you this stuff, since you're all not worth it.  But your little memes keep you warm at night, so I don't bother fighting it.

I will, however, continue to purchase games at a pace beyond my ability to play them.  That's just the way it's going to be.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 01, 2011, 02:09:51 PM

You're going to jizz at the size, scope and quality of it.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2011, 04:03:17 PM

:)

I'm not even going to punch the fucker. If they put the rules online, I'll load it into my ipad and read them on the can.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

I would recommend the new edition of Twilight Struggle.  You might actually even get to play it, since the mechanics are incredibly simple.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Lettow77

I played and enjoyed twilight struggle a dozen times or so. The soviets were pretty rigged, it was felt.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Habbaku

The Soviets, in the base game, certainly have a decent advantage (roughly 55/45, give or take) and the USA definitely takes a bit of finesse to play properly.  I think the Chinese Civil War variant and the new edition's additional cards go a good way to fixing that imbalance, however.  NORAD, especially.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Because of the aformentioned reasons regarding my gaming group, I went on massive solitaire-spending, and  have ordered like 4 Victory Point Games solitaire games (Ottoman Sunset -goes well with me reading The Peace to End All Peace-, the pacifip war one, the russkie-bombing one, and Nemo's War)
Plus the über-expensive but sexy-looking newest edition of Hornet Leader.

nerdgasm!

Habbaku

Something of an info dump for Legion of Honor was dropped today :

QuoteA game is divided into 16 Campaign Seasons for the "grand game." LoH provides two scenarios - the Republican (1792 to 1800) and the Imperial (1801 to 1815) - plus instructions on how to design your own scenario, which can be any length desired. The grand scenario with 6 players takes about 8 to 9 hours.

A campaign seasion consists of an administrative phase (the Campaign Season Segment) plus 0 or more In Garrison Rounds and 0 or more On Campaign Rounds (depending on what happened in that Campaign Season historically). Play is broken down into the following phases:

Organization of Play

Campaign Season Segment

1. The Fair Sex Phase - When using this optional rules, determine changes in the characteristics of a lady of quality in play: her charm, influence, and wealth.

2. Money Transfer & Tax Phase: Move money in between one's bank account ("Paris") and person ("Purse"). Tax the money in the bank at 10%.

3. Aging Phase: Determine the amount of Health points the player (the "Grognard") loses.

4. Assignment Phase: Determine any changes in the Grognard's Army (pre-Imperial) or Corps assignment. This is out of his control.

5. Glory Phase: Acquire Glory points for a Grognard who has a Legion of Honor (based on his level in the Legion) and for having a wife and/or mistress with charm (if playing with The Fair Sex).

In Garrison Round(s)

1. Recovery Phase: Check to see if a wounded Grognard is able to leave convalescence and re-enter normal play.

2. Income Phase: Collect income associated with rank and, if well advanced in life, from one's wife, office, title, Imperial Guard membership, and/or level in the Legion of Honor.

3. Support Phase: Pay for that expensive wife and/or mistress(es).

4. Deck Phase: Compose the deck for the round, inserting any relevant In Garrison Event Cards and the randomly selected In Garrison Cards.

5. In Garrison Phase: Act on each card dealt to a player in sequence. This is when duels can take place if the right conditions are met. This is also when a Grognard can try to get his assignment changed.

On Campaign Round(s) 1. Recovery & Health Phase: Same as above, but also an automatic decline in health due to the rigors of campaigning.

2. Income Phase: Same as above.

3. Support Phase: Same as above.

4. Deck Phase: Same as above, but for On Campaign Event Cards and On Campaign cards.

5. On Campaign Phase: Same as above, but for the On Campaign deck.

There are six kinds of cards:

In Garrison Event Cards (typically of a political nature)

In Garrison Cards (depicting the humdrum aspects of military and personal life while in garrison)

On Campaign Event Cards (typically of a military nature)

On Campaign Cards (depicting the humdrum aspects aspects of military life while on campaign plus minor military actions)

Combat Cards (to determine the battle outcome for one's unit during a major battle)

Duel with Swords Cards

Duel With Pistols

The above description does not do justice to the period color and even the dark humor woven into the game.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 01, 2011, 05:01:50 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2011, 04:03:17 PM

:)

I'm not even going to punch the fucker. If they put the rules online, I'll load it into my ipad and read them on the can.
I've got punched and unpunched versions of all the games in this series (back to the original la Bataille de la Moskowa).   I think that, this time 'round, I will just keep an unpunched copy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

What the hell kind of game is Legin of Honour? :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on May 02, 2011, 01:00:27 PM
What the hell kind of game is Legin of Honour? :huh:

Dropping letters from some words and adding them to others is just plain weird.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

Princesca found my copy of Empire of the Sun (GMT) last night while she was cleaning out some moving boxes... I got it right before we moved and never had the chance to look it over.  Is this a: good game.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points