Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

I'm all in on Microsoft. Considering a Google short.

Admiral Yi

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Hamilcar

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2023, 05:54:43 PMI'm long Google and happy with it.

You saw that Samsung is considering ditching Google for Microsoft search on their phones?

Hamilcar

Quote from: Josquius on April 17, 2023, 11:55:55 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on April 17, 2023, 01:11:38 PMI'm all in on Microsoft. Considering a Google short.

Whats M$ got brewing?

6-12 months head start over Google in AI. Plus Google can't ship.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Hamilcar on April 18, 2023, 12:53:38 AMYou saw that Samsung is considering ditching Google for Microsoft search on their phones?

I did not.  But that doesn't worry me.  Regardless of what your device comes with as the default it's too easy to switch.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2023, 12:56:40 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on April 18, 2023, 12:53:38 AMYou saw that Samsung is considering ditching Google for Microsoft search on their phones?

I did not.  But that doesn't worry me.  Regardless of what your device comes with as the default it's too easy to switch.

Interesting. Then why is Google paying Apple $8-12bn per year to be the default search on iOS?

HVC

Main difference is Bing sucks. Sucks so much it's become its own meme. So have to jump that hurdle first.  If Google is paying I'm assuming they're paying so apple doesn't developed their own.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Hamilcar

Quote from: HVC on April 18, 2023, 01:40:01 AMMain difference is Bing sucks. Sucks so much it's become its own meme. So have to jump that hurdle first.  If Google is paying I'm assuming they're paying so apple doesn't developed their own.

Google is useless to me. The first page of search results is just ads, and then its pages which have been SEO'd to death.

Bing search is also bad but not quite. The full integration of Bing Chat is a real advantage.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Hamilcar on April 18, 2023, 01:23:37 AMInteresting. Then why is Google paying Apple $8-12bn per year to be the default search on iOS?

I was not aware of this.

That is certainly much more than I thought the default on Apple would be worth.

Any idea how much MS is paying Samsung?

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on April 18, 2023, 01:46:44 AM
Quote from: HVC on April 18, 2023, 01:40:01 AMMain difference is Bing sucks. Sucks so much it's become its own meme. So have to jump that hurdle first.  If Google is paying I'm assuming they're paying so apple doesn't developed their own.

Google is useless to me. The first page of search results is just ads, and then its pages which have been SEO'd to death.

Bing search is also bad but not quite. The full integration of Bing Chat is a real advantage.

Maybe you are just bad at using search engines?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2023, 01:54:29 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on April 18, 2023, 01:23:37 AMInteresting. Then why is Google paying Apple $8-12bn per year to be the default search on iOS?

I was not aware of this.

Couldn't find a number.

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2023, 02:29:58 AM

Maybe you're duped by the ads? The icon is very small now.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on April 18, 2023, 02:33:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2023, 02:29:58 AM

Maybe you're duped by the ads? The icon is very small now.

Maybe your vision is going? :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Hamilcar on April 18, 2023, 02:31:55 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2023, 01:54:29 AM

I was not aware of this.

Couldn't find a number.

Yes we have established you cannot use Google.  :P