News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball

Started by jimmy olsen, March 10, 2009, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Congrats to Samurai Japan on their third world championship! They take down the USA 3-2 in the finals.

This one hurts. I had resigned myself to defeat when the USA was down to Venezuela before that dramatic grand slam but suddenly it seemed like the USA couldn't be stopped...until it was. The USA had base runners all over the place but just couldn't get the big hits.

The technical excellence, speed, and talent of the Japanese is truly awesome and I guess if you are going to go down in a championship it might as well be the greatest baseball player alive, Shohei Ohtani.

Still GODDAMNIT! So close but so far.

It was an amazing World Baseball Classic and I hope all who caught any of it enjoyed it, I know I did. Let's do it again in 2026.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Sounds like it was a hell of a game last night.  Sorry I missed it live.

On a totally different level, my wife's family grew up playing baseball/softball, but she's failed to convince any of our kids to try the sport out.  Until this year - my youngest (age 9) is signed up to play softball starting next month.  I need to get out there with a glove in his hand ASAP to try and get him some idea on what to do...

(This is the kid who hated hockey, but has enjoyed Taekwondo, so who knows what he'll think about softball)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Hey Valmy, couple questions about Teh Classic.  DH or no DH?  Are all the refs MLB?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2023, 10:46:46 AMSounds like it was a hell of a game last night.  Sorry I missed it live.

On a totally different level, my wife's family grew up playing baseball/softball, but she's failed to convince any of our kids to try the sport out.  Until this year - my youngest (age 9) is signed up to play softball starting next month.  I need to get out there with a glove in his hand ASAP to try and get him some idea on what to do...

(This is the kid who hated hockey, but has enjoyed Taekwondo, so who knows what he'll think about softball)

Boy softball! That's cool, we don't have that here.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 16, 2023, 12:54:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2023, 12:02:08 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 11, 2023, 03:01:42 PMMy son is currently taking part in day 1 of AA 11U selection camp. His goal is too make it to week 2.

Wow a select camp. That is pretty awesome. Keep us updated.

It seems that no cuts were made after week 1. On to week 2!

He did not survive the first cut. On to the A/B camp.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2023, 08:39:47 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/shorts/USH_hUziATU

Excellent advice for beginning batters.

That is great advice!

Though it doesn't work by 10U...most of the time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 23, 2023, 09:39:42 AMHe did not survive the first cut. On to the A/B camp.

Sorry to hear that.

Still...think of all the money you saved.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 22, 2023, 08:33:15 PMBoy softball! That's cool, we don't have that here.

Yeah boys are not allowed to play softball until we are old and doing it for fun.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2023, 10:01:21 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 23, 2023, 09:39:42 AMHe did not survive the first cut. On to the A/B camp.

Sorry to hear that.

Still...think of all the money you saved.

:lol: It's like 2 grand when including out of town tournaments.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2023, 10:01:48 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 22, 2023, 08:33:15 PMBoy softball! That's cool, we don't have that here.

Yeah boys are not allowed to play softball until we are old and doing it for fun.

Huh - never thought about it.

Baseball is a tricky sport to learn.  If you don't have a basic proficiency in throwing, catching and hitting it is just PAINFUL to both play and watch.  Whereas from experience, even if you're terrible at hockey you can still play some kind of meaningful version of the game.

So (if like my kid) you're just starting out at age 9 I think softball would be a much easier introduction to the whole game.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

In the past my wife and I went to Lakeland to see the Detroit Tiger's spring training this time of year.  Both Orlando and Tampa have grown enormously starting with Hurricane Maria hitting Puerto Rico and continuing on through Covid, so it now takes about three hours to get to Lakeland during the day (where it used to take us two.)  Instead we went to Jupiter to watch the Tigers play the Cardinals.  (The closest stadium to us is The Mets in Port Saint Lucie, but we couldn't find a game that fit our schedule.  Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium (really) in Jupiter is shared by the Marlins and the Cardinals so there's almost always a game every day spring training. 

It was 90 F (32 C) and no shade near us; fortunately there was breeze.  It's hard to draw too many conclusions from a spring training game, but it looks like the Tigers might have some offense this year.  Their fielding looked terrible.  The Cards didn't look much better, but they could at least make the occasional spectacular catch.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

It appears they have made the infield shift illegal.  I don't get that at all.

HVC

So... what's with the shot clock?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2023, 06:39:38 PMIt appears they have made the infield shift illegal.  I don't get that at all.

It was analytics taking too far and stopped the fun of hits.

@HVC Pitch clock. 😉