News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Tesla prices lowered.  Model 3 from 46,990 to 43,990.  Model Y from 65,990 to 52,990. :o

viper37

Twitter wants to charge businesses 1000$/month to keep their gold mark, +50$/month for all affiliated account.

I have no idea if businesses will stay there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on February 04, 2023, 03:58:36 PMTwitter wants to charge businesses 1000$/month to keep their gold mark, +50$/month for all affiliated account.

Big ones will, that's a drop in the ocean for them. For smaller ones it will remain to be seen.

FWIW, I always thought that that was an obvious avenue for more revenue for the company, to create some kind of "corporate account" system.

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on February 04, 2023, 04:03:37 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 04, 2023, 03:58:36 PMTwitter wants to charge businesses 1000$/month to keep their gold mark, +50$/month for all affiliated account.

Big ones will, that's a drop in the ocean for them. For smaller ones it will remain to be seen.

FWIF, I always thought that that was an obvious avenue for more revenue for the company, to create some kind of "corporate account" system.
Yeah, I don't doubt Apple or Intel can pay that easily.

I just wonder about the smalller ones.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on February 04, 2023, 04:59:31 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 04, 2023, 04:03:37 PM

FWIW, I always thought that that was an obvious avenue for more revenue for the company, to create some kind of "corporate account" system.
Yeah, I don't doubt Apple or Intel can pay that easily.

I just wonder about the smalller ones.

A sliding scale depending on company size/revenue would be the best solution. Having Apple and Mom & Pop shop down the corner pay the same is stupid.

Jacob

I wonder how many business accounts there at twitter?

According to this there are 118 million business that use Twitter.

If they ALL pay Musk $1000/month that's $1,416,000,000,000 in additional yearly revenue. Jumping from a cost of $0 to $12,000 annually may be a rich for a number of those customers.

Still if they get 100,000 businesses to pay $1,000/month then that's a pretty nice monthly income stream. That'd add $1.2 billion annually which is a pretty good increase on the $4.4 billion they generate now.

It'd be interesting to see what the number of businesses are that use Twitter, and what their sizes are. As Viper says, $1000/month is nothing for major corporations, but it's going to be non-trivial for many other businesses.

Admiral Yi

Does anyone know if Facebook charges businesses?

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 04, 2023, 06:35:22 PMStill if they get 100,000 businesses to pay $1,000/month then that's a pretty nice monthly income stream. That'd add $1.2 billion annually which is a pretty good increase on the $4.4 billion they generate now.
I don't think they'll get more than a thousand or two businesses to pay that amount of money to be on Twitter.
That's still some good income, but not a quarter more.

Twitter and FB (and others) have a lot of value because they are free.  Now, you have to pay 12k$/year for the main account, 600$/year for any supplemental accounts, I think only the Fortune 1000 companies would be interested in keeping it as it is not much costs for them and they will be gaining/retaining customers through it.

It's not just Twitter that you have to factor in, but once they start paying for Twitter and it seems to work, others will follow.  They might not want to encourage that behaviour, even if they can afford it.

12k$ for Twitter, 12k$ for FB, 12k$ for Reddit, 12k$ for Instagram, it ends up being costly in the end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2023, 06:47:53 PMDoes anyone know if Facebook charges businesses?
No, they don't.  Their business model is 100% ad based for now*.  I am sure they have toyed with the idea though.

*Technically, Meta is about much more than Facebook and it's supposed to be much more than a social media.  It is investing more and more in AI, like many other tech companies.

Zanza

Quote from: Jacob on February 04, 2023, 06:35:22 PMI wonder how many business accounts there at twitter?

According to this there are 118 million business that use Twitter.
Doubtful. The page tries to sell its services to these businesses, so inflating the figure might make the service seem more important. Other pages give figures if 300-350 million total active users for Twitter and I doubt that it is one third businesses. Also the German Statistics Office is given as a source and they certainly do not have figures on business Twitter usage...

crazy canuck

It will be interesting to see what Twitter determines a business is.  A lot of people I follow are academics who write books that they advertise through Twitter.

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2023, 09:26:56 AMIt will be interesting to see what Twitter determines a business is.  A lot of people I follow are academics who write books that they advertise through Twitter.

Also whether it applies to nonprofits or public administrations (yes, national governments can afford 12k/year for twitter, but small townships might not).

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on February 05, 2023, 10:48:11 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2023, 09:26:56 AMIt will be interesting to see what Twitter determines a business is.  A lot of people I follow are academics who write books that they advertise through Twitter.

Also whether it applies to nonprofits or public administrations (yes, national governments can afford 12k/year for twitter, but small townships might not).

I would limit paying accounts to private companies only. The ones that can actually make money out of it. Not to public bodies, NGOs, etc. And maybe "corporate" paying accounts can get a bunch of sub-accounts as part of the package, for different departments, national branches, or whatever.

Josquius

I don't like this.
Say you run a decent sized company.

Fair enough to say OK, don't buy a twitter account then you just lose out on the advertising and customer engagement that any reputable company is expected to have there. But it's worse than this. Without you having a twitter account under your company's name it's easy for an immitator to come in and pose as your company, whether for hijinks, promotion of a rival, or outright criminality.

I think it needs a bit more to it. Severely limit use if you don't pay up, and give more features to paid up corporate accounts.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

It's Twitter. It's the gutter of the internet, run by a QAnon nut. Twitter accounts are already a laughing stock.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.