News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on February 03, 2023, 08:41:00 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 03, 2023, 07:15:39 AMNo idea about what you mean with the Devil's Wheel.

https://youtu.be/yVoijkYiZtg

That doesn't seem like the best attraction if you've drank lots of beer.  :lol:

viper37

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 02, 2023, 08:26:45 PMI dunno.  It is hard for me to see a B5 reboot as being anything other than a disaster.  Or even at least anywhere near matching the original.
Well, it was JMS, so having the original author remaking his own product kinda meant it had a good chance of not sucking at the beginning.

I don't know.  BSG was good, in the beginning.  Why can't anything else be good too? :cry:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Finished Midway.  Not a bad movie.  They do make it obvious in the movie it's a trap for the Japanese navy, unlike in the trailer, where they emphasize that it was the ultimate battle to stop the Japanese from invading the USA.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2023, 10:28:17 AMFinished Midway.  Not a bad movie.  They do make it obvious in the movie it's a trap for the Japanese navy, unlike in the trailer, where they emphasize that it was the ultimate battle to stop the Japanese from invading the USA.

The best part is the end.  After showing the Japanese sailors murdering American POWs (including a character they've built up a bit as a hero) Emmerich dedicates the film to them.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2023, 12:30:22 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2023, 10:28:17 AMFinished Midway.  Not a bad movie.  They do make it obvious in the movie it's a trap for the Japanese navy, unlike in the trailer, where they emphasize that it was the ultimate battle to stop the Japanese from invading the USA.

The best part is the end.  After showing the Japanese sailors murdering American POWs (including a character they've built up a bit as a hero) Emmerich dedicates the film to them.  :lol:
Ah, yes.  Well.  There's also the American submarine that is invulnerable to depth charges and remains close to the surface after being detected.  It is an Emmerich movie.

It's not as bad as I first thought.  I've seen much, much better WWII movies set in the Pacific Theater, but with the exception of Yamamoto, it is pretty Americano-centric for sure and the Japanese don't come out with any redeeming values.  War criminals, short sighted, obstinate, twisted sense of honor, no real tactical sense.

The dive bombing sequences were well done though.  And I did like that they didn't try to make all of the American pilots into some kind of noble heroes, fighting without fear.  Some were scared for their lives, had doubts, got scared, some were way too cocky to be good officer material and that was reflected in their lack of promotion until the times were truly desperate.  I did appreciate these minor details.  It's not something I would have expected of a typical blockbuster movie.

I did like how the intelligence work was portrayed as being unconventional, and the difference of interpretations between the mainland and the Hawaii office, showing how intelligence work isn't as simple as intercepting a message.

So, on the one hand, it got some of the minor details right, on the other hand, it is still an Emerich movie.

Admiral Yi

Huh, looks like Netflix doesn't have all the Better Call Saul seasons. 

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2023, 09:05:07 PMHuh, looks like Netflix doesn't have all the Better Call Saul seasons. 

They have it here, but IIRC the US streaming/broadcasting rights are cut up differently, while outside the US it's all(?) on Netflix.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Cunk on Earth (Netflix). Watched the first episode. Mockumentary with Diane Morgan as Philomena Cunk taking a stroll through history. Languishites are unlikely to get any new info from this, but I got a few good (if often cheap) laughs out of it. Favorite line: "Julius Caesar - the most notorious Roman till Polanski." ^_^

Also, can't hate a series that gives some screen time to the Assistant Keeper of Ancient Mesopotamian script, languages and cultures in the Department of the Middle East in the British Museum, Irving Finkel:

:wub:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

I found Cunk on Earth rather amusing. It's childish, and for most of us quite silly, but yes, there are a few laughs. I wonder if all the professors were in on the joke from the get -go, one or two of them seem rather annoyed at the whole thing.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on February 04, 2023, 07:38:19 AMI found Cunk on Earth rather amusing. It's childish, and for most of us quite silly, but yes, there are a few laughs. I wonder if all the professors were in on the joke from the get -go, one or two of them seem rather annoyed at the whole thing.

I would like to hope so - from what I gather this character is from UK TV, so I'd imagine at least most British experts would have a chance of knowing her. I'm on the final episode - it's IMO an almost too good satire/parody of the style of contemporary history documentary, with its on location shots of the presenter walking slowly while delivering "important" text, dramatic music, close ups of paintings/artifacts, movie clips, the dumb questions to the experts, the constant comparisons to modern concepts, not to mention the lack of knowledge by the presenter who still presents themself with great confidence that they have it right. Not to mention pressing huge concepts and periods of history into bite sized bits.

It's basically everything you hate about history documentaries, cranked up to 11. (Though unsure it had to be 5 whole episodes of it :D )
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on February 04, 2023, 07:38:19 AMI wonder if all the professors were in on the joke from the get -go, one or two of them seem rather annoyed at the whole thing.

Here's one of the interviewees talking about it on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/AsheLaura/status/1574153809890516992

"I was interviewed on Cunk on Earth. It was exactly as awkward as you'd predict."

"OMG! This thrills me!! What was it like?!?!"

"... tricky? Honestly the brief is play it straight & that's ... hard. I'm bemused at journalists reviewing it saying it's 'no fun' now interviewees know it's a spoof because seriously, knowing is NO HELP AT ALL (& personally I hate the embarrassment edge when s/o's really duped)."

"Do you not know what you'll be asked? I assumed you were prepped & still found it hilarious."

"Gods no. They were incredibly vague ('medieval stuff, maybe a bit of religion?') and I hilariously actually ... did a bit of serious prep? Then felt like the joke was intensely on me..."

(Based on context the joke being that she prepared, not that they making a mockery of her)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

The best part was the Lika bit (the Russian dog in space), when she finds out it never made it back home.
who is the actress anyway? Is she well-known in Britain? A comedian?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Looking at IMDB, she has done a bunch of things on Brit TV. She's had a 6 part series about British history before (Cunk on Britain) and from what I gather she played the character on some weekly show.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 04, 2023, 12:28:56 PMLooking at IMDB, she has done a bunch of things on Brit TV. She's had a 6 part series about British history before (Cunk on Britain) and from what I gather she played the character on some weekly show.
Yeah she used to do Philomena Cunk on Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe too and has been in loads of comedy stuff.

I think it's a bit like Sacha Baron Cohen/Ali G in that the character started as a section on another show when a lot of the joke was that people didn't really know who they were - now it's a bit more self-aware.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Syt on February 04, 2023, 12:28:56 PMLooking at IMDB, she has done a bunch of things on Brit TV. She's had a 6 part series about British history before (Cunk on Britain) and from what I gather she played the character on some weekly show.

Yeah she has done several Cunk on.

I learned about her watching Motherland.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.