News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2023, 07:12:59 PMMeta lifting their ban on Trump on their platforms.

Nick Clegg has said it was apparently his decision and is apparently basing it on an assumption that Trump will cease to be Trump. Which seems bold:
QuoteNick Clegg on Trump: "We just do not want — if he is to return to our services — for him to do what he did on January 6, which is to use our services to delegitimize the 2024 election, much as he sought to discredit the 2020 election."
:huh: :blink:

Just when you think the story of the frog and the scorpion is overtold and everyone knows it, you find someone who never heard it before.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

I did not know that Nick Clegg worked for Facebook.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

To be fair trumpys seem to be Facebooks core target audience these days.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I don't mind actually. Clearly Trump is fading out of GOP god emperor status and his heir, De Santos or however he is called, seems more dangerous. I don't mind giving Trump a bit of boost to prolong this upcoming battle of titans between him and the crazier loon.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on January 25, 2023, 09:25:49 PMI did not know that Nick Clegg worked for Facebook.
It's slightly mad - he's apparently the second most powerful person in Meta since Sheryl Sandberg and is very, very close to Zuckerberg.

Separately photos of fen skating - which I'd never heard of:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gallery/2023/jan/25/there-really-is-nothing-like-this-east-anglias-fen-skaters-in-pictures

I don't know why but the images made me think how similar East Anglia and the Low Countries look:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Not sure if you would know this, having been born after the iniquitous 1974 local government act, but one of the traditional parts of Lincolnshire is called Holland  :cool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parts_of_Holland

Sheilbh

QuoteAPStylebook
@APStylebook
We recommend avoiding general and often dehumanizing "the" labels such as the poor, the mentally ill, the French, the disabled, the college-educated. Instead, use wording such as people with mental illnesses. And use these descriptions only when clearly relevant.
:lol: "the French" :frog:

More seriously I get the point here but there's a part of me that thinks the problem in our society is that we hide from view groups like "the poor" and don't talk about them enough - so while I get what they're trying to do, I'm not sure this helps :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

People with poverty, people suffering from poverty?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 26, 2023, 01:14:01 PM
QuoteAPStylebook
@APStylebook
We recommend avoiding general and often dehumanizing "the" labels such as the poor, the mentally ill, the French, the disabled, the college-educated. Instead, use wording such as people with mental illnesses. And use these descriptions only when clearly relevant.

More seriously I get the point here but there's a part of me that thinks the problem in our society is that we hide from view groups like "the poor" and don't talk about them enough - so while I get what they're trying to do, I'm not sure this helps :hmm:

People who possess citizenship of the French Republic? Just rolls off the tongue.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2023, 01:43:01 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 26, 2023, 01:14:01 PM
QuoteAPStylebook
@APStylebook

People who possess citizenship of the French Republic? Just rolls off the tongue.

People afflicted by Frenchness?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on January 26, 2023, 01:47:09 PMPeople afflicted by Frenchness?
It's trending in the UK.

It could be about this, or it could just be a day ending in y.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on January 26, 2023, 01:15:23 PMPeople with poverty, people suffering from poverty?

Poverts.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

And they say you can't make Segways look cool. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.