News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

4 days ago, Canada announced it was going to mediate a conflict in Africa.

A conflict between anglo seperatists and the ultra centralizing government of Cameroon.  Seems not all seperatists are tribalists unworthy of consideration after all. :P

3 days later, Cameroon responded that it never invited Canada or any other foreign country to serve as a mediator and they were all grown ups, all capable of solving their own problems by themselves.

Oups.  :shutup:

Anglophone crisis
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

3 weeks ago, Danielle Smith indicated to Rebel Medial that she had asked her justice minister to review all current court case related to covid, to see if they were still winnable, if public opinion hadn't chanfed about it.
https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1613691451539427328?s=20&t=TB_24kOko5PIOmowSy1YFg

It says in thew interviee she and her office contacted crow  prosecuters directly.

Now, CBC os reporting the story.  She
Wants them to retract defamatory newsreport  and issue an apology...

She is so wierd...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

New Léger poll for Canda.
Libs 34%
Cons 34%
Ndp 19%
Bq 7%
Ppc >1%

Trudeau is itching to go on election, but he has nothing to present, other than being anti conservative.

Singh believes himself ready, but the polls proves Canadians still do not trust him.

I'm glad the PPC is back to where it belongs.

crazy canuck

Minority Conservative government, with an all time low voter turnout, is my prediction if Trudeau calls an election now.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 28, 2023, 06:57:41 AMMinority Conservative government, with an all time low voter turnout, is my prediction if Trudeau calls an election now.

Fairly safe bet I guess. I think Trudeaumania 2.0 is done and dusted now. Next election is Polliviere's to lose, I think.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Huh - UCP is actually taking a slight lead in the polls, though it's really too close to call.

https://338canada.com/alberta/

Federally the CPC similarly has a slim lead, though it's almost certain to be a minority.  Election is a few years off though.

https://338canada.com/

crazy canuck

I am not so sure the Liberals are going to wait for their time to wind down.  The longer the election gets put off, the more time the Conservatives have to remake their leader's image into one with more broad appeal.  Put bluntly, in two years people will have completely forgotten about his comments in favour of the Trucker Convoy.  And Trudeau is showing all the signs of someone who has overstayed their welcome.  That is not going to bet better in two years.

Grey Fox

I have a lot more hope than you guys. So much shit on PeePee will come out when an election is called. Dude has been using the government to pay his mortgage to start.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2023, 06:44:02 PMI have a lot more hope than you guys. So much shit on PeePee will come out when an election is called. Dude has been using the government to pay his mortgage to start.

You are a hopeless optimist :D

viper37

I'm not sure I trust the National Post, but hey, they describe Toronto as Gotham City now:
Link

Although I did see briefly in the news that there's a crime wave in the public transit.  I guess Liberal management of crime wasn't that good after all.  Who would have thought?

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on January 31, 2023, 03:02:12 PMI'm not sure I trust the National Post, but hey, they describe Toronto as Gotham City now:
Link

Although I did see briefly in the news that there's a crime wave in the public transit.  I guess Liberal management of crime wasn't that good after all.  Who would have thought?

Article could be describing Edmonton.

During Covid ridership plummeted.  Homeless moved in, and now since Covid restrictions are over (I know - Covid itself is not) ridership has not returned to 2019 levels because of the increase in crime and disorder on public transit.

HVC

IIRC crime overall is still down, it's just the crime that is happening is more high-profile. Setting people on fire on busses, pushing people into tracks. Stuff like that, opposed to shooting at Jane and finch (Toronto "ghetto ")
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on January 31, 2023, 03:11:55 PMIIRC crime overall is still down, it's just the crime that is happening is more high-profile. Setting people on fire on busses, pushing people into tracks. Stuff like that, opposed to shooting at Jane and finch (Toronto "ghetto ")
Montreal is still at the shooting and stabbing stage.  I wonder if it'll move to the next stage too.

crazy canuck

Anecdotally, this is something my son talked about as being a concern of his and his circle of friends.  They are a lot more vigilant now taking transit in TO to get around.  And of course in TO, it doesn't make much sense to try to get around in a car.