News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on January 25, 2023, 01:22:37 PMIs that someone relevant?

Kind-of.

Vladimir Solovyov has been a TV host/presenter/personality for a long time.  He has his own show on the main channel Russia-1, and also appears on other shows.  He is unfailingly pro-Putin and pro-war.  He says a lot of really quite unhinged stuff that often gets translated like in the clip above.

This being Russia his words are tacitly approved by the Kremlin to some degree.

Fun fact though - if you dig around you can find pre-2014 clips of him saying Crimea belongs to Ukraine, and even a clip of him and one Volodymyr Zelenskyy sharing a stage during a New Years Eve show.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2023, 01:32:08 PM
Quote from: Josquius on January 25, 2023, 01:30:27 PMI wonder why the US is sending 31. Seems a strange random number. 14 is a standard tank company size I understand. Where do the extra 3 fit in?- this is combined with some smaller nations contributions to make 3 companies?

Maybe three are to be used for training purposes and/or reserve?

Or are specially equipped command tanks.

Zoupa

Barrister

Here's one of Solovyev saying how "NATO must be destroyed - there are no other options":

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1618286770441027585

He's certainly called fur nukes to be used multiple times, for France and/or the UK to be wiped off the map, how the Ukraine war is a Holy War (he even said "Allahu Akbar") - you get the drift.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 25, 2023, 01:33:21 PMand even a clip of him and one Volodymyr Zelenskyy sharing a stage during a New Years Eve show.

Yeah the one of happier times when Zelenskyy was doing goofy stuff on the big Russian New Years show has been passed around a bit.

I just don't get this war by Russia at all and the fact that their government, its supporters, lie constantly and say nothing but bullshit doesn't help clarify things. Even if Russia somehow wins this war their position is going to be substantially worse than it was in 2022 and that is so sure thing. They might lose. They didn't need to do this to keep Ukraine out of NATO, they had that pretty much assured diplomatically. Ukraine joining both the EU and NATO are much more likely now than before. And Russia is bleeding resources it cannot afford to lose. I don't get it.

If it weren't for the suffering and death being inflicted on Ukraine this would be a very positive development. Here is one of our biggest and most determined enemies destroying themselves for no logical reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on January 25, 2023, 01:33:21 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 25, 2023, 01:22:37 PMIs that someone relevant?

Kind-of.

Vladimir Solovyov has been a TV host/presenter/personality for a long time.  He has his own show on the main channel Russia-1, and also appears on other shows.  He is unfailingly pro-Putin and pro-war.  He says a lot of really quite unhinged stuff that often gets translated like in the clip above.

This being Russia his words are tacitly approved by the Kremlin to some degree.

Fun fact though - if you dig around you can find pre-2014 clips of him saying Crimea belongs to Ukraine, and even a clip of him and one Volodymyr Zelenskyy sharing a stage during a New Years Eve show.

He really went off the deep end when the Italians confiscated both of his villas. But yes he's the Julius Streicher of the Russians.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Looks like Ukraine's getting over 100 tanks from various European countries - and France also exploring sending Leclercs.
Let's bomb Russia!

PJL

Quote from: Zoupa on January 25, 2023, 01:41:06 PM

Reminds me of the Four Stages of Foreign Policy during a crisis scene in Yes Minister.

Jacob

I've seen the number 300 being bandied about as a real difference maker in various hypothetical scenarios. As in, getting ~300 tanks would help shift the situation for Ukraine.

The Larch

Quote from: Jacob on January 25, 2023, 01:49:33 PMI've seen the number 300 being bandied about as a real difference maker in various hypothetical scenarios. As in, getting ~300 tanks would help shift the situation for Ukraine.

IIRC that's the amount of tanks that Ukraine had specifically requested.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on January 25, 2023, 01:56:03 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 25, 2023, 01:49:33 PMI've seen the number 300 being bandied about as a real difference maker in various hypothetical scenarios. As in, getting ~300 tanks would help shift the situation for Ukraine.

IIRC that's the amount of tanks that Ukraine had specifically requessted.

I hope/cautiously believe, Ukraine was engaging in basic bargaining and asking for way more than they felt they would actually do the job.

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2023, 01:43:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 25, 2023, 01:33:21 PMand even a clip of him and one Volodymyr Zelenskyy sharing a stage during a New Years Eve show.

Yeah the one of happier times when Zelenskyy was doing goofy stuff on the big Russian New Years show has been passed around a bit.

I just don't get this war by Russia at all and the fact that their government, its supporters, lie constantly and say nothing but bullshit doesn't help clarify things. Even if Russia somehow wins this war their position is going to be substantially worse than it was in 2022 and that is so sure thing. They might lose. They didn't need to do this to keep Ukraine out of NATO, they had that pretty much assured diplomatically. Ukraine joining both the EU and NATO are much more likely now than before. And Russia is bleeding resources it cannot afford to lose. I don't get it.

If it weren't for the suffering and death being inflicted on Ukraine this would be a very positive development. Here is one of our biggest and most determined enemies destroying themselves for no logical reason.

Its funny to think of an analogue to Zelensky for our audiences. Formerly a pretty popular comedian in Russia he is now Russia's state sanctioned public enemy number one.
Its like, what if Will Ferrel became the president of the nation next door and the media started telling you he was an evil nazi.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2023, 01:46:08 PMLooks like Ukraine's getting over 100 tanks from various European countries - and France also exploring sending Leclercs.

I sympathize with the Ukrainian mechanics who'll be charged with keeping things running smoothly.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Unofficial reports that Spain is going to hand over 53! Leopard tanks to Ukraine.

No idea Spain had so many tanks.  A holdover from Franco?  Nope - Leopard 2 only entered service in 1979.

PJL

Quote from: Barrister on January 25, 2023, 02:12:33 PMUnofficial reports that Spain is going to hand over 53! Leopard tanks to Ukraine.

No idea Spain had so many tanks.  A holdover from Franco?  Nope - Leopard 2 only entered service in 1979.

I'm even more surprised that Spain were willing to accept German tanks then given the new republic and the fact that the Civil War was well within living memory back then.