How many times have you moved in your life?

Started by The Larch, January 24, 2023, 08:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many times have you moved in your life?

None (I've lived in the same place all my life)
0 (0%)
Once
0 (0%)
Twice
1 (2.6%)
3 to 5 times
7 (17.9%)
6 to 8 times
11 (28.2%)
9 to 11 times
6 (15.4%)
12 to 15 times
6 (15.4%)
15+ times
8 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

celedhring

I count 15, excluding temp stuff (places where I stayed just a few days or weeks). It's been 4 years since my last move, this has been the stablest period of my adult life.

mongers

So would moving South for the winter count?

I ask as suddenly this Winter I've begun to understand the benefits older Brits get when they fly to S.Spain for warm weather. :brit:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

15+ for sure (only thinking of those with 2.5/3+ months of residency). I'd already live in 3 different houses by age 10 and then as I'd lived in university housing, had to move out and somewhere else every summer (only one of those times back home).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on January 25, 2023, 09:40:43 AMSo would moving South for the winter count?

I ask as suddenly this Winter I've begun to understand the benefits older Brits get when they fly to S.Spain for warm weather. :brit:

I only counted moves as ones where I took all my stuff; so a stint at boarding school where I holidayed at the parental home in Germany counts as one move from our former home in Brighton for example.

Caliga

I was born in '76, and moved in '78 from one town to another in suburban Philadelphia.
I didn't move again until 1994 when I moved to Massachusetts for college.  I'm not counting moving back and forth between MA and PA for summers.
I then moved in 1998 to an apartment in Boston, and in 2001 to a house in suburban Boston.
I next moved in 2007 to Kentucky, then to a new house in Kentucky in 2015, and a third one, my current home, in 2017.

So that's 7 moves.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

I have to admit that after moving every couple years for so much of my life it feels weird that I've now been in the same house for 12 years, and while I won't say I'm likely to die in this house, I'm probably not moving out of this house until my kids are well and truly gone.

With the kids firmly settled into school/friends/hockey I'm highly unlikely to change cities.  Then within Edmonton we're finally at the point where was can see paying off the mortgage entirely, so I feel like it doesn't make much sense to move to a bigger house and pile on a bunch more debt.  Besides it's not impossible to imagine that in another 12 years the kids will be out of the house and we'd be stuck in a house much bigger than we'd need.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Come to think if it, while I moved technically 7-9 times, I only switched towns twice. Town where I grew up in Germany, town where I lived for a couple of years in Germany, and Vienna.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

14 I think. Been at the current place since 2005. Will downsize shortly after retirement but spend a year renting in central London (probably Marylebone) in between before coming back down south again.

viper37

When I was a kid, we used to follow my dad around the constructions sites he worked on as a foreman, so we moved pretty much every year until I was in mid 4th grade, but mostly came back "home" on the week end.  While home was pretty much in the general area of where I live (switch street sides, move a few meters), we did change our permanent house 3 times.

Then I went to university had an appartment, came back home, couldn't stand being treated like a child and living with a chain smoker, got my own appartment and eventually bought my dad's house and moved back home.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Renting a house for university counts I would assume, but what about living in a dorm on campus?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 25, 2023, 06:42:39 PMRenting a house for university counts I would assume, but what living in a dorm on campus?

I don't because that was not my primary residence.

But I was also within short driving distance of my parents. I guess if I moved across country to go to school it would be different.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Three times as a child, then my own place. Then Germany, then back. About to move again, somewhere quieter and closer to work.

Not counting Poland. I spent almost as much time there as in Germany, but I never intended to stay.
Not counting my ex-gf's flat in Barcelona either. In my mind it was her place (she'd probably been pretty pissed to hear that).

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on January 27, 2023, 04:16:39 PMThree times as a child, then my own place. Then Germany, then back. About to move again, somewhere quieter and closer to work.

Not counting Poland. I spent almost as much time there as in Germany, but I never intended to stay.
Not counting my ex-gf's flat in Barcelona either. In my mind it was her place (she'd probably been pretty pissed to hear that).

I'd still count those two places (Poland and your gf's appartment), unless you stayed there for a very short time. The fact that you didn't intend to stay there doesn't meant that you were actually living in those places.