News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on January 25, 2023, 07:24:56 AMIs that really a snub? It's not as if there's a massive buzz for the film, it has no other nominations for big awards (except for Adapted Screenplay) and the other nominees for the Director category are all from strong contenders as well. Maybe the movie isn't such a strong candidate after all (honestly speaking I had not even heard about it before the nominations).
Also Best Picture.

I am surprised there's not a woman nominee in that category because it's been commented on before and there are strong candidates.

Although I may be biased because I really don't think Triangle of Sadness is that great so I'd happily get rid of Ostlund :lol: :ph34r:

(Haven't seen Fabelmans yet)
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2023, 07:30:50 AMAlso Best Picture.

Sorry, meant to say besides that.

QuoteI am surprised there's not a woman nominee in that category because it's been commented on before and there are strong candidates.

Which other strong candidates besides Polley? Checking from the rest of the noms the only two potential candidates that come to my mind are Charlotte Wells for Aftersun or Lila Neugebauer for Causeway, and those seem even weaker films award-wise than Women Talking.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on January 25, 2023, 07:38:19 AMWhich other strong candidates besides Polley? Checking from the rest of the noms the only two potential candidates that come to my mind are Charlotte Wells for Aftersun or Lila Neugebauer for Causeway, and those seem even weaker films award-wise than Women Talking
Aftersun is the other one that springs to mind for me - and would be my best director because I think it's a brilliant film :lol: Polley is the strongest - she is writer-director so it just seems odd to get nominated for Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay but not Best Director.

But I'd also put in a shout for Gina Prince-Bythewood and The Woman King generally. I'm surprised that's not got more nominations. For me, personally, that would have been my pick for big blockbuster that should do well at the awards. I thought it'd pick up loads of nominations including lots of "craft" ones - but it doesn't seem to have got any.

Personally I'd also have liked Nope to get more but I fully recognise that was very divisive and while I absolutely loved it, other people I saw it with didn't :ph34r:

Edit: Actually if the big action blockbuster with nominations it feels telling that Top Gun and Avatar are both sequels - though at least Top Gun is a good film too <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2023, 07:54:31 AMAftersun is the other one that springs to mind for me - and would be my best director because I think it's a brilliant film :lol: Polley is the strongest - she is writer-director so it just seems odd to get nominated for Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay but not Best Director.

Given that Aftersun's only nom is to Paul Mescal you might be overstating their case.  :P

Agreed that Polley would have been the strongest female director for a possible nomination, but it seems that this year it was not meant to be. Even if Östlund was not nominated I'm not sure if Polley would have been the next candidate, it could have very well been James Cameron or Baz Luhrmann.

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2023, 07:54:31 AMBut I'd also put in a shout for Gina Prince-Bythewood and The Woman King generally. I'm surprised that's not got more nominations. For me, personally, that would have been my pick for big blockbuster that should do well at the awards. I thought it'd pick up loads of nominations including lots of "craft" ones - but it doesn't seem to have got any.

The Woman King did not get any noms indeed, possibly this year's biggest snub.

celedhring

Why is The Woman King a snub? That movie is as middle of the road as they come. Decently made but not great, and it didn't have the kind of success that would make it a candidate for one of those "we need to put a blockbuster" byes.

Haven't seen Women Talking (opens in February over here), but the trailers look great. The world needs more Sarah Polley doing stuff.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 25, 2023, 10:42:19 AMWhy is The Woman King a snub? That movie is as middle of the road as they come. Decently made but not great, and it didn't have the kind of success that would make it a candidate for one of those "we need to put a blockbuster" byes.

Haven't seen Women Talking (opens in February over here), but the trailers look great. The world needs more Sarah Polley doing stuff.

Just checked and The Woman King has a ton of noms for more niche awards, and Viola Davis has BAFTA and Golden Globes noms, so maybe she could have been in the discussion for a Best Actress nomination. I certainly saw the movie named among the snubbed ones. Maybe it's not the biggest snub, but it certainly could be included, at least for Davis. I also saw RRR named amongst the snubbed films, given that it only received a Best Song nomination.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on January 25, 2023, 10:42:19 AMWhy is The Woman King a snub? That movie is as middle of the road as they come. Decently made but not great, and it didn't have the kind of success that would make it a candidate for one of those "we need to put a blockbuster" byes.
Maybe - I really liked.

But also in my head it was one of the best blockbusters and just looking at the top ten - it was a really poor year for blockbusters.

I liked Top Gun: Maverick and The Batman a lot - but the rest (Dr Strange, Avatar, Black Panther sequel, latest Jurassic World, latest Thor) have not been great. That's maybe why The Woman King stuck out a bit more - and Nope. They were action-y films I watched this year that I just enjoyed in a way I didn't with any of the Marvel offerings etc.

QuoteJust checked and The Woman King has a ton of noms for more niche awards, and Viola Davis has BAFTA and Golden Globes noms, so maybe she could have been in the discussion for a Best Actress nomination. I certainly saw the movie named among the snubbed ones. Maybe it's not the biggest snub, but it certainly could be included, at least for Davis. I also saw RRR named amongst the snubbed films, given that it only received a Best Song nomination.
:lol: In fairness I'd give RRR all awards possible. Speaking of action films I just enjoyed and found exhilarating, it is very high on the list :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2023, 02:10:27 PMMaybe - I really liked.

But also in my head it was one of the best blockbusters and just looking at the top ten - it was a really poor year for blockbusters.

I liked Top Gun: Maverick and The Batman a lot - but the rest (Dr Strange, Avatar, Black Panther sequel, latest Jurassic World, latest Thor) have not been great. That's maybe why The Woman King stuck out a bit more - and Nope. They were action-y films I watched this year that I just enjoyed in a way I didn't with any of the Marvel offerings etc.

Yeah, I really liked it as well.  Given the other weak movies on the list, it seems a legitimate comment that the movie was snubbed.

Josephus

It seems odd to me. The movie did get a lot of press and Hollywood being kinda woke you'd think they'd have a female director in the running, and she seemed an obvious choice. [she was also involved in the #metoo scandals] I see now they nominated her in the best adapted screenplay though.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Deadly Illusions. Among movies on the theme "attractive young woman inserts herself into the life of a family" it's certainly better than average.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Tár is amazing. Any movie where significant part of the dialogue seems to be about the nature of art and artists in a classical music setting appeals to my most base instincts  :lol:

Blanchett is utterly masterful in it, btw. She gives humanity to a character (incidentally, this is a rare example of the  "great egotistical genius" trope with a female protagonist, and I love it for that) that would be very easy to dismiss as completely unlikeable, and she gives so much nuance and detail to Lydia. Might be one of the greatest portrayals of the last few years - definitely one of her best. Daylight robbery if she doesn't win the Oscar.

It is also a great examination of cancel culture (although I hate using that word since it's become quite loaded, the movie never pretends that what happens to Tár is undeserved).

Admiral Yi

Finished Narvik.  During WWII a young Norwegian wife and mother faces a difficult choice under German occupation.  Was OK.  Chick is not hott.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2023, 09:46:49 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 31, 2023, 09:43:47 PMIs that on Neflix?

yeah

Thanks Yi, I'll check it out.

That campaign was a clusterfuck from the UK and French pov.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Going back to the Oscars, it seems there was some internal controversy regarding Andrea Riseborough's nomination for Best Actress that lead to an internal investigation on the nomination proceedings by the Academy.

QuoteAndrea Riseborough's Oscar nomination upheld after academy review
British actor's surprise inclusion in the best actress category will not be disqualified after accusations of unfair tactics although 'responsible parties' will be dealt with

Andrea Riseborough's controversial Oscar nomination will not be taken away after an Academy review.

The British actor had been a surprise inclusion in this year's best actress category for her performance in low-budget drama To Leslie after a last-minute campaign from celebrities including Kate Winslet and Gwyneth Paltrow. Accusations of unfair tactics were raised and the Academy announced an internal review of campaign procedures.

"Based on concerns that surfaced last week around the To Leslie awards campaign, the Academy began a review into the film's campaigning tactics," a statement read today. "The Academy has determined the activity in question does not rise to the level that the film's nomination should be rescinded. However, we did discover social media and outreach campaigning tactics that caused concern. These tactics are being addressed with the responsible parties directly."

In a Los Angeles Times article, it was alleged that the director Michael Morris and his wife, actor Mary McCormack, contacted many celebrity friends to ask them for social media support with many resulting tweets containing similar wording to push the film. Neither of them are Academy members, however.

The film's official account also shared a post that quoted an excerpt from critic Richard Roeper's best films of the year, which spoke about Cate Blanchett's performance in Tár in comparison. An official Academy rule states that "any tactic that singles out 'the competition' by name or titles is expressly forbidden".

The statement from the Academy added: "The purpose of the Academy's campaign regulations is to ensure a fair and ethical awards process – these are core values of the Academy. Given this review, it is apparent that components of the regulations must be clarified to help create a better framework for respectful, inclusive, and unbiased campaigning. These changes will be made after this awards cycle and will be shared with our membership. The academy strives to create an environment where votes are based solely on the artistic and technical merits of the eligible films and achievements."

Earlier this month, Riseborough received support from her co-star in the film Marc Maron and actor Christina Ricci who claimed the investigation was "elitist and exclusive and frankly very backward to me".

Riseborough is included in the category alongside Cate Blanchett, Ana de Armas, Michelle Williams and Michelle Yeoh. The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw praised Riseborough in his review, singling out "a great performance". The film is being re-released in cinemas after only making $27,000 (£21,936) upon release.