News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Yeah, China's Zero Covid policy seems like one of those cases where a measure without the required follow-through does more damage than good.  If they followed up on the Zero Covid policy with widespread vaccination using effective vaccines, then this policy could actually have been the most effective policy in the world.  However, by botching the vaccination step, not only did Zero Covid policy just delay the inevitable at great cost, but it also set China up for the opposite of flattening the curve when they did let go of it.

Valmy

Ok so one of those times when a decent idea quickly turned into a counter-productive ego thing. Sort of like iconoclasm in religion  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Blizzard's contract with their Chinese partner has run out, and they've been unable to come to terms with them. Since having a Chinese partner is a requirement in the market, all Blizzard games are now officially offline in China (including WoW).

I've only skimmed the news articles, but I wonder how much of the breakup was state mandated, considering the government's crusade against video games.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

As I understand it, the breakup was largely because Blizzard demanded new terms that NetEase found too onerous.

Grey Fox

It's not all.

Diablo Immortal is still working.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 24, 2023, 12:38:51 PMIt's not all.

Diablo Immortal is still working.

Yeah, IIRC Diablo is on a separate contract.

Josquius

Curious the collapse would  be on blizzards side. Usually it is the Chinese side asking too much
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on January 24, 2023, 12:42:34 PMCurious the collapse would  be on blizzards side. Usually it is the Chinese side asking too much

Who knows, but the Chinese side has clearly communicated that they've found Blizzard unreasonable, including blaming much of the breakdown on one (unnamed, but it's Bobby Kotick) jerk.

QuoteSpeaking very candidly on LinkedIn, Simon Zhu, spoke of his disappointment with the separation, stating that he himself had spent "10,000 hours" playing Blizzard games and claiming that he was "heartbroken" not only for himself, but for "all of the players who lived in those worlds". Most pointedly, Zhu singles out an unnamed "jerk" at Activision Blizzard for, in Zhu's opinion, causing damage to the relationship.

"As a gamer who spent 10,000 hours in the world of Azeroth, Starcraft and Overwatch, I feel so heartbroken as I will no longer have the access to my account and memories next year," began Zhu. "One day, when what has happened behind the scene could be told, developers and gamers will have a whole new level [of] understanding of how much damage a jerk can make."

"Feel terrible for players who lived in those worlds."

As we reported earlier, Blizzard Entertainment will suspend service to its range of IPs in the China region, formerly distributed by NetEase. This includes hugely popular titles such as World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, Hearthstone, and Overwatch. It has since been confirmed that mobile title Diablo: Immortal falls under a separate contract and will continue to be distributed by NetEase.

Blizzard Entertainment is currently looking for a new partner to carry its products in the very financially lucrative territory in the future.

QuoteNetEase has released a statement noting that it found the proposed extension from Activision Blizzard "rude and unreasonable, inappropriate and commercially illogical".

"As far as we know, Blizzard's negotiations with other companies during the same period were all based on a three-year contract period, responds NetEase. "Considering the non-reciprocity, unfairness, and other strict conditions attached to the cooperation, the parties could not reach an agreement in the end."

In addition, NetEase accuses Activision Blizzard of "endless, exorbitant demands, taking free rides, and taking all advantages without responsibilities."

QuoteThere is a definitive element of "He said, She said" at play regarding the initial split, as both parties have commented that it was irreconcilable differences with the other that caused the 14-year publishing deal to not receive an extension. Various sources have cited money, data handling, and IP proposals as lynchpins for the failed contract negotiations, with NetEase president Simon Zhu going so far as to refer to an unnamed Activision Blizzard executive as a "jerk".

https://www.destructoid.com/activision-netease-for-collapse-of-china-publishing-partnership/

That doesn't mean that NetEase isn't being recalcitrant due to government directives or simple greed, but the story is "irreconcilable differences", with NetEase's version of what those are being the one with the most traction.

mongers

QuoteIn a memo dated February 1 but released on Friday, General Mike Minihan, who heads the Air Mobility Command, wrote to the leadership of its roughly 110,000 members saying: "My gut tells me we will fight in 2025."
:hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

What is interesting in one of stories I saw on that is...that an official spokesperson confirmed the contents of the memo, instead of refusing to comment.  Which almost sounds like they wanted it to be public.

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 30, 2023, 12:36:39 AMWhat is interesting in one of stories I saw on that is...that an official spokesperson confirmed the contents of the memo, instead of refusing to comment.  Which almost sounds like they wanted it to be public.

Indeed, though perhaps Xi will take the 'hint' where Putin didn't?

grumbler

I wouldn't sweat a quote of a single short sentence taken completely out of context.  He could have been discussing his marriage, for all that quote tells us.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

mongers

Jacob

"West Philippine Sea" indeed.