Who's the best basketball player of all time?

Started by jimmy olsen, January 17, 2023, 08:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's the best basketball player of all time

Wilt Chamberlain
1 (5%)
Kareem Abdul Jabar
5 (25%)
Magic Johnson
1 (5%)
Larry Bird
1 (5%)
Lebron James
1 (5%)
Bill Russel
2 (10%)
Michael Jordan
9 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 20

jimmy olsen

With Lebron James on pace to pass Kareem on the all time scoring list in 12 games (barring injury) and to move up to 4th on the all time assist list past Steve Nash in the next 8 games, I thought it was appropriate to revisit this question.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Kareem.

1964 and 1965 High School Basketball player of the year for the entire USA. Played for one of the greatest High School Basketball teams of all time: 1964 Power Memorial Academy. Went 79-2 as a High School player.

1967, 1968, and 1969 College Player of the Year. Played for one of the greatest College Basketball teams of all time: 1966 UCLA Bruins. Went 88-2 as a College player. Three time NCAA Tournament MVP. Three time National Champion.

1970 NBA Rookie of the Year. 1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977, and 1980 NBA Most Valuable Player. 19 time All-Star. 10 time First Team all NBA. Played for two of the greatest NBA Teams of all time: 1971 Milwaukee Bucks and the 1987 LA Lakers. 6 Time NBA Champion. 2 time NBA Finals MVP. 

I mean you might make a case that one of the other guys was a better NBA player but nobody dominated every level of Basketball for so long as Kareem did. Nobody has a resume like his. Every team he ever played for was a champion while he was there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2023, 08:52:00 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 17, 2023, 08:50:41 PMNo Michael Jordan?
Ah! That's meant to be choice one. Instead it's the title. :wacko:

I feel like this poll has been tainted. Much like the 2020 Lakers

My choice would not change though  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

I edited the poll, adding Jordan as an option and providing a title more line with Timmy's intention. Only three votes had been cast at the time.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on January 17, 2023, 10:38:42 PMI edited the poll, adding Jordan as an option and providing a title more line with Timmy's intention. Only three votes had been cast at the time.
Thank you!

1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

I don't know shit about basketball, so I'm just going to vote for Kareem because he had a funny bit in Airplane!

I know Jordan starred in Space Jam, and Lebron in Space Jam 2, but well I like Airplane! more.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2023, 11:11:06 PMI don't know shit about basketball, so I'm just going to vote for Kareem because he had a funny bit in Airplane!

I know Jordan starred in Space Jam, and Lebron in Space Jam 2, but well I like Airplane! more.

The right choice!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Voted Jordan. Hard to me to properly evaluate Kareem or Russel outside of their stats and winning records, wasn't around the see them play in their pomps. Russel's record is particularly ridiculous on paper.

There's a valid case for LeBron due to being great for a longer period of time - which has allowed him to stack all these crazy all-time records and led winning teams in different cities, but I feel that Jordan at his peak was just that wee bit more unstoppable than LeBron at his peak. I do feel that he was also a better defender, which while secondary it is important.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I don't know how the thread starter feels, but in my mind there's a difference between the best player and the greatest player. Greatest to me means (slightly simplified) that you have achieved more than anyone else (number of points scored, most important discoveries made, battles/wars won, or whatever it happens to be about), while best means being the most skillful. Now getting to my point: is there any player that in his prime was at least as good as the ones listed but was forced out of the game early by injury or death or whatever, thus unable to rack up total numbers?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on January 18, 2023, 03:28:53 AMNow getting to my point: is there any player that in his prime was at least as good as the ones listed but was forced out of the game early by injury or death or whatever, thus unable to rack up total numbers?

Bill Walton's foot split open early in his career and he continued to play but at a much lesser level.