Routine Shootings at US Schools and Universities Megathread.

Started by mongers, October 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

There are good moments, but not as tense as this one.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Well, people in red States don't want gun control, and they don't want Democrats for various reasons.  I can't see the Senate turning blue by the next midterm elections.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 30, 2022, 07:34:10 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2022, 09:53:47 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 28, 2022, 09:49:53 AMI would say it didn't amount to fuck all at all.

They did go in. Several of them followed the shooter into the school, and they did neutralize him and did save several lives in the process.

I would say that you don't need that much training to do the bare minimum expected of your job.

There is a piece in the New York Times written by the person who developed the FBI training for active shooting events.

"Current protocol and best practices say officers must persistently pursue efforts to neutralize a shooter when a shooting is underway. This is true even if only one officer is present. This is without question the right approach."

The writer then goes on to describe that the problem is likely that police officers undertake the training to tick a box and never really mentally prepare themselves for what what they must do in those high stress situations.

Yes and

Uvalde was a disaster.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Why can't we ever have a mass shooting at a prison or an Alt-Right rally?  Why can't it ever be someone who deserves it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 01, 2022, 11:38:50 PMWhy can't we ever have a mass shooting at a prison or an Alt-Right rally?  Why can't it ever be someone who deserves it?

They don't allow guns there.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on June 02, 2022, 12:23:04 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 01, 2022, 11:38:50 PMWhy can't we ever have a mass shooting at a prison or an Alt-Right rally?  Why can't it ever be someone who deserves it?

:lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 02, 2022, 12:23:04 AM

They're cynics and exploiters, but they're not stupid.

The Minsky Moment

Not a defense of the conduct of Uvalde PD, but I don't find it entirely surprising that the PD of a rinky-dinky exurban town of 15,000 people - finding itself confronted by a crazed deadly shooter in a confined space - opted for discretion over valor.  The context makes that choice very ugly indeed but the self-preservation instinct is powerful. Small town PDs sign up for govt job benefits and a uniform with the expectation of handling some DUIs, petty thefts, and the like.  The Uvalde PD undoubtedly merits an ample share of blame, but blame also needs to cast on social choices that result in police being forced into the position of risking their lives to confront armored killers wielding deadly weapons and an arsenal of ammo.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zoupa

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2022, 11:59:04 AMNot a defense of the conduct of Uvalde PD, but I don't find it entirely surprising that the PD of a rinky-dinky exurban town of 15,000 people - finding itself confronted by a crazed deadly shooter in a confined space - opted for discretion over valor.  The context makes that choice very ugly indeed but the self-preservation instinct is powerful. Small town PDs sign up for govt job benefits and a uniform with the expectation of handling some DUIs, petty thefts, and the like.  The Uvalde PD undoubtedly merits an ample share of blame, but blame also needs to cast on social choices that result in police being forced into the position of risking their lives to confront armored killers wielding deadly weapons and an arsenal of ammo.

In that case, it seems 50% of the municipal budget is not warranted.

The Minsky Moment

It's only 40%. And it also includes animal control, so there's that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Zoupa on June 02, 2022, 12:30:27 PMIn that case, it seems 50% of the municipal budget is not warranted.

I don't know. The two main small town municipal budget priorities are education and police, and education seems like a dumb thing to spend money on if your kids won't survive to adulthood.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Zoupa may not be aware that in the US it is common that local education spending is not done through the municipal budget but through a separately operated and managed school district. That appears to be the case with Uvalde.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2022, 11:59:04 AMNot a defense of the conduct of Uvalde PD, but I don't find it entirely surprising that the PD of a rinky-dinky exurban town of 15,000 people - finding itself confronted by a crazed deadly shooter in a confined space - opted for discretion over valor.  The context makes that choice very ugly indeed but the self-preservation instinct is powerful. Small town PDs sign up for govt job benefits and a uniform with the expectation of handling some DUIs, petty thefts, and the like.  The Uvalde PD undoubtedly merits an ample share of blame, but blame also needs to cast on social choices that result in police being forced into the position of risking their lives to confront armored killers wielding deadly weapons and an arsenal of ammo.

So why did they have a SWAT unit then?