Real RPGs, none of that new fangled computer bullshit

Started by CountDeMoney, June 11, 2017, 10:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I played For The Queen, one of those card-prompted free form RPGs. It was great fun, I haven't played that kind of RPG before. No prep and lots of story in a short time. Nice.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2022, 02:36:18 PMI played For The Queen, one of those card-prompted free form RPGs. It was great fun, I haven't played that kind of RPG before. No prep and lots of story in a short time. Nice.

Have you tried Fiasco? It's a great base for single session freeform RPing, and it has tons of free modules out there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2022, 03:07:35 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2022, 02:36:18 PMI played For The Queen, one of those card-prompted free form RPGs. It was great fun, I haven't played that kind of RPG before. No prep and lots of story in a short time. Nice.

Have you tried Fiasco? It's a great base for single session freeform RPing, and it has tons of free modules out there.

Haven't tried it. But it's not impossible I might, I think one of my gaming groups has played it.

The Brain

I read The One Ring: Ruins of the Lost Realm, which describes Eriador in late TA. In many ways it's fine, nice layout and illustrations, but in some ways it feels off. For instance, there's an adventure site where the PCs can find [SPOILER]a stash of important items from Fornost that Arvedui had to abandon in his flight. This would seem like a major find to me and most PCs, and you expect there to be interesting unique artifacts, not necessarily combat stuff but cool stuff, with potential for further adventure to bring it to interested parties or similar. Except they have all rotted away and there's only some gold details left that can be collected for a monetary reward. Wut? Yeah cause not finding cool old stuff is soo Tolkienesque.

One basic problem of the The One Ring RPG is the setting, near the end of TA. Yeah you can meet Bilbo etc, but the land is so very empty. They even resurrected Tharbad just to have a city to present. The old MERP had as its main setting TA 1640 (IIRC), which made for a more lively world, and with greater freedom. NB it wasn't the only era, for instance the Moria module was set after the Dwarves left.

Sophie Scholl

Yeah. The timing is a little rough for TOR. I absolutely love the system and it was an amazing one to play in as a player (and from what I've heard to gm, too), but the timing is meh. Especially with the focus on the North so much. The original plan for 2nd edition was to be set in Gondor, but they changed it.

I still hope to one day run a campaign adapting some of the MERP and other ideas/eras into either a fall of the North Kingdom/Arthedain campaign or a fall of Minas Ithil campaign. The latter seems to have been done in the second Shadows of Mordor game I think? Which... makes it a bit of a pain to re-do, but also means there is a lot of great content for visuals of things. Also, there is the MERP book and map for Minas Ithil (which I own). Ultimately though, I think it would be a lot of fun and provide some amazing rp possibilities to have the party be part of the contingent of Hobbit archers sent from the Shire to the Battle of Fornost.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."