Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on April 04, 2022, 12:30:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2022, 11:21:09 AMHow's that?  A stake that big can signal a takeover bid.  A takeover means a premium on the current price.  Makes perfect sense for the price to rise.

I see your point that it would raise prices if a take over to occur, but I have no idea why.

How does that make Twitter more valuable? If tesla owns Twitter what are they going to do, put out some poorly assembled tweets?

Elon is just a weird phenomenon. Like when he made a vague tweet and a companies value went up 3000% 

The more obvious conclusion is that people can convince themselves of anything.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 04, 2022, 12:20:18 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 04, 2022, 11:16:12 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2022, 09:56:57 AMElon has disclosed a 9.2% share of Twitter stock.  Stock price jumped 25%.

And this is why the market makes no sense.

Your first mistake is assuming the market ever makes sense.  The notion of rational buyers and sellers is an assumption economists need to make to create their models.  They cannot model actual behaviour and particularly irrational decisions. 

I'm obviously not an economist so the hell if I know. The stock market just seems like an old school rich people board game that somehow became a thing everyone wants in on. It's 50 times bigger now then it was in the 80s and a lot of transactions are run by algorithms.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on April 04, 2022, 12:40:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 04, 2022, 12:20:18 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 04, 2022, 11:16:12 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2022, 09:56:57 AMElon has disclosed a 9.2% share of Twitter stock.  Stock price jumped 25%.

And this is why the market makes no sense.

Your first mistake is assuming the market ever makes sense.  The notion of rational buyers and sellers is an assumption economists need to make to create their models.  They cannot model actual behaviour and particularly irrational decisions. 

I'm obviously not an economist so the hell if I know. The stock market just seems like an old school rich people board game that somehow became a thing everyone wants in on. It's 50 times bigger now then it was in the 80s and a lot of transactions are run by algorithms.

The thing you need to understand is guys like Yi who try to find rational reasons for why the shares of particular companies go up or down in value are just kidding themselves.  But they have to because they bought the line that the market is the amalgamation of all the decisions of rational decision makers.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on April 04, 2022, 12:30:58 PMI see your point that it would raise prices if a take over to occur, but I have no idea why.

How does that make Twitter more valuable? If tesla owns Twitter what are they going to do, put out some poorly assembled tweets?

Elon is just a weird phenomenon. Like when he made a vague tweet and a companies value went up 3000% 

First the party taking over *has to* pay a premium, else the current shareholders won't want to give up their shares.

Second, they *can* pay a premium because they believe they can increase profits, by cutting costs, or "creating synergies" with their existing company, or stripping out the assets and selling off the carcass.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on April 04, 2022, 12:40:12 PMI'm obviously not an economist so the hell if I know. The stock market just seems like an old school rich people board game that somehow became a thing everyone wants in on. It's 50 times bigger now then it was in the 80s and a lot of transactions are run by algorithms.

It became a thing because brokerage fees got a lot cheaper, online brokerages made trading easy peasy, and they stopped quoting prices in eighths of a dollar.

Jacob

So what do you reckon?

Will Trump get his Twitter account back now that Elon Musk is on the board, and the largest shareholder of Twitter?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2022, 11:21:09 AMHow's that?  A stake that big can signal a takeover bid.  A takeover means a premium on the current price.  Makes perfect sense for the price to rise.

8-K filed today: "For so long as Mr. Musk is serving on the Board and for 90 days thereafter, Mr. Musk will not, either alone or as a member of a group, become the beneficial owner of more than 14.9% of the Company's common stock outstanding at such time, including for these purposes economic exposure through derivative securities, swaps, or hedging transactions."
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2022, 11:26:37 AMSo what do you reckon?

Will Trump get his Twitter account back now that Elon Musk is on the board, and the largest shareholder of Twitter?

I knew Musk was a dick but is he a trumpy?
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on April 05, 2022, 11:36:31 AM

I knew Musk was a dick but is he a trumpy?

He tweeted pro-convoy stuff, at least. And Trump and Musk are social peers, as well. I don't think it's a given, but neither is it impossible... which is why I ask.

Syt

Good way to potentially start a mass exodus.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Musk's beefs so far have been with the SEC and California, for locking down his factory.  I've personally never caught a whiff of Trumpishness from him.

Admiral Yi

That being said, I sure hope Elon doesn't do anything boneheaded at Twitter that kills the Tesla brand.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2022, 03:26:52 PM

Musk's beefs so far have been with the SEC and California, for locking down his factory.  I've personally never caught a whiff of Trumpishness from him.

He tweeted in support of the "freedom" convoy in Canada, which is firmly across the line as far as I'm concerned.

And being a billionaire tech bro, I wouldn't be surprised to see him embrace free speech absolutism when it doesn't affect him personally. But that's just a hunch on my side.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2022, 06:30:05 PMThat being said, I sure hope Elon doesn't do anything boneheaded at Twitter that kills the Tesla brand.

He called a rescuer a pedophile, with no repercussions. I think the brand is fine :lol:

I just wish tesla concentrate more on the power walls and solar.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

A stock ownership sidebar, or as Raz would say: question.

What's the dodgiest stock you own, or would be wiling to own?  In terms of climate, or governance, employee treatment or whatever.

I own Uber and I own Alerian Master Limited Partnership  ETF, a US oil pipeline ETF.