Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 07, 2022, 07:53:00 AMChanneling Emperor Hirohito, I'm beginning to think that I may not have bought those Lloyds shares at the most opportune time  :hmm:

Holy F. And it was starting to look like it's coming back, too.

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, though I mainly get them through funds listed in London.

Edit : In reply to Yi earlier.

Josquius

I'm getting vibes the worst may be over and it's time to invest in stuff.

Non Russian gas companies or... Something?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Habbaku

You should stop trying to time the market and just invest.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on March 09, 2022, 09:36:52 AMI'm getting vibes the worst may be over and it's time to invest in stuff.

Buy tech names that have been beaten up.  Can you buy US ETFs?  Buy Cathie Woods' Ark Innovation fund (ARKK I think).  It has been absolutely hammered.

I think even Amazon is down 30% of its high. Meta/Facebook has been killed but I don't like Facebook.

I'm giving thought to selling puts on Palantir (down c. 75%) but Buffet says don't buy any company if you don't know how they make money.  Anyone know what it is they do?

DGuller

From what I'm reading, they're not making any money, so there is nothing to know.  You can go ahead and buy.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on March 28, 2022, 05:48:25 PMFrom what I'm reading, they're not making any money, so there is nothing to know.  You can go ahead and buy.

:lmfao:

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2022, 05:31:02 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 09, 2022, 09:36:52 AMI'm getting vibes the worst may be over and it's time to invest in stuff.

Buy tech names that have been beaten up.  Can you buy US ETFs?  Buy Cathie Woods' Ark Innovation fund (ARKK I think).  It has been absolutely hammered.

I think even Amazon is down 30% of its high. Meta/Facebook has been killed but I don't like Facebook.

I'm giving thought to selling puts on Palantir (down c. 75%) but Buffet says don't buy any company if you don't know how they make money.  Anyone know what it is they do?

This etf doesn't exist for me.

Think I missed the boat on buying tech names. Amazon looks to be nearly back to where it was a few months ago.

As to palantir... Aren't they American Cambridge analytica?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Buy Square. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzEi7VCObJg

Many stock splits.

Amazon 20-1
Google 20-1
Apple 4-1
Tesla 5-1

I own 5 shares of Google, so after the split I'll be able to write a covered call.  :yeah:

Admiral Yi

Elon has disclosed a 9.2% share of Twitter stock.  Stock price jumped 25%.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2022, 09:56:57 AMElon has disclosed a 9.2% share of Twitter stock.  Stock price jumped 25%.

And this is why the market makes no sense.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

How's that?  A stake that big can signal a takeover bid.  A takeover means a premium on the current price.  Makes perfect sense for the price to rise.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on April 04, 2022, 11:16:12 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2022, 09:56:57 AMElon has disclosed a 9.2% share of Twitter stock.  Stock price jumped 25%.

And this is why the market makes no sense.

Your first mistake is assuming the market ever makes sense.  The notion of rational buyers and sellers is an assumption economists need to make to create their models.  They cannot model actual behaviour and particularly irrational decisions. 

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2022, 11:21:09 AMHow's that?  A stake that big can signal a takeover bid.  A takeover means a premium on the current price.  Makes perfect sense for the price to rise.

I see your point that it would raise prices if a take over to occur, but I have no idea why.

How does that make Twitter more valuable? If tesla owns Twitter what are they going to do, put out some poorly assembled tweets?

Elon is just a weird phenomenon. Like when he made a vague tweet and a companies value went up 3000% 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.