And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on October 23, 2019, 10:53:40 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 23, 2019, 10:53:01 AM
Baronies in CK2 are just spam. Half my events always seem to involve barons, majors or whatever I couldn't care less about.

Yes I am all for cutting them out but then why make baronies the default map unit?

Tactical positioning, according to the article.

Anyway, I'm sold based on what of the other questions are answered above.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on October 23, 2019, 11:09:55 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 23, 2019, 10:53:40 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 23, 2019, 10:53:01 AM
Baronies in CK2 are just spam. Half my events always seem to involve barons, majors or whatever I couldn't care less about.

Yes I am all for cutting them out but then why make baronies the default map unit?

Tactical positioning, according to the article.

Not really sure that they need baronies for that though. Nor sure that tactical positioning was a key thing missing with CK3.

Quote from: Habbaku on October 23, 2019, 11:09:55 AM
Anyway, I'm sold based on what of the other questions are answered above.

It mostly sounds good though also very clear that it will be quite shorn of features at the start. The good thing, as with each iteration, is they can clean up all the various bits of chrome that arose over the years and better streamline as coherent setup.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

So for example, if your character has the trait 'Cruel', but you try to be nice to everyone, you might have a little bit of an existential crisis.

I do like this. As I play CKII, I always try to base my decisions on my traits, but gamewise there is no compelling reason to do so. So I may have a cruel trait but still help find my kid's toys.  I like that this MAY force you to play according to your traits.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

The trouble there, and its a huge one that no game has ever really managed to solve...is how do you make 'losing' fun.
You spent hours and generations painstakingly building an empire and then you get an utter nitwit king under whom it all collapses.
How do you make this fun for the player.
Its why paradox games always devolve into paint the map pink(/colour of your choice) athons.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

I enjoy losing in CK2 a lot.

Which is good since that is mostly what I do.

The speed in which your rich and prosperous realm can go to shit is impressive.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

QuoteYou will also not be able to pick specific dates after 1066 like you could in Crusader Kings 2, as Paradox has found this is very difficult to support and almost no one uses the feature.

Very disappointing - this is a great feature that really adds to historical immersion.  You can load up as Henry the Lion at the height of his power in 1156 or take on the challenge of young Konradin of Hohenstaufen in 1267, trying to restore old family glories.  Options are almost limitless and losing that is a big blow. 

Nothing against RPG elements but at its core CK is a Paradox map game and this really is a turn away from the core audience for that kind of game.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Wait they are taking that feature away?

Well fuck it, I will just stick to CK2. I spent enough damn money on it anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 24, 2019, 12:25:24 PM
QuoteYou will also not be able to pick specific dates after 1066 like you could in Crusader Kings 2, as Paradox has found this is very difficult to support and almost no one uses the feature.

Very disappointing - this is a great feature that really adds to historical immersion.  You can load up as Henry the Lion at the height of his power in 1156 or take on the challenge of young Konradin of Hohenstaufen in 1267, trying to restore old family glories.  Options are almost limitless and losing that is a big blow. 

Nothing against RPG elements but at its core CK is a Paradox map game and this really is a turn away from the core audience for that kind of game.

Translation of Paradoxian to English - We don't want to spend the money to put in a feature that only hard core fans of the game would appreciate.

garbon

I'll admit I never really used it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

I used it occasionally, but definitely never felt it was a core feature. They'll almost certainly add it back in at some point or have mods do it. Until then, I don't see the problem with focusing on their "main" scenarios to better balance things.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on October 24, 2019, 01:38:44 PM
Until then, I don't see the problem with focusing on their "main" scenarios to better balance things.

Well that's a given.  I don't expect that if I use a custom date everything will be perfectly balanced, accurate and bug free.  But the issue is the value of that feature versus some of the more fantasy RPG elements.  I get that the latter has helped expand their market reach, but while it's a good thing for Pdx to do well as a company, I don't like to see it come at the expense of their base.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

My understanding is that they're removing some of the RPG-fantasy elements too, though? Or all of them, even? Unless I've missed something.

I don't disagree it's a neat feature to have, but I also don't see it as a vital at-launch one either.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on October 24, 2019, 02:07:06 PM
My understanding is that they're removing some of the RPG-fantasy elements too, though? Or all of them, even? Unless I've missed something.

Quote4. You won't be able to play as a Baron, but you can be a Witch

From the US gamer piece
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Do they just mean I can be a pagan or like a sold my soul to satan type?