Real RPGs, none of that new fangled computer bullshit

Started by CountDeMoney, June 11, 2017, 10:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on October 17, 2017, 01:18:19 PM
I just got delivery of a fuckton of books for the new Conan RPG. Got some reading to do...

If you have any Warhammer 40k books, you may want to check their resale prices, some Deathwatch and Rogue Trader books are hitting $200+ USD these days.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2017, 01:26:12 PM
I just got delivery of a fuckton of books for the new Conan RPG. Got some reading to do...

If you have any Warhammer 40k books, you may want to check their resale prices, some Deathwatch and Rogue Trader books are hitting $200+ USD these days.

Ooh, nice. I got lots.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I figured you would :D

I'm jettisoning all of mine, but I figured I'd see prices in the $25-$45 range; there's a good half dozen I've seen hit $80 to $120.

Sophie Scholl

After more than a month off, my group finally managed to (mostly) all attend a session and continue our adventures in Middle Earth using Cubicle One's The One Ring series.  I've always been a huge Tolkien fan and this series has managed to best capture the feeling of the setting in my opinion.  I am still sorely tempted to utilize old MERP books to come up with a campaign set during the fall of the North Kingdom.  I think it could be a lot of fun.  It's good to get back in the saddle with this group though.  I missed the feeling of partaking during the years I took off.  My friend who is the GM of this group is also in a few other campaigns, including an amazing sounding Lewis and Clark inspired with a bit of fantasy thrown in Pathfinder campaign he's running/creating/adapting.  I might try to work my way into that one as well.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 19, 2017, 12:53:35 AM
After more than a month off, my group finally managed to (mostly) all attend a session and continue our adventures in Middle Earth using Cubicle One's The One Ring series.  I've always been a huge Tolkien fan and this series has managed to best capture the feeling of the setting in my opinion.  I am still sorely tempted to utilize old MERP books to come up with a campaign set during the fall of the North Kingdom.  I think it could be a lot of fun.  It's good to get back in the saddle with this group though.  I missed the feeling of partaking during the years I took off.  My friend who is the GM of this group is also in a few other campaigns, including an amazing sounding Lewis and Clark inspired with a bit of fantasy thrown in Pathfinder campaign he's running/creating/adapting.  I might try to work my way into that one as well.

God, I wish I still had those old MERP books.  They were such fantastic resources.

BA, you ever try to get into RPGs that are less table- and dice-driven, labor intensive and more lightweight and narrative-friendly?   

CountDeMoney

Well?

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2017, 08:56:22 PM

Well?

Well I've glanced at them all and started reading the main rulebook. I like it so far, it does appear to be the ultimate in Conan RPGing. I also like the fact that they're basing it on Howard's stories and don't include stuff from later authors.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

CountDeMoney

I remember going to the barber shop as a little tyke, like 5 or so, and seeing Conan the Barbarian comic books on the table like that cover. 
Would give me the heebie-jeebies, but at the same time, made me want to learn more about chicks in bikini chain mail.  So conflicted.

Solmyr

Quote from: The Brain on October 25, 2017, 06:18:37 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on October 25, 2017, 03:57:39 AM
There's a new Conan RPG?

https://www.modiphius.net/collections/conan

https://www.modiphius.com/conan-rpg-product-line.html Wave 1 has just been released.

Interesting. Wonder how much the fluff overlaps with the d20 version. I'm planning to convert my Conan d20 campaign to Fate Core, so I don't need new rules, but if these guys publish some interesting setting info or adventures, it could be useful.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2017, 08:54:49 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 19, 2017, 12:53:35 AM

God, I wish I still had those old MERP books.  They were such fantastic resources.

BA, you ever try to get into RPGs that are less table- and dice-driven, labor intensive and more lightweight and narrative-friendly?
I've yet to run into a system like that.  I think I'd enjoy the heck out of it, especially with the right players and GM.  Alas, that type of crew seems as unlikely as finding a great set of rules for such a setup.  Far too many people in my extended group of roleplaying people are min/max-ers who are more concerned with "winning" and going all in on combat, loot, and the like than the narrative experience.  It's a shame really, as I think the story telling and narrative aspects are my favorite part of games and why I enjoy them so much.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Solmyr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2017, 08:54:49 PM

You can find most of them online... :perv:

saskganesh

I'm currently playing in a 1st ed AD&D game and a 2nd ed Rolemaster game. Both have their strengths. When I run a game, my default is an OSR hack, and mix things up from various TSR D&D editions and clones.

Most people seem to be playing 5th edition or Pathfinder. I'd try 5th with the right group of people.

Oh and there's a whole lot of people who like to talk about RPGS, read them, and buy them, but never seem to make the time to play. Of course, they always make time for everything and anything else.

humans were created in their own image