News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 01, 2022, 01:30:14 PM"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!"

One wonders what the all powerful god was waiting for

Maybe he's also looking for a janitor with a key to the door.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Minsky Moment

That's really something.  It's hard to think of a more effective argument against religion than that.  "stormed through Heaven's Gate"???  Truly revolting. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2022, 02:30:18 PMThat's really something.  It's hard to think of a more effective argument against religion than that.  "stormed through Heaven's Gate"???  Truly revolting. 

It's really hokey, but "At least they're in a better place now" has been a way of dealing with unimaginable tragedy for centuries.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2022, 02:36:50 PMIt's really hokey, but "At least they're in a better place now" has been a way of dealing with unimaginable tragedy for centuries.

Sure, but the way it is written it sounds like the killer had the right idea and the only issue was that not enough people were killed.

It's tough to interpret this as anything other than a threat after celebrating that 19 kids died, "He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of Mom and Dad."" 

Barrister

Quote from: frunk on June 01, 2022, 02:53:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2022, 02:36:50 PMIt's really hokey, but "At least they're in a better place now" has been a way of dealing with unimaginable tragedy for centuries.

Sure, but the way it is written it sounds like the killer had the right idea and the only issue was that not enough people were killed.

It's tough to interpret this as anything other than a threat after celebrating that 19 kids died, "He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of Mom and Dad."" 

:huh:

Like I said it's poorly written and hokey, but other than the brief and vague turn into earthly politics I only took it as an attempt at comfort.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on June 01, 2022, 02:53:56 PMSure, but the way it is written it sounds like the killer had the right idea and the only issue was that not enough people were killed.

That's a very strange way to interpret it.

Zanza

Why is the BIG embrace written in upper case?

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on June 01, 2022, 03:49:55 PMWhy is the BIG embrace written in upper case?

Have you ever written a screenplay?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2022, 03:01:43 PM
Quote from: frunk on June 01, 2022, 02:53:56 PMSure, but the way it is written it sounds like the killer had the right idea and the only issue was that not enough people were killed.

I mean there's always been a certain level of tension in Christian thinking around death - that if Heaven is so great and wonderful then we really should all drink the kool-aid and get there as fast as we can!  Christian theology on the other hand is said to revere life so suicide is considered sinful, making earthly existence some kind of penance we have to go through before going to Heaven.

But the way frunk looks at it anytime you say "well they're in a better place now" you could be accused of taking the side of the shooter/cancer/drunk driver/heart disease...

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2022, 04:09:21 PMBut the way frunk looks at it anytime you say "well they're in a better place now" you could be accused of taking the side of the shooter/cancer/drunk driver/heart disease...

It sounds very mobsterish to me, I'll "take care" of Mom and Dad.  Saying that someone is in a better place is different from having people in heaven worry about those who aren't and Jesus saying that the parent's problems will be rectified.

Barrister

Quote from: frunk on June 01, 2022, 04:24:50 PMIt sounds very mobsterish to me, I'll "take care" of Mom and Dad.  Saying that someone is in a better place is different from having people in heaven worry about those who aren't and Jesus saying that the parent's problems will be rectified.

Context matters!

Did you really think that in that mawkish drivel that Jesus was saying he'd go murder the child's parents so they could also be in Heaven?

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2022, 04:09:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2022, 03:01:43 PM

I mean there's always been a certain level of tension in Christian thinking around death - that if Heaven is so great and wonderful then we really should all drink the kool-aid and get there as fast as we can!  Christian theology on the other hand is said to revere life so suicide is considered sinful, making earthly existence some kind of penance we have to go through before going to Heaven.

But the way frunk looks at it anytime you say "well they're in a better place now" you could be accused of taking the side of the shooter/cancer/drunk driver/heart disease...
But that is the point - this isn't suicide, so according to that theology, and this interpretation, the killer did them all a favor.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2022, 02:36:50 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2022, 02:30:18 PMThat's really something.  It's hard to think of a more effective argument against religion than that.  "stormed through Heaven's Gate"???  Truly revolting. 

It's really hokey, but "At least they're in a better place now" has been a way of dealing with unimaginable tragedy for centuries.

Put the best possible spin on it, and it still amounts to minimizing and trivializing the reality of what happened, all in the name of making *us* feel better about it.  These kids aren't "storming" anything, they were brutally murdered.  And if we can't even accept that basic reality and deal with the real life consequences, we are truly lost.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson