News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Syt on July 01, 2023, 01:38:46 AMSay what you will, but our company trips go to nice places. :cool:

Nearby we came by a castle that looked familiar (took no pic, unfortunately):

It was featured in Where Eagles Dare. :o

Also, my sunscreen failed and I got a sunburn on Thursday. Stepping into sunlight yesterday felt like

:cool:

Verynice trip Syt, save for ODing on the sunlight. :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Two museums this afternoon in Northern Hampshire, Andover's museum of the Iron Age which is excellent for connections to the famous Danebury hillfort excavations and Basingstoke's Milestones museum, which is new to me.

Basically a huge aircraft type hanger with a couple of streets worth of Victorian/early 20th century shops and workshops built out of bricks inside it.

Maladict

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

In that vein if anyone is ever near Newcastle in the North-east of England this place is a must visit https://www.beamish.org.uk/

There are working trams and steam trains you can use to get around the site and even a small drift mine you can go into  :cool:

Josquius

That was my thoughts too, looks like an indoor Beamish.
I remember taking the university international society there and having to translate Geordie to English for them in the mine :lol:
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 10, 2023, 01:58:11 AMIn that vein if anyone is ever near Newcastle in the North-east of England this place is a must visit https://www.beamish.org.uk/

There are working trams and steam trains you can use to get around the site and even a small drift mine you can go into  :cool:

Yeah, want to go there, but to pull a 'reverse-Josq'. it a hell of a way for me, I think Bordeaux might be nearer?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on August 10, 2023, 09:05:38 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 10, 2023, 01:58:11 AMIn that vein if anyone is ever near Newcastle in the North-east of England this place is a must visit https://www.beamish.org.uk/

Yeah, want to go there, but to pull a 'reverse-Josq'. it a hell of a way for me, I think Bordeaux might be nearer?

Yeah, Bordeaux is like 2 hours away from Paris only, centre to centre, though not by steam train.  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on August 09, 2023, 05:34:02 PMTwo museums this afternoon in Northern Hampshire, Andover's museum of the Iron Age which is excellent for connections to the famous Danebury hillfort excavations and Basingstoke's Milestones museum, which is new to me.

Basically a huge aircraft type hanger with a couple of streets worth of Victorian/early 20th century shops and workshops built out of bricks inside it.

Cool, if you ever get to Calgary, they have something similar at the City's Heritage Park.  :)

Tamas

Thanks Mongers, Basingstoke is quite close to us and I didn't know that thing existed, looks cool. :)

mongers

Passing through Portsmouth yesteday, I stopped off to visit HMS Victory and HMS Warrior.  :bowler:

mongers

Lovely evening in the New Forest, pigs out foraging for acorns, a deer herd 'chilling' in the meadows, donkeys and horses looking resplendent in their new coats.

Best of all a red kite flew 20-30ft above me as I cycled down a lane, only ever seen them in the far distance before.  :)
I lot like this one, but more of a juvenile with a buff underbody:

Maladict

Having a drink in Frankfurt, watching a small Palestine demonstration across the street. About 20 people, chanting about peace and ending the war. More than half are women and kids. Within 15 minutes dozens of police vans turn up, there must be at least a hundred police in riot gear. Cordoning of streets and stopping public transport. It looks utterly ridiculous.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on November 11, 2023, 10:54:37 AMHaving a drink in Frankfurt, watching a small Palestine demonstration across the street. About 20 people, chanting about peace and ending the war. More than half are women and kids. Within 15 minutes dozens of police vans turn up, there must be at least a hundred police in riot gear. Cordoning of streets and stopping public transport. It looks utterly ridiculous.

Sounds like your average demonstration in Frankfurt.  :P
Did they attempt to demonstrate on the Ziel or Konstabler/Hauptwache or what?  :D

My favourite is anarchists demonstrating and being protected/isolated by the state police.  :P

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 14, 2023, 08:39:06 AM
Quote from: Maladict on November 11, 2023, 10:54:37 AMHaving a drink in Frankfurt, watching a small Palestine demonstration across the street. About 20 people, chanting about peace and ending the war. More than half are women and kids. Within 15 minutes dozens of police vans turn up, there must be at least a hundred police in riot gear. Cordoning of streets and stopping public transport. It looks utterly ridiculous.

Sounds like your average demonstration in Frankfurt.  :P
Did they attempt to demonstrate on the Ziel or Konstabler/Hauptwache or what?  :D

My favourite is anarchists demonstrating and being protected/isolated by the state police.  :P

It was near the big Euro sign. On the pavement, well away from traffic. Still, all the trams had to be stopped  :lol: