News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Tamas - Today at 07:32:28 AM
I haven't been following these protests at all, but was it really that impossible to just let them sit there and get bored? Were they preventing access to buildings?
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Tamas - Today at 07:31:05 AM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 06:58:56 AMUnrelated to local elections but saw this yesterday and got me thinking on the topic of phasing out gas boilers  a lot.

I have heard of some experiments locally in the area...but it is mystifying we aren't doing this more as it sounds so tried and tested. Why are we putting so much into air source heat pumps when we've so many disused mines we can be using in many parts of the country- as the guy here says, heavily parts that could really use cheaper energy and are more likely to be susceptible to anti-green populist nonsense.

Never would go past fear of earthquakes. Just build nuclear.
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Savonarola - Today at 07:22:25 AM
Quote from: celedhring on Today at 12:53:40 AMMmmmm... This made me think. I remember there was a cafeteria in the basement of Hamilton Hall... But it seems it's not there anymore. Damn, this somehow made me feel old.

The first rule of guerilla warfare is always pack a lunch.  The second is to seize the food court.  TE Lawrence covers these both extensively in "Seven Pillars of Wisdom."

QuoteAlso, there were quite a few campus protests when I was over there. One got quite nasty (although not as much as this one, for sure). But these things eventually just blow over. In Europe we get those dime a dozen.

Given the fortitude the protestors have shown thus far I expect they'll stand in solidarity with the Palestinians throughout eternity or until the start of summer vacation, whichever comes first.

;)

Seizing buildings is unusual here, and reminiscent of the 1960s era student protest (my dad was burned out of his dorm in a race riot.)  I think that is why this has garnered so much attention.  It's also unusual in that the protests are limited largely to universities (although not entirely, there was a large one in majority-Muslim Detroit suburb of Dearborn.)
Gaming HQ / Re: New Paradox Tinto Game - "...
Last post by Syt - Today at 07:07:28 AM
With all these systems they plan to implement it's either too complex to meaningfully manage yourself in a game that aims to span 500 years. Or you automate it and don't bother at which point - why bother and not abstract it?

Feels like a Johan dream project, and not sure whether I'm impressed or turned off by this kitchen sink approach.
Gaming HQ / Re: PSA: Game Discounts
Last post by Syt - Today at 07:04:47 AM
Mass Effect Legendary Edition (i.e. ME1-3 + DLC remastered) is 90% off on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328670/Mass_Effect_Legendary_Edition/

€5.99
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Josquius - Today at 06:58:56 AM
Unrelated to local elections but saw this yesterday and got me thinking on the topic of phasing out gas boilers  a lot.

I have heard of some experiments locally in the area...but it is mystifying we aren't doing this more as it sounds so tried and tested. Why are we putting so much into air source heat pumps when we've so many disused mines we can be using in many parts of the country- as the guy here says, heavily parts that could really use cheaper energy and are more likely to be susceptible to anti-green populist nonsense.
Off the Record / Re: Elon Musk: Always A Douche
Last post by HVC - Today at 06:54:38 AM
It's one of their big competitive advantages, at least in North America, not sure how widespread non tesla charging is in Europe. Speaking for canada the infrastructure sucks in general, but even saying that tesla's is still better.
Off the Record / Re: Elon Musk: Always A Douche
Last post by Josquius - Today at 06:47:26 AM
The firing the whole charger team thing is weird. Heard today it's big sign along with some others that they're in trouble.
Gaming HQ / Re: New Paradox Tinto Game - "...
Last post by garbon - Today at 05:54:06 AM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 05:27:54 AMI'm a bit more optimistic. I think if it is heading down the trainwreck path it will have a tonne of stuff cut and be less than it promised but OK.

Quote from: Syt on Today at 03:36:11 AM
 :lmfao:

Seems sensible to me, why else mention it there?
It could just be something as little as you get a bonus for trade in shared/similar language centres or ups the odds of provinces being included in them.

As I said earlier this is what Magna Mundi had promised. Endless set of features covering all of the minute details. One big plus this has going for it here is that Johan is a veteran game designer not just a motley crew of modders.

I wonder if this game will be fun. It certainly seems like it will be the most impenetrable game for people not familiar with paradox games.
Off the Record / Re: Facebook Follies of Friend...
Last post by frunk - Today at 05:46:32 AM
Good news regardless of which side you are on, Musk does both.