2024 Portuguese snap Legislative Elections

Started by Duque de Bragança, March 12, 2024, 01:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Choose your poison to best of your knowledge and belief(s)

0 (0%)
1 (5.6%)
3 (16.7%)
1 (5.6%)
1 (5.6%)
4 (22.2%)
0 (0%)
8 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: March 20, 2024, 01:16:00 PM

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on March 13, 2024, 02:24:08 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 13, 2024, 02:20:12 PMYes, for Moors and/or Salazarists.  :P

Hey, if you kept bribing the refs Porto could be doing better. No need to be salty at Benfica for being ahead of you :D

May I remind you that Porto thrashed Benfica 5-0 last week? No need for that, leave it to the Moors er... Benfica.
Besides, even Benfica can't do that in European cups, they are no Franco F.C 1 or 2, Barça, Rubentus (insert your most hated team).

QuoteI don't actually follow Portuguese soccer :lol: my dad was a Benfica fan, his brothers sporting though.

It shows. Vide supra:P

Duque de Bragança

HVC

Now that you have caught up on Portuguese football, this meme will make sense to you  :P :

PS: 6 milhões is a reference to the alleged number of Benfiquistas in Portugal (out of 11 million Portuguese  :lol: ), according to their Propaganda Staffel.  :D

The most perceptive readers of this thread will have now figured it out about one of the options of the poll.  :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 13, 2024, 01:41:58 PMThink of the PSD as a bourgeois social-democrat party in the German style, as in post Bad Godesberg Program (1959), with Helmut Schmidt as a model. The left wing of the PSD is not that far apart from the right wing of the PS, as a matter of fact.
Maggie Thatcher always had a meeting with Helmut Schmidt whenever she visited Germany, reportedly she said she enjoyed talking to someone more right wing than her :lol: (And, of course, never got on with Kohl.)
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 27, 2024, 09:34:25 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 13, 2024, 01:41:58 PMThink of the PSD as a bourgeois social-democrat party in the German style, as in post Bad Godesberg Program (1959), with Helmut Schmidt as a model. The left wing of the PSD is not that far apart from the right wing of the PS, as a matter of fact.
Maggie Thatcher always had a meeting with Helmut Schmidt whenever she visited Germany, reportedly she said she enjoyed talking to someone more right wing than her :lol: (And, of course, never got on with Kohl.)

Now Kohl's CDU would be the model for the CDS-PP, the very junior partner of this AD, as in the only true conservatives, of the Christian-Drmocrat variety.

Results arrived, coming soon!

Spoiler : beach boy won, by a slight margin.
Hat boy was the real winner, however.

clandestino

Where can I apply to change last elections votes by the great wisdom of the Languish forum?

Interesting choice of photos btw  :D

HVC

Quote from: clandestino on Today at 02:35:10 AMWhere can I apply to change last elections votes by the great wisdom of the Languish forum?

Hello stranger :)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: clandestino on Today at 02:35:10 AMWhere can I apply to change last elections votes by the great wisdom of the Languish forum?

Obrigado!
Agora que o Sporting é campeão, regressas!  :D
Enfim, parabéns! :)
Espero que não tenhas muitas saudades do Pinto da Costa.  :P

clandestino

Quote from: HVC on Today at 05:48:25 AMHello stranger :)

One always returns, like a moth to the light :D

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on Today at 08:25:26 AMObrigado!
Agora que o Sporting é campeão, regressas!  :D
Enfim, parabéns! :)
Espero que não tenhas muitas saudades do Pinto da Costa.  :P

A few years ago I got really detached of our national league and Sporting as well, the Bruno Carvalho years didn't help. In the meantime my football pains go with Wolves in the Premier League and less with Estrela da Amadora as my local club. Don't care about the 3 big ones anymore.

Saying that, can't say I'm that sad with PC being retired, and its attack dogs waiting trial in jail. :lol: 

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: clandestino on Today at 08:47:13 AMA few years ago I got really detached of our national league and Sporting as well, the Bruno Carvalho years didn't help.

Oh, yes the ultra president. I can see why.  :P

QuoteIn the meantime my football pains go with Wolves in the Premier League and less with Estrela da Amadora as my local club. Don't care about the 3 big ones anymore.

From Charybdes to Scylla, I see.  :P The Wolves are basically a Portuguese Jorge Mendes vehicle football club.
Estrela de Amadora makes more sense than the —formerly– bourgeois/aristocratic/snob Sporting.  :P

QuoteSaying that, can't say I'm that sad with PC being retired, and its attack dogs waiting trial in jail. :lol: 

Retired by the sócios, not the PJ as in some other lisboete club(s) I could mention.  :P But yes, it was time to go, and probably a bit too late, as the club was not managed that well in later years (ahem). Still, for my generation, I only knew him as president of Porto and I for one won't deny his legacy.

So, speaking of dogs indeed merda não é, mas cagou-a o cão.  :lol:

No thoughts about André Ventura, an infamous pro-Benfica troll on a trashy TV "news" channel?  :P

clandestino

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on Today at 09:11:21 AMFrom Charybdes to Scylla, I see.  :P The Wolves are basically a Portuguese Jorge Mendes vehicle football club.

Not that much these days, it seems. Either because of financial fair play regulations or because the Fosun money has dried up, or both, the relation with Mendes seems somewhat distant. The flop of Fabio Silva did wonders for that as well, alongside a very competent manager that seems outside of his orbit.

There is still a strong Portuguese presence that helps, of course, and while it has diminished recently, the football played has improved which compensates for that. I don't think it's related though  :P

QuoteEstrela de Amadora makes more sense than the —formerly– bourgeois/aristocratic/snob Sporting.  :P
As you may know, in our generation at least, one doesn't chose a football club, he inherits it from his family. Mine (patrilineal line) is Sporting through and through. Not because of class, since they were at best, non-agrarian rural working class, but maybe because they were at its peak while my grandfather was young.

Regarding Estrela, got to see them a couple of times this season and it was nice, relaxed when compared with what I was used to. One of them was a 2-1 win over Estoril in the last minute of overtime, which was epic. :D

(Un)fortunatelly since I'm moving to a different area this summer (one that doesn't support a football club in the first 2 divisions for tenths of kms) and I'm not a native of Amadora, not sure if I'll keep the interest in the club forward.

QuoteNo thoughts about André Ventura, an infamous pro-Benfica troll on a trashy TV "news" channel?  :P
Yes, plenty of thoughts. Not nice ones though. :ph34r:

Jacob

So what were the conclusions - who won, in what ways, and what does it mean for Portugal's future?

... and who were each of the people?

Valmy

I do not understand the results of this election:

The Government, some kind of centrist alliance, has 80 seats

The opposition has 150 seats

Um...how does that work?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

clandestino

Quote from: Valmy on Today at 11:04:50 AMI do not understand the results of this election:

The Government, some kind of centrist alliance, has 80 seats

The opposition has 150 seats

Um...how does that work?

So far, it doesn't. :lol:

I'll write a longer explanation answering Jacob question.

But regarding the math, it's pretty simple, since none of the top 3 parties ally each other, there isn't any viable stable majority, only ad-hoc alliances and jockeying for victimization so they can reap some possible rewards in an upcoming election, maybe still this year.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on Today at 11:04:50 AMI do not understand the results of this election:

Fair enough.

QuoteThe Government, some kind of centrist alliance, has 80 seats

Centre-right, though by US or Texas standards, pinkos.  :P

QuoteThe opposition has 150 seats

Extreme-left, communists, whatever Greenish/lefty, Centre-left, and "right of the right" (for lack of a better word.
So there is not much common ground. Mind you, the PSD leader refused to ally with the right of the right (populist right), under pressure from the PS, while some PSD barons disagreed.

QuoteUm...how does that work?

Minority government, so it does not, really, except on a case-to-case basis.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on Today at 10:31:47 AMSo what were the conclusions - who won, in what ways, and what does it mean for Portugal's future?

... and who were each of the people?

1 Bruno Fialho

A loony candidate of the ADN party (sorry I did not come up with the idea), COVID skeptic if not denier who got his 15 minutes of fame on Portuguese TV by talking of the elephant in the room (the anti-COVID measures) during a debate with the other very minor candidates.

2 Inês de Sousa Real

From the PAN (Pessoas Animais Natureza) The Green candidate, more or less.

3 André Ventura

The Chega (Enough!) leader, a former PSD local politician who saw there was an opening after the collapse of the real conservative party, the CDS-PP (CDU light, German-style but pre-Merkel). Populist right, with a very effective social network communication and/or propaganda, but not exactly on the same page as Marine or Zemmour in France regarding the EU and NATO. He is anathema to the left.

4 Rui Tavares

Leader of the Livre party (free). Leftish, grass-roots centre-left/left green party.

5 Pedro Nuno Santos

PS leader. Spent the whole campaign contradicting himself, but given the horrendous hand he was given, did well. Almost on parity with PSD

6 Luis Montenegro (no connection with the Balkan country  :P )

™The Beach Boy™ PSD leader.
Refused to ally with André Ventura's party and is now paying the price for his political correctness. He won, but barely.
Seems to have some family connection not far from Bragança, from a village I know for having been there some times. Plu

7 Rui Rocha

Iniciativa Liberal leader, classical Liberal party (you can find them on LinkedIn!  :D ). Will and has supported the PSD (centre-right), from time to time.

8 Mariana Mortágua

Bloco de Esquerdas. Left-Wings Block
The far-left party, with Trots, Maos, whatever far left. Left of the PS, and not disciplined (stalinist?  :D ) enough to be part of the PCP.  :P
Oh, and one last thing:
Languish Darling vote is a lesbian, sorry.  :P Which may or may not turn some people on, at least here on Languish.