News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Razgovory - Today at 11:26:10 AM
I absolutely did not.
Not familiar with this news outlet, but if the quotation is accurate, it puts some nuance to the situation.

https://www.intellinews.com/us-secretary-of-state-blinken-says-ukraine-free-to-use-us-made-weapons-to-strike-russia-325478/

QuoteUS Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Ukraine has to "make its own choice" when deciding to use US-made weapons to strike targets inside Russia .

"We've not enabled or encouraged strikes outside of Ukraine, but ultimately, Ukraine has to make decisions for itself about how it's going to conduct this war," he said during a visit to Kyiv on May 15.

The remarks are a significant softening of the previous demands that Ukraine must not use Nato-made weapons on targets inside Russia, because of fears of escalation and provoking a retaliatory strike by Russia against a Nato country.

The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) responded with a strongly worded statement that reminded the West that Russia's military doctrine allows it to use nuclear weapons if attacked.

Incidentally a linked story indicates I may have misjudged the effectiveness of the refinery strikes.
Off the Record / Re: The China Thread
Last post by The Minsky Moment - Today at 11:10:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 16, 2024, 03:12:52 AMAnd this particular performance is especially horrible.

It's got the Riefenstahl Tinge.
Gaming HQ / Re: New Paradox Tinto Game - "...
Last post by HVC - Today at 11:02:33 AM
My favourite Wales tale is Edward promising to name a prince "born in Wales, who did not speak a word of English" to rule wales, and then naming his infant son :lol:
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 11:02:21 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on Today at 04:09:06 AMSecond war of Scottish independence :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_War_of_Scottish_Independence

It appears that 14th century Wales was run by a ragbag of Marcher Lords, other lords and some native leaders. Each of them administered their own courts of law and the link with England appears to be fealty to the crown. Also worth bearing in mind that the population of Wales back then was only 200k so arguably the whole conquest was a bit of a waste of resources.

Fair - there may not be many people, but it could be a staging post for an invasion of England, which I think was ultimately part of the logic for invasions, unions etc.
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 10:59:57 AM
Quote from: Valmy on Today at 01:15:11 AMWas there a separate system of law and a parliament for Wales prior to that point?
There was a Welsh legal system until the Tudors. It's very different to the history of Ireland or Scotland.

Wales was basically conquered and run as a potentially unruly province and then legally, politically and ecclesiastically effectively merged into England by the Tudors (a Welsh origin dynasty). It's not and has never really been a "union".
Last post by HVC - Today at 10:59:39 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on Today at 10:57:57 AM
Quote from: HVC on Today at 10:28:30 AM
Quote from: Tamas on Today at 10:25:21 AMLike or not OvB's delivery, but it is noticeable that pro-Palestinian actions be it like this ICC thing, or Labour Party rebels or just Guardian articles, seem to be dominated by Muslims.

Now, that may very well be a damning view on the rest of us not doing a thing. But overall non-Muslim indifference (at best, or a quiet pro-Israeli opinion) I think indicates two things: one is that this conflict is NOT such an existential drama for the US and UK as the pro-Palestinian side is making it out to be, and that there is a strong connection of Muslims to this conflict. The layman's assumption for the latter is the shared religion and thus cultural links, however this is far from being the only place where a Muslim population suffered brutally over the last couple of decades, just to mention Myanmar and China as the most recent examples. Yet there has not been nearly the efforts to force action from Western governments in protection of those people.

How much of that is a function of cancel culture? "Whites" can't speak out without being labeled antisemitic. Muslims have that label preapplied (see OvB) so less of a concern. Look at the celebrities that got blasted, and they're just dumb pretty people.
Plenty of whites speak out against the Israelis.  They just proclaim that anti-semitism is not equal to anti-zionism. And then go back to talking about how zionists are stealing children's organs.

See, that's my point. You just said all whites who speak out are antisemitic.
Last post by Razgovory - Today at 10:57:57 AM
Quote from: HVC on Today at 10:28:30 AM
Quote from: Tamas on Today at 10:25:21 AMLike or not OvB's delivery, but it is noticeable that pro-Palestinian actions be it like this ICC thing, or Labour Party rebels or just Guardian articles, seem to be dominated by Muslims.

Now, that may very well be a damning view on the rest of us not doing a thing. But overall non-Muslim indifference (at best, or a quiet pro-Israeli opinion) I think indicates two things: one is that this conflict is NOT such an existential drama for the US and UK as the pro-Palestinian side is making it out to be, and that there is a strong connection of Muslims to this conflict. The layman's assumption for the latter is the shared religion and thus cultural links, however this is far from being the only place where a Muslim population suffered brutally over the last couple of decades, just to mention Myanmar and China as the most recent examples. Yet there has not been nearly the efforts to force action from Western governments in protection of those people.

How much of that is a function of cancel culture? "Whites" can't speak out without being labeled antisemitic. Muslims have that label preapplied (see OvB) so less of a concern. Look at the celebrities that got blasted, and they're just dumb pretty people.
Plenty of whites speak out against the Israelis.  They just proclaim that anti-semitism is not equal to anti-zionism. And then go back to talking about how zionists are stealing children's organs.
Last post by OttoVonBismarck - Today at 10:47:53 AM
I am opposed to the very existence of the ICC (I supported W dropping a bomb on their building, frankly, and still do), but ignoring that for a moment--entities like the ICC and others that are supposed to be "impartial" should use actually impartial people.

In a highly charged sectarian conflict between Muslims and Jews, one that has inflamed tensions between those communities for 75 years, I would posit you should be able to find qualified international lawyers who are:

1. Not Muslim
2. Not Jewish
3. Not from the Middle East

Like why can't we have that? I think we know the reason, and it is that Islamists who support Palestine have hijacked many international organizations
Off the Record / Re: The EU thread
Last post by Tamas - Today at 10:43:39 AM
:lol:  What an apt summary of the country.