News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

I usually got 3-4 blacktail deer within 50 or so meters of the house on any given evening year round. All I would have to do step out on the deck and shoot. It would be venison in the freezer. But I have deemed my 3 acres a demilitarized zone. So they get a pass.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Quote from: mongers on November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Odd to see much a beast in a relatively densely populated area.

Pfft, while walking my dog last night came across a Bull Moose traipsing around looking for some food in downtown Anchorage.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

We have muntjack deer (descended from escapees from Woburn safari park in 1925) in our local park, making eerie barking noises. In summer there was a jay just outside my back door and a green woodpecker when I came out the front door. In spring, the bit of the New Rover Loop I live on is like a sample set of British water birds and their babies, including herons.  I love my bit of the suburbs.  :bowler:

katmai

Quote from: Syt on December 07, 2012, 12:11:14 AM
Did you eat it?

I did not, i let it go on it's merry way after i shut up my silly dog that want to bark at it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Brazen

Quote from: katmai on December 07, 2012, 04:55:37 AM
I did not, i let it go on it's merry way after i shut up my silly dog that want to bark at it.
FENTON!!!

mongers

Pretty waterlogged around here, what with living in a river valley.

Couldn't do much today, as I had three fillings at the dentist and the drugs took ages to wear off, couldn't make a business proposal to someone whilst soundings like a mummer.

So instead I went up valley to check on the state of the river, great fun, cycling through the floods and negotiating the fords, actually a nice mild, not too windy afternoon, just a bit drizzly at times. 

Of course every other person in town is going loopy, OMG the floods, doom I say etc.  Forgetting this has and should happen at least every other year, it's what British weather and rivers do.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on December 06, 2012, 07:11:48 PM
There's a Great White Egret in the meadows here, I knew it must be rare, given the number of twitchers that have been plodding up and down the lane the last couple of days.   :)

It probably wants to be left the fuck alone.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 20, 2012, 03:20:26 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 06, 2012, 07:11:48 PM
There's a Great White Egret in the meadows here, I knew it must be rare, given the number of twitchers that have been plodding up and down the lane the last couple of days.   :)

It probably wants to be left the fuck alone.

Yeah, it's not exactly rare, maybe I should spray paint one of the local herons white ? 
To my eye it would then be the exact same bird.   :cool:

mongers

I knew it was 'bad', but I didn't know it was this bad, I've not owned and driven a car for 14 years 5 months ! :gasp:

It get worse, I'd always thought of myself as a car owner/driver type person before I gave them up and decided to use bikes and public transport.

It turns out on examining historic business records/receipts (you have to keep them for nearly decades in the UK), it wasn't really a consistent pattern, there were lots of little few month periods when I did without or had company vehicles to borrow when needed. 

So in total I've only been a car/vehicle driver for 8 1/2 years of my adult life and I've been qualified to drive for more than 26 1/2 years.   :blush:

On the bright side, hopefully Garbon will never talked to me again.  :P

Maladict

I was always looking forward to getting a car so much. Then I turned 18 and didn't have any money to get a license.
Then when I did have the money I couldn't be bothered, and now, at 33, I still don't care.  :)

Eddie Teach

Urban driving sucks. But then, I'm sick of any driving.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on December 24, 2012, 09:42:54 AM
I was always looking forward to getting a car so much. Then I turned 18 and didn't have any money to get a license.
Then when I did have the money I couldn't be bothered, and now, at 33, I still don't care.  :)

:thumbsup:

Though it can be a bit of a disadvantage living in a rural area or in a part of Europe without a thoughout/intergrated transport system.  :bowler:

Richard Hakluyt

I'm holding out till those driverless cars become available to the general public  :cool:

merithyn

We've been without a car for just under a year now. We rent or borrow a car when necessary, but otherwise, we generally do okay. That being said, because I can't ride a bike, I'm usually relegated to walking when the busses aren't running/don't go where I need to be, which is often very slow. An hour commute on foot when it could be a 10-minute drive or a 20-minute bike ride can become a serious detriment to my going at all, which is annoying.

I desperately want a car once we can afford one again, but Max is dead-set against it. I want to be able to travel on a whim, something that is just impossible without a vehicle. Max doesn't think the expense is worth it. I rarely push for anything, but on this one, I will be. I'm all for public transportation and walking, but there is a limit and I think I've reached it.  :mad:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...