News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

mongers

Trying to find a legit, non-cd version of Rise of Nations; found the demo of the expansion version, quite a bit of gameplay for a demo, still a pretty neat game.

Pity it's not on steam or gog.com.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

I tried to do the same thing a few months back.  Sadly, I don't think that it was ever released online in any fashion, at least not legitimately.  Still, there are some cheap CD versions of it on Amazon.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

I couldn't find the CD of it but I found my box, manual & quick reference card. One of you want it?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

RoN was one of the better games of its class.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: Tamas on November 20, 2012, 12:45:47 PM
God, I loved that game

I bought it but couldn't remember how to play.  :lol:

I'll read through the manual and reference card again today and soon it'll feel like 1998 all over again. :wub:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

My Dad was cleaning out his work room a few weeks ago, and found my old MicroProse titles;  M1 Tank Platoon, Red Storm Rising, B-17 Flying Fortress.  All still in perfect condition, complete with keyboard overlays.  Same with all my Lucas Arts games:  1942, all of the Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe disks, etc. 

Man, those were the days.

Syt

:cool:

I loved the ones that gave you background. Like the thick manuals that came with Twelve O'Clock High and Battle of Britain that had long articles about the bombing campaigns, Darklands' info about Germany 1400 or X-Wing/TIE-Fighter and their in-universe background infos. Not to mention the "magazines" that came with the Wing Commander and Strike Commander games.

One that I still have came with Flying Corps - it had a reprint of Manfred von Richthofen's war diary.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, the production value for those games were top-notch back in the day.   They were excellent packages.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on November 21, 2012, 01:52:03 PM
:cool:

I loved the ones that gave you background. Like the thick manuals that came with Twelve O'Clock High and Battle of Britain that had long articles about the bombing campaigns, Darklands' info about Germany 1400 or X-Wing/TIE-Fighter and their in-universe background infos. Not to mention the "magazines" that came with the Wing Commander and Strike Commander games.

One that I still have came with Flying Corps - it had a reprint of Manfred von Richthofen's war diary.

Yeah. Now all we get is a fucking PDF file.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2012, 01:55:23 PM
Yeah, the production value for those games were top-notch back in the day.   They were excellent packages.

Games came in bigger boxes then.  I remember getting cloth maps and once an entire novel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2012, 07:49:52 PM
Games came in bigger boxes then.  I remember getting cloth maps and once an entire novel.

Funny how they still cost the same retail now with just a .pdf.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2012, 09:22:24 PM

I'm not gonna cry over that. After all, computer and video games are one of the few products I can think of that didn't become more expensive in the last 20, 25 years.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2012, 09:22:24 PM

You do know what inflation is, right?  They don't "cost the same" at all.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I thought they did.  A new PC game cost about 40 odd bucks back '98.  Now they cost nearly 60.  Course with Steam, you can get them a lot cheaper.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017