News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I mentioned in the another thread about seeing a white hart/buck on my way through the forest last week.

Anyway today I had an unusual encounter, coming home across another county I encountered a large red deer stag standing on a bridge.
Odd as they're not found in that part of Dorset, whereas there are a couple of herd over in my the area of my home county of Hampshire.

I stopped 30 yards short to try and get a photo in the dusk, also so as to not spook it, as there's a road crossing 800 yards further along this old railway. So I waited for it to disappear for heading off to find out where it had come from.
I say that because a few fields over some farmer is attempting to breed them, so in probability it was an escapee, hence my reluctance to spook it.
I didn't find the nearest farmhouse, though not of the actual farmer, but left a message for them to pass on about the risks of a possible hole in the fencing. 

I guess the other option was it a wild stag that had been attracted to the area by the scent of other red deer.

Odd to see much a beast in a relatively densely populated area.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Nice coming back through the forest last night with the bike light lighting up the fog as I cut through it; quiet, empty and  pleasantly eerie.  :)

Lettow77

At night the coyotes can be heard in the wooded field outside the apartment. I like to sling there on good weather like today; I just got back. :)

My roommate almost hit a deer on the way home a couple days back. The wildlife is over-abundant.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

mongers

Quote from: Lettow77 on November 17, 2012, 03:32:42 PM
At night the coyotes can be heard in the wooded field outside the apartment. I like to sling there on good weather like today; I just got back. :)

My roommate almost hit a deer on the way home a couple days back. The wildlife is over-abundant.

:cool:

I had to thread my way through some horses this evening, I think they like standing on the warm tarmac.

Tamas

Isn't it mating season for deer roundabout this time? The bucks get all horny and brave and manly and shit.

mongers

Odd, I haven't crossed the River Stour in Dorset in about 45 days, normally I pass over it a two or three times a week, indeed I've probably not come with a mile of it since early October.   :hmm:

I think it's because the conurbation is on the other side of it, I've changed my routine and I've been spending more time in the countryside, so I've not felt inclined to go into the large town/city.

And whilst the river is no barrier, it's acts like a subconscious boundary between different states of mind ? :unsure:

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on November 17, 2012, 04:37:13 PM
Isn't it mating season for deer roundabout this time? The bucks get all horny and brave and manly and shit.

:w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on November 17, 2012, 07:00:32 PM

And whilst the river is no barrier, it's acts like a subconscious boundary between different states of mind ? :unsure:

Could be.

Or you need to cut back on the pot :P

mongers

A couple of days ago I travelled up the river Avon, my river, to check on it's condition; a little bit of local flooding here and there, what you'd expect in water meadows/flood plain, but the flow looked within what you'd expect for the time of year.

With normal or bit above rainfall, I'd hazard next spring and summer the valley should be 'looking' good; much better than the last 3-4 years of poor winter rains, when it looked so dried out. 

Ed Anger

I had some hunters on my lands. Without permission. They weren't too pleased when I showed up with my vassals heavily armed. My AK said get off my farmland and my finger was mighty itchy.

The ground is too firm for digging six foot holes right now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 28, 2012, 07:22:30 PM
I had some hunters on my lands. Without permission. They weren't too pleased when I showed up with my vassals heavily armed. My AK said get off my farmland and my finger was mighty itchy.

The ground is too firm for digging six foot holes right now.

You should start your own thread, you could call it oh I don't know, 'Deliverance Territory'.   :D

Ed Anger

I was out and about. Deal.

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 28, 2012, 08:04:55 PM
I was out and about. Deal.

Then I shall have to start posting in your Day-Tone thread.   :P

Yesterday I took some landscape photos and the day tone of the light was just right ....

Ed Anger

mongers

Breaking News:

There's a Great White Egret in the meadows here, I knew it must be rare, given the number of twitchers that have been plodding up and down the lane the last couple of days.   :)