News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Not every game deserves its own threads, but I think some should still be mentioned now and then.

Came across this game trailer:

Oniken. If you miss old 8bit NES action games like Contra et al then this miht be worth cecking out. Also worth watching the trailer if you like 80s hair band rock guitars.

Available for 3.99 on Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/oniken

In a similar vein there's Retro City Rampage coming up. Open world gameplay like in GTA, but graphics and gameplay is 8-bit, with homages to Commando/Ikari Warriors/etc, Zelda, Super Mario, Bionic Commando . . .
Gameplay Trailer
80s cereal commercial
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Say what you will about GamersGate, they're willing to give a stage to the non-mainstream games.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-7554/7554

Quote7554 is a first person shooter set against the historical backdrop of the climatic conclusion to the first Indochina War between the Vietnam People's Army revolutionaries and the oppressing French army.

The single player campaign puts gamers on the front line of a colonial independence movement locked in battle against a technologically more advanced modern Western occupier.

Players will experience the colonial movement's growth from insurgent guerrilla band to a conventional army usingHavok's Vision Engine 8 and  Nvidia's PhysX.

You will see a true Vietnam that you never seen before in a video game.
And the game is hard challenge when you fighting with lack of weapons and ammutions, a differennt persective with others FPS that you already know.
Less

How many shooters are there that allow you to shoot the evil French?  :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Viking

whats the significance of the number 7554?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Quote from: Viking on July 22, 2012, 06:09:15 AM
whats the significance of the number 7554?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7554
QuoteThe name 7554 comes from the historic date, 7 May, 1954, on which the French Colonist expeditionary army in Dien Bien Phu, Vietnam surrendered to the Vietnam People's Army.[
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Preview for Lords of Football:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/21/sports-and-all-lords-of-football/

Basically, Sims meets Football Manager. This could be pretty brilliant.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on August 21, 2012, 03:26:29 PM

Gameplay sounds strongly reminiscent of The Movies.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I suppose he's actually on the right.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2012, 05:09:02 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 21, 2012, 03:26:29 PM

Gameplay sounds strongly reminiscent of The Movies.

Yeah, that, too. I thought the Movies was a mess (though the movie making was fun), but I have some hopes for this one. Football sims have become a bit too serious for my taste.

We had the On The Ball series in Germany which was highly detailed for its time, but also included bribes, doping, and had more personality: players had hobbies and various things could happen based on that. A diver could have an accident, a hobby writer might release a scandalous behind the scenes book etc. In match preparation you could specifically tell players to attack an opponent on the pitch to neutralize him. Also, the game featured April Fools jokes. Every other April 1st a mean random event would pop up, like the whole team dying in a plane crash, or the club being sold to Arabs. Most of the time you were too immersed to notice the date.

The main programmer of the series went on to work for EA's FIFA Manager.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Viking

Quote from: Syt on August 21, 2012, 11:10:47 PMAlso, the game featured April Fools jokes. Every other April 1st a mean random event would pop up, like the whole team dying in a plane crash, or the club being sold to Arabs.

FM has a filthy rich arab pretending to buy the club if the computer date and in game date are both 1 April.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM
In a similar vein there's Retro City Rampage coming up. Open world gameplay like in GTA, but graphics and gameplay is 8-bit, with homages to Commando/Ikari Warriors/etc, Zelda, Super Mario, Bionic Commando . . .
Gameplay Trailer
80s cereal commercial

Well it's out on Steam for 12.59 introductory price. I played through the tutorial (10-15 minutes?) and it's pretty insane but fun. Kind f like Saint's Row The Third turning into an 8bit parody of the 1980s.

In this time I participated in a Dark Knight heist parody, fought against four turtles from a sewer and two gung ho soldiers roping in from a helicopter (Contra?), travelled through time in a phone booth and got picked up by a crazy professor in a Delorean. There's more 80s and video game references than you can shake a stick at. If you liked GTA1 and/or loved 8bit video games, then this game is for you.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould