STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

This Thursday.  :nerd:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

BuddhaRhubarb

Tim, you look different somehow. do something with the hair?
:p

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Neil

I'll watch it, even though time-travelling Romulans from the future is a stupid idea, as is fucking up the timeline.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on May 05, 2009, 09:55:59 PM
I'll watch it, even though time-travelling Romulans from the future is a stupid idea, as is fucking up the timeline.
Ditto. I figure I'll shoot for expectations of a horrible brainless action-film "reimagining" of the Trek universe. That way, the only surprises for me will be pleasant. ^_^
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

The moment they introduced time travel into Star Trek, it was all downhill. Yes, it was season 3, IIRC.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

Many of the previous movies are so bad that unless this one is horrible it pretty much gets a buy :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: HVC on May 05, 2009, 10:41:24 PM
Many of the previous movies are so bad that unless this one is horrible it pretty much gets a buy :lol:
None of the TNG-era movies are really glaringly bad. I rewatched Insurrection recently and found that a lot of the complaints about it were really overblown.

I would also say that the only good one was First Contact, and that was probably because it didn't even land in the normal Trek format. Generations, Insurrection, and Nemesis all fell into the "last-minute save from the weekly doomsday device" trap, with Generations and Nemesis trying to save face with token sacrifices by Kirk and Data, respectively.

I'm actually predisposed to like the idea of this one because it sounds as if it's not going to be a complete save, and the human cost feels less like a shoestring budget when it's not a overhyped retirement of a washed-up overdramatic actor or exploring the "sacrifice signifies humanity" aspect too little, too late, when the character's earned a penchant as mostly comic relief.

And thus another one of my rants comes to a close. Methinks I really need less free time to overthink these things. :blink:
Experience bij!

katmai

Aw crap Vinraith agreeing with me on movies, hold me i r scared.
:P

vinraith

Quote from: katmai on May 05, 2009, 11:06:47 PM
Aw crap Vinraith agreeing with me on movies, hold me i r scared.
:P

:D It just shows you how right we both are. A point of agreement like this can only occur when the movie is, in this case, objectively :yawn:.

katmai

looking at summer movie schedule there isn't really anything out there that demands i go check it out really. Can't recall last summer that didn't have one thing i was really looking forward to.