News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Alatriste on April 20, 2009, 04:41:53 AM
Regarding books, IMHO the best is George F. Nafziger's 'Imperial Bayonets'; dry in the usual Nafziger's style, but packed with facts extracted from contemporary regulations. Brent Nosworthy's "With Musket, Cannon And Sword: Battle Tactics Of Napoleon And His Enemies" is not highly regarded amongst historians (too 'wargamish' and contains some egregious mistakes) but I found it quite readable too, if certainly much inferior to Nafziger's work.
Nafziger is out of print and very expensive, though a certain publisher will be bringing out his books (properly edited and in second editions) in 2010.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Alatriste

Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2009, 06:19:51 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on April 20, 2009, 04:41:53 AM
Regarding books, IMHO the best is George F. Nafziger's 'Imperial Bayonets'; dry in the usual Nafziger's style, but packed with facts extracted from contemporary regulations. Brent Nosworthy's "With Musket, Cannon And Sword: Battle Tactics Of Napoleon And His Enemies" is not highly regarded amongst historians (too 'wargamish' and contains some egregious mistakes) but I found it quite readable too, if certainly much inferior to Nafziger's work.
Nafziger is out of print and very expensive, though a certain publisher will be bringing out his books (properly edited and in second editions) in 2010.

Really? I do own 'Imperial Bayonets', 'Napoleon's Invassion of Russia 1812' and his three books on the campaign of 1813, all impressive works. Dry, sure, but not many writers do include so many OOBs, fortresses and battle plans, and the text of international treaties mentioned in the text.

Regarding 'Swords around a throne', I own a copy (big, heavy, hardcover) but read it a long time ago... IIRC it was far more general and less detailed than either Nafziger or Nosworthy, but perhaps I don't remember it that well...

Oh, that SYW rules set NB was based on... was it 'Koenig Krieg'?

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2009, 06:17:54 AM
So, have some fun with them using the paper units and terrain, but for Davout's sake don't mount any figures in this system!

10-4!

Thanks for the tips for books guys. I shall spend some hardly earned money.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Anyone know of a good Napoleonic wargaming forum?

The Brain

4 white mercenaries are done. :executiveoutcomes:

The Brain

Does anyone have a great suggestion for what to use for 25 mm round bases? I'm tired of the obscene prices of the major manufacturers. What is the simplest thing to use instead? Fucking poker chips are way way cheaper but unfortunately too big.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2009, 01:24:42 PM
Does anyone have a great suggestion for what to use for 25 mm round bases? I'm tired of the obscene prices of the major manufacturers. What is the simplest thing to use instead? Fucking poker chips are way way cheaper but unfortunately too big.
Google "mini poker chips" and you will see that people make chips in all kinds of sizes.

http://www.greathallgames.com/aacc/atokbags/achipsDrops.html for example.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2009, 03:06:39 PM
Google "mini poker chips" and you will see that people make chips in all kinds of sizes.

Might go the extra mile and google "25mm poker chips"

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on June 22, 2009, 03:37:11 PM
Might go the extra mile and google "25mm poker chips"

I think he is looking for chips on which to base 25mm figures, not bases 25mm in diameter.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Thanks for the replies.

They do have 1 inch chips in your link, g, but I'd rather not have to ship stuff from Amerikkka. I have spent some time googling and the Swedish suppliers seem to suck. Googling also tells me that many of the trash plastic chips available are 7/8 inch (and that where custom size is given for real chips as 1 inch it's often the size of the label).

For clarity I want 25 mm diameter (and I'm fine with 1 inch).

Plus there has to be something cheap that can be used that isn't poker chips. The ideal would be fairly thin yet inflexible completely flat plastic (or other material).

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on June 23, 2009, 12:50:35 PM
Thanks for the replies.

They do have 1 inch chips in your link, g, but I'd rather not have to ship stuff from Amerikkka. I have spent some time googling and the Swedish suppliers seem to suck. Googling also tells me that many of the trash plastic chips available are 7/8 inch (and that where custom size is given for real chips as 1 inch it's often the size of the label).

Plus there has to be something cheap that can be used that isn't poker chips. The ideal would be fairly thin yet inflexible completely flat plastic (or other material).
Have you checked out washers?  I know you can get them with small 6mm inside diameters and 25mm outside diameters, but the thinnest I found was 1.8mm.  they were about 12 cents US each.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2009, 01:42:20 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 23, 2009, 12:50:35 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Have you checked out washers?  I know you can get them with small 6mm inside diameters and 25mm outside diameters, but the thinnest I found was 1.8mm.  they were about 12 cents US each.

Good call. Even Sweden has hardware stores. I will investigate.

The Brain

So for whatever reason I have gotten interested in the Wars of the Roses. I've bought/ordered some books and I am considering picking up painting some minis (I haven't painted a mini since last summer).

Miniwise I am primarily looking at the 28 mm Perry range including probably pretty good plastic infantry: http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html (their web design is annoying though, you have to select in lists...) I prefer 28 mm but many manufacturers have 25 mm ranges.

Rulewise I am looking at the Foundry medieval rules ( http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/books/medievalwarfare.asp ), Field of Glory (is it any good at all?) and the free rules system from the Perfect Captain ( http://perfectcaptain.50megs.com/acos.html , really inspiring with focus on individual nobles and the chaos of amateur battles).

A question: I have seen mentioned that knights usually fought on foot in the WotR. Is this true and if so why? I kinda like to include mounted knights both for aesthetic reasons and tactical variation.

A second question: the Perry twins also have an Agincourt to Orleans range. I'm guessing some models from that one could be used? Surely older suits of armor were used as well considering the cost?

Another question: anyone have anything else to add? About this or their mini situation in general?

Alatriste

Short answer: longbows killed too many horses, and armored horses weren't a solution because they were expensive and didn't move much faster than knights on foot.

A longer answer would start by saying that the Late Middle Ages saw several very significant military changes that were gradually making mounted knights obsolete (and in time would make knights disappear completely from the battlefield): disciplined regular infantry, pike&halberd mass formations, improved crossbows, hand gunners and artillery, field works and fortifications...

For example, a Burgundian 'lance' in 1471s comprised one knight and his page, one light cavalryman, three mounted archers and three infantrymen, armed with hand gun, crossbow and pike, respectively (later Burgundian armies significantly included less archers and added more pikes)

grumbler

Quote from: Alatriste on March 18, 2010, 02:52:16 AM
Short answer: longbows killed too many horses, and armored horses weren't a solution because they were expensive and didn't move much faster than knights on foot.
Also, horses couldn't carry men armored to the extent demanded by the latest developments in armor. I seem to recall a quip by someone that, had there been a way to victual the knights as well as they were armored, they could withstand a siege.

Bayraktar!