News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Gran Torino was on Swiss tv last night (I like to watch stuff there, because they let you choose between English original and German dub).

Good film. Clint Eastwood reminded me of quite a few Languishites. I mean, replace gooks with dazzling urbanites, the dog with a cat ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

So how was the German dub?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Battle Los Angeles

Cliched dialogue and you've seen all these soldiers before, but the film was 97% action and the action was awesome.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 14, 2011, 01:43:42 AM
Battle Los Angeles

Cliched dialogue and you've seen all these soldiers before, but the film was 97% action and the action was awesome.
I used to think Aaron Eckhart was probably a pretty cool guy in real life, but I saw him on The Late Late Show the other night, and he came off as kind of a flakey douche.  Probably the most awkward interview I've seen Ferguson give.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Also, the way the aliens were beat at the end made more sense then in any other alien invasion of modern earth film I can remember.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I like HG Wells' solution- we can't beat space-faring aliens(granted we might be able to if they only traveled from Mars) but the earth can.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 14, 2011, 03:48:13 AM
I like HG Wells' solution- we can't beat space-faring aliens(granted we might be able to if they only traveled from Mars) but the earth can.
Modern 1st World nations could defeat the Martians in the original novel fairly easily. 

1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 14, 2011, 02:13:32 AM
Also, the way the aliens were beat at the end made more sense then in any other alien invasion of modern earth film I can remember.
They got bored and went home?
██████
██████
██████

Viking

That the rumors of an alien attack were fictive and massive amounts of ordinance was spent on radar blips, flocking birds, the local dazzling urbanites and tv news traffic helecopters. The movie ends with the Japanese ambassador speaking "U paleface gaijin do it again, fight battle against nobody! U stoopid, no hi speed rail for U!!!11111oneoenoeneon"
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

You ruined it for me. :ph34r:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on March 14, 2011, 01:10:30 AM
Gran Torino was on Swiss tv last night (I like to watch stuff there, because they let you choose between English original and German dub).

Good film. Clint Eastwood reminded me of quite a few Languishites. I mean, replace gooks with dazzling urbanites, the dog with a cat ...

Get of my lawn.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

BuddhaRhubarb

The Witchfinder General. Before Nic Cage, there was Vincent Price. Fun low budget Hammer-ish flick about how wonderful it was during Cromwell's time. Price plays the self appointed Witchfinder (he's actually a Lawyer) .. It all plays out like recent US elections.

6.9 witchsicles outta 10
:p

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 14, 2011, 01:43:42 AM
Battle Los Angeles

Ditto.  I had read some reviews mentioning the cliches so I was actually bracing for worse than what they actually used.  It was a solid action movie and honestly about as scifi-ish as I like these types of movies to be.

They did an awesome job with the aliens-- you eventually got a decent idea of what they looked like but never got a 100% clear close-up shot of them in good lighting, which is a good effect for this type of movie.  Plus I liked how the aliens were using actual infantry-type soldiers, complete with crew-served weapons, squad leaders, etc. rather than just moving around in vehicles & blowing shit up (though there was a bit of that).  And their weaponry seemed more conventional than you typically see for aliens.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Heh, and actual aliens that could cross interstellar space and invade us would be so far advanced from us that they could squash us like bugs.  :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius