News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

I just started a new game, and decided to play Castille for the first time in eons. Holy shit. There's this new event (not sure what DLC introduced this) called Infantes of Aragon that shoots up right away that really cripples you if you're not prepared. You get a -1 stab hit, and have to get it back to zero for the event to end; but the majority of choices you get almost monthly are a -1 stab hit or an admin points deduction. So you get caught in this loop. I had to restart a few times before I was able to get my stab up to +1 before the event hit.
It explains why in some previous games, I noticed AI Castille not doing so well.

CC: How is Ottomans doing in your game? I hear new DLC cripples it somewhat
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Yeah, it's not as strong now that the other regional nations have been buffed

Tamas

I remember reading the Ottoman DLC made them seriously OP and you can see in the last patch notes they tried to nerf them.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on December 05, 2023, 08:41:16 AMI remember reading the Ottoman DLC made them seriously OP and you can see in the last patch notes they tried to nerf them.

Think that's accurate. And there may have been an over correction. The nations around them got stronger and they got weaker.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 05, 2023, 09:55:14 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 05, 2023, 08:41:16 AMI remember reading the Ottoman DLC made them seriously OP and you can see in the last patch notes they tried to nerf them.

Think that's accurate. And there may have been an over correction. The nations around them got stronger and they got weaker.

Yeah, I mean that's my fear. Ottos are supposed to pose a threat in the 15th-16th centuries.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Solmyr

Tbh previously AI Ottomans were always the endgame boss, unless you crippled them immediately.

Zanza

Playing my second game with King of Kings now as Qara Qounylu. Good content with missions, estates, events etc.

Early on the Ottomans, the Timurids and the Mamluks are really threatening. I have more or less destroyed the Mamluks now, reigned in the Timurids, but the Ottomans remain a threat.

After close to a century of incessant warfare, I have conquered most of the Levante, Caucasus, some of Persia, the area along the Gulf and taken Cairo.

I guess I will just defend in the West and continue to expand south and east. I have to conquer more of Persia and eventually reform from a tribe to a monarchy to be able to form Persia and get to see that content.

Zanza

Next EU4 patch will have new content for Aztecs, Incas, Mayans, Netherlands, Austria, Bohemia, Hungary, Venice, Mughals and Timurids. Sounds a bit like the final patch as together with last three DLCs, they have covered virtually the entire world with reworked content then.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-development-diary-27th-of-february-roadmap-to-1-37.1625239/

Josephus

Yeah and this one seems a hodgepodge of place's geographically.

As well as their admitting they're working on something new.
Civis Romanus Sum

clandestino

Not sure if anyone still plays this over here, but here it goes.

I bought a bundle a few years ago that included all the major DLCs up to Rights of Man.

That pack stayed unplayed for a number of years while my interests went elsewhere.

Recently I've been playing it quite a bit (reaching the 200h mark in Steam) and I was debating which DLC to acquire in a possible sale around the release of Winds of Change (it seems that's the tradition anyway).

Unfortunately it won't be possible to acquire everything at the moment, so I wonder which would you recommend. As a reference I tend to play tallish, kind of following historical lines, rather than world conquering or more esoteric objectives, usually around the Mediterranean through India, alongside a few Major nations playthroughs.

Anyway here is my current reasoning around the possibilities, but would love any feedback you could offer. :hug:

Underlined are the ones I'm mostly considering to buy
These as well, but only if the budget allows (2nd tier)

Expansions:
Mandate of Heaven: Ages + Golden Era seem fun, along with Prosperity, Diplo Macros and State Edicts. Not a huge interest in China/Japan.
Cradle of Civilization: Some interesting game concepts (merchant missions, Islamic schools, professionalism, promote advisors) but nothing essential it seems. Focus on the Middle East, but seems that King of Kings is better in building flavor in the region? :hmm:
Dharma: Apart from India, it seems the mechanics aren't that interesting (upgrade trade centers, scornful insults)
Emperor: HRE, Papal mechanics reworked
Leviathan: Monuments seem fun if playing tall, right? :unsure:
Domination: Seems essential if playing the usual suspects

Immersion Packs:
Third Rome: Not that interested in playing in Russia/Orthodox nations
Rule Brittania: Although not into playing in the British Isles that much, the Naval aspects alongside the Innovativeness and Knowledge Share seem interesting to a Med/playing tall player.
Golden Century: Seems essential to play in Iberia, Maghreb, which are the areas I play the most. Naval barrages and Flagships also helpful with other naval flavored nations: Britain, Denmark, Netherlands...
Origins: Africa/Judaism not that important at the moment, can postpone it
Lions of the North: Seems fun, but don't usually play in the Baltic that much
King of Kings: Between this and Cradle of Civilization which is more impactful in the area?

TL;DR: I'm thinking of buying Mandate of Heaven, Domination and Golden Century, and maybe Leviathan, Rule Britannia and King of Kings if budget allows. How dumb are my choices?