Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I don't know if eating local can be compatible with a vegan diet in most of the world.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

I definitely recall seeing some research that found limited meat diets could often be better for the planet - something about there being a lot of land not much good for anything, human or environmental, than livestock rearing.
Certainly the old idea of a garden pig seems to be just a free win environment wise (as much as I would be thoroughly incapable of ever doing this)
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Old garden/homestead pigs were smaller then the factory farm pigs used today, so actually feasible in a backyard enviroment. Though no longer legal so there's that :D

Cities should actually move towards changing bylaws for home husbandry. Many places still make it illegal to raise chickens for example. You can get around this by raising quail. Either are a great way to repurpose scraps, so less waste, provide eggs, and can be done way more humanly then battery farming for eggs.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2023, 01:36:32 AMBattery farming is a new one to me.

:wub:

:lol:

Chickens are evil so I feel less bad, but it's still not a good environment. Modern animal farming is... not great. Some animals have it better. Beef, lamb and goat are relatively ok if you get grass fed (not grass finished*).

*farmers and companies go hard on PR to charge more and placate people. Grass finished are basically feedlot animals who are feed hay for like a week or two before slaughter. Free range chickens aren't actually "free" to range. They're penned with to the outside in a few square feet coops.

To tie it back to the topic at hand more human methods to raise animals are more environmentally friendly, both in terms of land and water to raise fodder, but also require much less antibiotics which is good for the world.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2023, 01:57:05 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 29, 2023, 10:07:07 AMHas Hami finished with the virtue signalling, so we can get back to debating the topic? :unsure:

If telling people they should stop eating meat to save the planet is virtue signaling, isn't telling people to stop flying so much or driving so much also virtue signaling? :mellow:

Not eating meat has a massive impact on climate.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 30, 2023, 03:04:05 AMNot eating meat has a massive impact on climate.

You do realize i'm on your side, don't you?

Zanza

Beef is the main climate killer. If we could just stop eating beef, eating chicken and even pork would not be such a big problem climate-wise.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on July 30, 2023, 05:03:43 AMBeef is the main climate killer. If we could just stop eating beef, eating chicken and even pork would not be such a big problem climate-wise.

I could do that.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2023, 04:45:37 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on July 30, 2023, 03:04:05 AMNot eating meat has a massive impact on climate.

You do realize i'm on your side, don't you?

Ah fair enough!  :Embarrass:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2023, 05:15:49 PMI don't know if eating local can be compatible with a vegan diet in most of the world.

I tried for a number of months.  Totally local is impossible and so the carbon calculation needs to factor in transport.  In the end, I could not get enough protein into my weekly diet.

When I had my first meat, it felt great.

I still eat less meat than before.  But it's really the eggs and dairy I can't do without.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2023, 09:37:29 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2023, 05:15:49 PMI don't know if eating local can be compatible with a vegan diet in most of the world.

I tried for a number of months.  Totally local is impossible and so the carbon calculation needs to factor in transport.  In the end, I could not get enough protein into my weekly diet.

When I had my first meat, it felt great.

I still eat less meat than before.  But it's really the eggs and dairy I can't do without.

CC, Im pretty much on the same page as you, still eat a reasonable amount of dairy and cut back on a lot of meat a long time ago, but primarily because of taste rather than the environment.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

My main reason for cutting back on meat is its propensity for going bad.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on July 31, 2023, 11:53:16 AMMy main reason for cutting back on meat is its propensity for going bad.

Almost all food has a propensity to go bad, and you don't want to eat the exceptions.  You should not buy more of any food than you can expect to consume before it spoils.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on July 31, 2023, 02:23:21 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 31, 2023, 11:53:16 AMMy main reason for cutting back on meat is its propensity for going bad.

Almost all food has a propensity to go bad, and you don't want to eat the exceptions.  You should not buy more of any food than you can expect to consume before it spoils.

Yeah, we are a long way away from the time we had to buy things in advance to store them because of limited availability in the store. 

Things work a lot better when buying things I know I want to prepare over the next day or two.  The added benefit of not having a crowded fridge is also worth while. 

The caveat is that we have a deep freeze with emergency food in case something prevents the constant flow of food at the store front.