Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Damn.  They've evacuated Chibougamau.

Never been there.  Heard about if from my dad, and other construction workers, there was lots of construction work there in the 70s apparently, with the boom in James Bay and Radisson, and the all the mining activity around.

It's part of Jamesie area (James Bay), North of Lac St-Jean, so it's pretty much to the north (people there will joke they're at the center of everything, not technically false :) ).

7500 people there have to move to closest city, 2h30 south of there.

French text

Goddam fires.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

The name Malarctic seems a little redundant.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 06, 2023, 04:41:49 PMAnd current status in Europe at the start of summer (I've no idea why the boundaries are what they are):

Lots of rain lately but as thunderstorms in Portugal, no soft English rains unfortunately.
Madeira broke some precipitation records as a matter of fact.

It's all the water after a very dry April and it causes floodings and mudslides but that's all that's available. :(

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2023, 10:29:31 PMThe name Malarctic seems a little redundant.

Good joke. Very old french name. Doesn't mean what it implies.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 07, 2023, 08:42:21 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2023, 10:29:31 PMThe name Malarctic seems a little redundant.

Good joke. Very old french name. Doesn't mean what it implies.

It doesn't sound redundent to me.  In English we have roughly the same thing: "bad cold."  ex: I am just recovering from a bad cold.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

At the time when the Abitibi region was being surveyed and organized in 1907, the name Malartic was chosen for the geographic township and lake, following the pattern of assigning names of regiments and officers of General Montcalm's army.[5] It was named after Anne Joseph Hippolyte de Maurès, Comte de Malartic, aide de camp to Montcalm.[1]

Source: Wikipedia.

One of the big ones, the one near Chibougamau.
Impressive, yet frightening.  The nearby Cree community has refused to evacuate.

CDN media width=auto

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

mongers

Hottest Early June averaged across the world since records began, something like 1.69C above the long term average; we've fuck it up, this our only home.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

CO2 emissions are still increasing each year, we have yet to reach first base on resolving the problem.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 16, 2023, 11:35:08 AMCO2 emissions are still increasing each year, we have yet to reach first base on resolving the problem.

That's the frustrating part about climate deniers.  I mean you can argue all you want about what steps to take - but atmospheric CO2 is steadily increasing and has for decades.  There's no doubt the cause is anthropomorphic.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Some promising signs from Turkmenistan in promising to sort out its methane. I believe thats the place with the giant eternal leak which puts it 3rd in the world.
Forget co2 for a moment, sorting out methane would be a huge win that sees quick results as it breaks down in the atmosphere within a decade or two.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 16, 2023, 11:40:36 AMThere's no doubt the cause is anthropomorphic.
And we know oil is a big cause of that...

mongers

mongers

Just broke my two person teapot that I've been using for years, 3-4 of those with a busted lid; so what's the least climate damaging way of disposing of it?

I think I should just bury it in the garden's soil here, as opposed to putting it in the bin, for it to be transported to landfill, it is after all, an entirely benign material?

And it might give a future archaeologist a 'thrill', perhaps a seen as a votive offering to all of the animal* bones in the garden?

* pets, though I think most of them will entirely decay given the soil conditions here.

Tamas

:rolleyes: Just throw it out. Why leave unpleasant surprises to the next owner?