News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Josquius on June 17, 2022, 03:05:04 PMWhat were the improvements?
I have no doubt there was a lot of superfluous keep the corrupt partners happy nonsense. But surely some was stuff that would have been useful in the longer term like improved transport?

Yeah, but this is Alberta. Improved transport means bigger trucks.  ;)

BB's right, the Alberta gov't made demands on FIFA that other cities didn't. That rarely helps your cause.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2022, 12:51:34 PMEdmonton is the big venue getting snubbed here. Lots of great Canadian football moment have happened in Edmonton.

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2022, 01:03:41 PMSome consternation around Edmonton about not being selected.

Quote from: Jacob on June 17, 2022, 05:42:44 PMAgreed - would've been nice to have games in Edmonton, and more games in Canada.

Yeah, for what I saw it seems that Edmonton was supposed to be part of the final bid, I even saw it featured in some mock ups for the schedule, so I guess it was almost taken for granted that it'd be picked up.

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2022, 01:03:41 PMWe have an older, but very nice 60k seat stadium that has had plenty of international soccer played within it, including Women's World Cup and the CONCACAF Mexico-Canada game this past winter.

Apparently FIFA was insisting on $100 mil plus in upgrades to stadium and other areas.  Obviously some jurisdictions just pulled out entirely (like Montreal).  Our provincial government hummed and hawed, and ultimately agreed to fund it - but only if we got 5 games, including one elimination game.

The thing is Canada is only getting 10 games period, so this was probably a poison pill.

But you can kind of see the government's point, too.  Why are we spending $100 mil (and I think it was more than that) for 1-2 soccer games?  And probably not the high prestige games at that.

Yeah, I agree it'd be quite a hefty investment for possible just a few games. If Canada had more games it'd make sense but not for a couple of them.

QuoteNot sad about not having any games in Montreal. FIFA can go fuck themselves trying to take away our events in June. (NHL playoffs, CFL, a music festival, a comedy festival & a F1 grand prix)

QuoteNo blame on Montreal for pulling out, given the "nothing else is allowed to happen."

You guys keep repeating this and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. The only official reason I've seen given for Montreal's withdrawal was a financial one, as apparently the Quebec government didn't want to pitch in.

FunkMonk

Time for some silly season stuff:

Chelsea agreed a loan with Inter to take Lukaku back for a one year loan for a minor fee. In essence, Inter loaned Lukaku to Chelsea for the 2021/2022 season and received like 90m from Chelsea in return :lol:

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 21, 2022, 03:31:39 PMTime for some silly season stuff:

Chelsea agreed a loan with Inter to take Lukaku back for a one year loan for a minor fee. In essence, Inter loaned Lukaku to Chelsea for the 2021/2022 season and received like 90m from Chelsea in return :lol:

Amazing. Chelsea is usually quite smart with transfers. They're the most well known of the buy up all the kids, loan them out a bit, then sell for big money, crew.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on June 19, 2022, 06:38:09 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2022, 12:51:34 PMEdmonton is the big venue getting snubbed here. Lots of great Canadian football moment have happened in Edmonton.

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2022, 01:03:41 PMSome consternation around Edmonton about not being selected.

Quote from: Jacob on June 17, 2022, 05:42:44 PMAgreed - would've been nice to have games in Edmonton, and more games in Canada.

Yeah, for what I saw it seems that Edmonton was supposed to be part of the final bid, I even saw it featured in some mock ups for the schedule, so I guess it was almost taken for granted that it'd be picked up.

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2022, 01:03:41 PMWe have an older, but very nice 60k seat stadium that has had plenty of international soccer played within it, including Women's World Cup and the CONCACAF Mexico-Canada game this past winter.

Apparently FIFA was insisting on $100 mil plus in upgrades to stadium and other areas.  Obviously some jurisdictions just pulled out entirely (like Montreal).  Our provincial government hummed and hawed, and ultimately agreed to fund it - but only if we got 5 games, including one elimination game.

The thing is Canada is only getting 10 games period, so this was probably a poison pill.

But you can kind of see the government's point, too.  Why are we spending $100 mil (and I think it was more than that) for 1-2 soccer games?  And probably not the high prestige games at that.

Yeah, I agree it'd be quite a hefty investment for possible just a few games. If Canada had more games it'd make sense but not for a couple of them.

QuoteNot sad about not having any games in Montreal. FIFA can go fuck themselves trying to take away our events in June. (NHL playoffs, CFL, a music festival, a comedy festival & a F1 grand prix)

QuoteNo blame on Montreal for pulling out, given the "nothing else is allowed to happen."

You guys keep repeating this and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. The only official reason I've seen given for Montreal's withdrawal was a financial one, as apparently the Quebec government didn't want to pitch in.

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/2021-02-02/coupe-du-monde-de-soccer-2026/pourquoi-quebec-a-dit-non.php

Translated link : https://www-lapresse-ca.translate.goog/sports/soccer/2021-02-02/coupe-du-monde-de-soccer-2026/pourquoi-quebec-a-dit-non.php?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=fr&_x_tr_pto=wapp

QuoteAccording to our information, the presentation of three games in Montreal in the summer of 2026 would force the cancellation or postponement of the Formula 1 Grand Prix of Canada, the International Jazz Festival, the Francos and perhaps the Just For Laughs festival. FIFA also asks that the Olympic Stadium only be used for the World Cup for a period of three months, while the event lasts only five weeks.

By forcing a postponement or cancellation of festivals, Quebec feared to further weaken the flagship events of the Montreal summer, already heavily affected by the pandemic.

The vacuum requirement is not new. In 2018, The Province , a Vancouver newspaper, published a FIFA document for cities interested in hosting the 2018 Soccer World Cup. major – other than the competition – cannot be presented in the host city for a period beginning seven days before the event and ending seven days after". Also, "no substantial cultural events (such as musical performances) that could attract large crowds" may take place in the host city one day before or after each match.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Well, that's not the "nothing can happen during the WC" that you were talking about. Sure, it'd take some tinkering, but I don't see how it'd be such a deal breaker as you made it to be. The money argument seems to hold more water for me.

celedhring

In the case of Just for Laughs, I think FIFA would be doing you a favor.

Josquius

Looks like the NFT stuff at Sunderland is off as the chairman has upped his stake instead.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2022/6/22/23178123/methven-gone-as-kld-finally-takes-a-majority-share-in-sunderland

I wasn't that worried about the NFT's potential to destroy the club, but certainly it would have hurt a lot of people, so good news.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on June 22, 2022, 03:50:53 AMWell, that's not the "nothing can happen during the WC" that you were talking about. Sure, it'd take some tinkering, but I don't see how it'd be such a deal breaker as you made it to be. The money argument seems to hold more water for me.

How is it not? There's only 10 weeks of summer weather. You can't reschedule multiple multiple weeks event and the grand prix to hold 3 2 hours game.

For the government, the money is what tilted the scale yes. But that entertainment vacuum would have killed any public support.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 22, 2022, 06:33:55 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 22, 2022, 03:50:53 AMWell, that's not the "nothing can happen during the WC" that you were talking about. Sure, it'd take some tinkering, but I don't see how it'd be such a deal breaker as you made it to be. The money argument seems to hold more water for me.

How is it not? There's only 10 weeks of summer weather. You can't reschedule multiple multiple weeks event and the grand prix to hold 3 2 hours game.

For the government, the money is what tilted the scale yes. But that entertainment vacuum would have killed any public support.

Don't tell me you can't schedule things to make everything fit with 4 years time to plan stuff. The whole WC is just one month, and games in Montreal would probably only take place during the first 2-3 weeks anyway. The GP can be done before the WC starts, the comedy festival as soon as the WC (or at least the part in Montreal) ends and the other events can be held during the WC itself, only with the necessary separation so they're not taking place at the same time than the games. It doesn't seem that difficult to me, to make a deal breaker out of it seems to be just looking for an excuse to not take part in the WC bid.

Zoupa

The Montreal Jazz fest has been going on since 1980, pretty much at the same time every year. It's the biggest jazz festival in the world. People plan their vacation around its dates, which have been stable for 42 years.

I don't think it's worth screwing that up to host Zambia - Belarus in the group stage. Fuck FIFA.

FunkMonk

I'm with Soups. Fuck FIFA.

I mean, it's cool and all that the WC will be played here again, but bending over backwards for these corrupt fuckwads is not desirable.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on June 23, 2022, 09:00:23 AMDon't tell me you can't schedule things to make everything fit with 4 years time to plan stuff. The whole WC is just one month, and games in Montreal would probably only take place during the first 2-3 weeks anyway. The GP can be done before the WC starts, the comedy festival as soon as the WC (or at least the part in Montreal) ends and the other events can be held during the WC itself, only with the necessary separation so they're not taking place at the same time than the games. It doesn't seem that difficult to me, to make a deal breaker out of it seems to be just looking for an excuse to not take part in the WC bid.

I'm just trying to imagine FIA/F1 being told they need to move their event based on what FIFA wants and them going "OK sure, no problem!".

Nope, can't do it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on June 23, 2022, 09:55:01 AMThe Montreal Jazz fest has been going on since 1980, pretty much at the same time every year. It's the biggest jazz festival in the world. People plan their vacation around its dates, which have been stable for 42 years.

I don't think it's worth screwing that up to host Zambia - Belarus in the group stage. Fuck FIFA.

Agreed.

I'm happy that Vancouver is hosting - I think it makes sense for us. But I absolutely think Montreal made the right decision for them.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on June 17, 2022, 04:47:03 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 17, 2022, 12:45:22 AMMontreal declined to host mainly because of FIFA's insane rules about other events.

I'm reading it was because of money. Vancouver also withdrew initially because of financial concerns and had to be brought back for the final bid because otherwise Canada would only have 1 venue.

I was a bit surprised when I read we were hosting because I didn't know we had come back into the bid.  I hope we are not paying FIFA much.  I was pretty happy when we withdrew in the first instance.

edit: a quick google search shows its a lot of money for a couple of games.

Estimate is between $240 million and $260 million.