Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 22, 2022, 12:30:10 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 22, 2022, 10:50:24 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2022, 09:35:47 AMIt's hypocritical.  Saudi oil is not climate friendly.  Aramco is paying his salary.  He's profiting from carbon emission just as much as Alberta oil producers.
Aramco is a sponsor. There are a variety of income streams that fund a F1 team, not in small part being revenue from consumers, TV rights, and ticket sales.

"Aramco pays his salary" is like saying the bank that names a stadium pays the QBs salary. It is sort of true, but not in any way that actually means anything.

Everyone profits from carbon emissions. If that is the metric, we are all hypocrites, and maybe we are. So why single him out?

As I tried to say I don't think he's a hypocrite just because he's an F1 driver.  Yes lots of us profit from hydrocarbons.  I mean I'm a Gov't of Alberta employee, so a chunk of my salary is indeed funded by oil and gas royalties.

For me it was the helmet ad.  Which was directly beside a very large ARAMCO logo.  The optics of it are terrible.  It's like how The Brain put it:

QuoteWhat's hypocritical about trying to hurt the competition, ensuring more profit for your client?

And if he had some say in not having the ARAMCO logo on his helmet, you would have a stronger point.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 22, 2022, 12:30:10 PMFor me it was the helmet ad.  Which was directly beside a very large ARAMCO logo.  The optics of it are terrible. 

There's no consistent reason to bitch about tar sands and not Saudi oil except self interest.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2022, 02:56:08 PMThere's no consistent reason to bitch about tar sands and not Saudi oil except self interest.
Well at the Saudi Grand Prix he wore these trainers the entire time he was in Saudi (as he previously had, with a rainbow mask, in Hungary). I think it's fine to focus on another issue in another country depending on what you think is the highest priority:

I think Hamilton also wore a rainbow helmet in Qatar and has said he plans to in Saudi as well.

Again as with sponsorship, the decision to have races there is made by people well above the individual sportspeople but that doesn't mean those sportspeople can't try to express their views or mean they're hypocrites if they do.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2022, 02:56:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 22, 2022, 12:30:10 PMFor me it was the helmet ad.  Which was directly beside a very large ARAMCO logo.  The optics of it are terrible. 

There's no consistent reason to bitch about tar sands and not Saudi oil except self interest.

Right and if he didn't raise concerns about the Saudis you along with BB would have a stronger point.

Josquius

Why oh why can't it be global cooling instead 😢
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

:lol: I was just thinking yesterday wouldn't it be nice if we had weather like that for 4-5 straight months :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

If only certain countries hadn't closed down the nucleair capacity for energy production...

And since the anti-nucleair ideology is another of the Soviet products...

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2022, 04:56:15 AM:lol: I was just thinking yesterday wouldn't it be nice if we had weather like that for 4-5 straight months :ph34r:

So you're the one responsible for climate change.
I always had my suspicions...
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

We will fight and we will...um...sort of win: https://youtu.be/LxgMdjyw8uw

My morale is constantly encouraged by the fact that despite everything, corrupt politicians and an apathetic public, we are making seemingly miraculous progress under the circumstances. The situation is desperate but not hopeless and in the end we will end up with a major disaster, but not an apocalypse. We will survive. Onwards!

If somebody had told me in 2007 when I decided to devote my life to this that we would have the kind of results we currently have in Texas I would have thought them a delusional optimist. The momentum feels like it is strongly on our side and weirdly the conservative politicians here are empowering it because incredibly it would take an enormous increase in energy rates and government subsidies to stop us. Back in 2017 I visited a coal plant and they were begging for more subsidies and government assistance to stay viable while the solar and wind people were booming with confidence.

But even with that we are still fucked, just you know, less fucked than it looked like we were going to be at one point. But maybe in the future we can unfuck things even more? I don't know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I wish i could be so optimistic.
The rise in the politics of spite and let's do the opposite of whatever the other side says worries me greatly.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

John Oliver on the water crisis in the US South West.

Features a lovely cameo by Brian Cox.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on June 27, 2022, 05:56:52 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 27, 2022, 05:42:04 AMFeatures a lovely cameo by Brian Cox.

Things can only get better?

You know, I did want to specify "The old Scottish one, not the astrophysicist/ex-keyboarder for D:Ream", but decided to exercise restraint. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2022, 05:09:50 PM

Right and if he didn't raise concerns about the Saudis you along with BB would have a stronger point.

Democratic persuasion may be less effective in Saudi decision making vs. Canadian.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on June 27, 2022, 05:42:04 AMJohn Oliver on the water crisis in the US South West.

Features a lovely cameo by Brian Cox.

Something mentioned in the program that they didn't show, and could have been really impactful, are images of the Colorado river "delta" in Mexico, where the river should empty into the Gulf of California, but is nowadays an almost fully dry area.