News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

It's definitely trying to imitate the original series.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Syt on June 16, 2022, 06:10:50 AMWhen they showed Pike at the helm of the pirate ship standing behind an old fashioned wheel like on a sailing ship 

They had inspiration.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Most recent episode was pretty good. Liked the villain
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

I feel like this show is putting out bangers every week. Loving it.

And yeah that cut to Pike at the helm of an old sailing wheel was  :lol: Great stuff
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

In case people were wondering if the villain enjoyed her role:

:cool:

It goes back to what I mentioned above - the cast seems to have so much fun with this show, and have really good chemistry (something that TNG took a while to reach IMO). Now, I'm generally wary of shows and movies trading on nostalgia, but this one is nailing it so far and adding much needed levity. I enjoy Discovery for the most part, but it can often feel quite joyless and taking itself too seriously. SNW seems more inspired by the success of The Orville and Lower Decks (though obviously toning down the latter's over the top humor and antics).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

See up until now I did not notice that villain was trans
Civis Romanus Sum

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on June 16, 2022, 08:38:54 PMMost recent episode was pretty good. Liked the villain
It could have been a little less predictable.  You could basically guess the plot by the first 5 minutes of the show, and the more it went on, the more you knew what would happen.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Continuing to watch discovery with its boring worm hole of doom plot.

Seems its artificial! And some guy (a risan who doesn't fit in. I do like that) has an idea for an experiment to test how it works by creating a miniature.

But... At the same time the worm hole is off to eat a colony of 2000 people.

Do they do the sensible thing and wait a few hours till the rescue is done before doing their experiment, maybe doing it on an abandoned planet with lots of power and no people?
Do they hell.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

I also thought the villain was great, with their own motivations that actually made sense.  I also thought it was especially great that the trans actor was treated as another actor and the show runners didn't hit us over the head with the fact that they are trans (unlike Discovery).

This has become my favourite Sci fi show, by far.

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2022, 12:25:53 PMThis has become my favourite Sci fi show, by far.

Mine too. This show is genuinely good. It's only been a handful of episodes but I feel like I've seen these characters for years. Great acting and chemistry, solid writing and characterization, and interesting stories. Feels good to be watching some good star treks man.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2022, 12:25:53 PMI also thought the villain was great, with their own motivations that actually made sense.  I also thought it was especially great that the trans actor was treated as another actor and the show runners didn't hit us over the head with the fact that they are trans (unlike Discovery).

Yeah like I said I didn't realize she..they... was trans.
Civis Romanus Sum

Josephus

Yeah, this is becoming my second favourite Trek (yes, it's too early to call) after STNG. It's not taking itself as seriously as some of the other Treks; the last episode, for instance, dealt with a fairly serious topic (father/daughter) and turned it into a good old fashioned farce. Watching Mount go off character as a coward was fun.

The other thing they're doing, fairly quickly, is not allowing this show to be all about Pike/Spock and supporting characters. There have been storylines drawn around the other characters, so as someone just said, it's like we know the characters very well (although I think we need more of that female doctor/nurse).

And the characters aren't annoying like the majority of the characters on Discovery are.
Civis Romanus Sum

Syt

Really liked the latest episode. The costumes were awesome, and the actors switching up their game was hilarious. :D Really liked La'an as prissy, well, princess, and Spock as jerk wizard. :lol:

Eagle eyed viewers caught a DS9 easter egg:

Benny Russel was Avery Brooks' character in the DS9 episode Beyond the Stars in which he is a black sci-fi writer in the 50s.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Any sightings of the Oscillation Overthruster?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on June 26, 2022, 06:15:16 PMAny sightings of the Oscillation Overthruster?
It might have been in the first season of Star Trek Picard...