The Old World, a new Civ-like from Soren Johnson

Started by FunkMonk, April 15, 2020, 09:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

One thing I noticed is that you really can't slack on building a capable army. And that's not always more units.

Jacob

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 05, 2022, 03:25:14 PMOne thing I noticed is that you really can't slack on building a capable army. And that's not always more units.

Definitely. And terrain - especially using choke points - matters significantly.

I just played a game where I started right on top of a couple of other civs. I managed to early rush one neighbour and thought I might as well go all in in (since I had a large army) and roll over the next one as well... but I just couldn't. I replayed the critical period a few times and I couldn't get over the hump and break through, and that was definitely a combination of a few inconvenient mountains and my opponent having an advantage in unit quality.

That said, in spite of hoping for more considered positional strategies with different unit types, it seems the best strategy in combat is to overwhelm locally and focus fire to kill units one by one. If you can get flanking or terrain advantages, great, but really it's primarily about focusing sufficient damage on units one by one to take them out

FunkMonk

Newest patch is out. The patch notes: https://gist.github.com/MohawkGames/09b854c59e192f6f5df660d566c25e75

Biggest changes I think are doubling religious opinion from shrines, changes to some laws, and most units now consume food. They've added a 'Bisexual' character trait now too.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 17, 2022, 05:37:59 AMThey've added a 'Bisexual' character trait now too.

Are all women bi?

(Too soon?)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on June 19, 2022, 07:03:48 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 17, 2022, 05:37:59 AMThey've added a 'Bisexual' character trait now too.

Are all women bi?

(Too soon?)
:lmfao:

I thought it was a pretty good joke, actually.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

Quote from: Berkut on June 19, 2022, 07:19:40 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 19, 2022, 07:03:48 AM

Are all women bi?

(Too soon?)
:lmfao:

I thought it was a pretty good joke, actually.

Consider both of you reported to HR.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 19, 2022, 08:18:57 AMConsider both of you reported to HR.

Can we tell this one safely?
QuoteWhy do doctors slap babies' bottoms as soon as they're born?
To knock the penises off the smart ones.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 19, 2022, 08:18:57 AMConsider both of you reported to HR.

It's AR, and usually we refer to him as Dorsey.

crazy canuck

Started playing on the premade Middle East and Med maps.  Pick a civ that belongs on that map and it is a great.  I am coming to the conclusion there is no cookie cutter build (even with preset maps), so much depends on the random events and adapting to the results of that.

crazy canuck

Playing as Carthage on the Med premade map is easy mode - if you want to do some experimentation with build/tech optimization I recommend playing that.  North Africa is all theirs - with the exception of a barbarian village or two.  Then they can expand to the South of Europe, or the islands in the Med.  Pretty easy to get the double score victory condition if you want a quicker game, because of the ease of expanding from that starting position.  If not, I recommend disabling that win condition.

Jacob

I thought I read somewhere that you can turn a city-site into the part of another city's area somehow... but I can't figure out how. Is that because you can't actually do that? Or do any of you know how to do that?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on August 11, 2022, 10:44:11 AMI thought I read somewhere that you can turn a city-site into the part of another city's area somehow... but I can't figure out how. Is that because you can't actually do that? Or do any of you know how to do that?

One city can buy the tiles of another city

mongers

Looked on steam and this has a demo, downloaded it, I like it, a lot; I'll get it went it's next on sale.

Surprised it runs at all on my outdated laptop, will the later game slowdowns described in the thread be a real headache?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

chipwich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXH9_d_pDa4&ab_channel=GDC

Soren Johnsons CDC talk convinced me to buy this game and I've fallen in love with it, it has completely fired Civ and Endless.