What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 01, 2022, 05:01:26 AMIt must be terryifing to have nearly half of your fellow citizens vote for and support a nihilistic death cult.

Based on what metric?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2022, 05:27:29 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 01, 2022, 05:01:26 AMIt must be terryifing to have nearly half of your fellow citizens vote for and support a nihilistic death cult.

Based on what metric?
GOP support is close to 50%.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

As opposed to solid majorities for Orban.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 01, 2022, 12:12:44 PMAs opposed to solid majorities for Orban.

Right, that would be more than almost half.  And even more terrifying.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 01, 2022, 10:30:14 AM

Based on what metric?
GOP support is close to 5025%.

FTFY  Gallop polls over time
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

That table gives 44% GOP as the most recent poll numbers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 02, 2022, 06:21:53 AM

Based on what metric?

You need to add the totals of the GOP party supporters and the independents who say they support the GOP

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2022, 10:21:18 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 02, 2022, 06:21:53 AM

Based on what metric?

You need to add the totals of the GOP party supporters and the independents who say they support the GOP

Or, you could be more accurate and look at the number who respond to the question "In politics, as of today, do you consider yourself a Republican, a Democrat or an independent?" with "Republican" if you want to know how many Americans "vote for and support" the Republican Party.  Playing "guess the number of people who are lying" game is uninteresting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 02, 2022, 08:04:40 AMThat table gives 44% GOP as the most recent poll numbers.

Actually, it is 28% as of April 19th.  Independent "leaners" don't support the party, nor do they always vote during an election the same way they "lean" months before the election. 

Bayraktar!

DGuller

To be fair, judging GOP support solely based on self-identification is like judging prevalence of racism based solely on admission of being a racist.  Sometimes in social sciences you need to estimate tendencies based on observed behaviors rather than what individuals want others or themselves to believe.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on June 02, 2022, 06:49:25 PMTo be fair, judging GOP support solely based on self-identification is like judging prevalence of racism based solely on admission of being a racist.  Sometimes in social sciences you need to estimate tendencies based on observed behaviors rather than what individuals want others or themselves to believe.

The problem with looking at observed behaviors is that we don't know what those are.  We can be pretty sure that the 28% of the people who identify as Republicans voted for at least some Republican candidates pretty consistently over time.  We don't know if the additional 5% or so of electorate that turned out and voted Republican in 2020 (who were self-identified independents) that were the same as the additional 2% or so of electorate that turned out and voted Republican in 2016, or were completely different.  The vast majority of the "leaners" in any given survey never vote in any given election.  By design, we don't know the names of the people who voted Republican in any given election, so all we have are those who self-identify as people who consider themselves Republicans.

Voter turnout in 2020 was the highest ever, but still was a bit less than 69%.  If, as it appears, a bit more than half of the people who did vote voted Democratic, it isn't statistically possible that almost half of all citizens turned out and voted Republican, as viper claims ("nearly half of your fellow citizens vote for and support a nihilistic death cult"). 

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

So the hearings of started.  Powerful stuff.  At least one congressmen asked Trump for a pardon.  Fox is not showing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1536824337218551809?s=20&t=g8AjEjQGH3Oi4dN8KUZwZg

QuoteThis is one of the scariest videos I've seen.

I don't know what more to say.

Candidate Mark Burns (a Trump ally), running for SC-04, calls for the execution of lgbtq/trans people.

He uses "grooming" to justify.

He lays out exactly how it should be "legally" done.

Genocide.

I like this reply to it:

QuoteBoth sides are the same. One side wants student loan reduction, environmental policy enacted, and socialized healthcare. The other side wants to arm teachers and murder LGBT people. Can't really tell the difference.

The Larch

And that guy is supposed to be a pastor?

The Minsky Moment

It's so over the top batshit that one barely notices he is advocating the restoration of HUAC.

The Trumpist mind is pretty transparent.  You can never go wrong assuming that whatever they are accusing others of is what they have been doing themselves.  It is no accident to see Trumpists shouting about treason and constitutional violations when the 1/6 commission is releasing evidence and findings about their treasonous insurrection.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson