News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Yeah, the Force and Star Trek's shields/holodecks/transporters operate based on plot logic. :P

Besides, Vader was also unable to find Luke hiding behind a column in the Emperor's throne room in Return of the Jedi until he pushed Luke's berserk button. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Solmyr on June 02, 2022, 03:28:30 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 01, 2022, 07:10:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2022, 04:20:29 PMWhat makes you think the times have been peaceful?

We have the events of Rebels, and of Rogue One, which suggest times are not relatively peaceful.
Rogue One is just before ANH, 9 years from this series time.

Rebel was a low key rebel cell activity, not a full scale military operation the likes we have seen in the clone wars.  It was a few very localized events, mostly some patrols facing some rebel cells.  It's not the Empire Strikes Back or RoTJ with multiple casualties.

I dunno, taking out Thrawn does not seem to be low key.

But again, that is right before ANH.  Lothal was never reconquered because of these events.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2022, 07:08:21 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 02, 2022, 07:00:40 AMI figured he was killing villagers to draw out obiwan. Like the the inquisitors in the previous episode. Bad episode, but at least that part made sense. 

Makes no sense when he should have easily sensed where Kenobi was and walk right to him
Only if Obi Wan uses the Force.  Jedi can minimize their presence in the Force to be almost undetectable.  Some are even more adept at this, like Palpatine during his time in the Senate, meeting several Jedi and them never figuring out who he was until he chose to reveal himself.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on June 02, 2022, 07:32:15 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2022, 07:26:42 AMGuys he does not need to draw Kenobi out.  The writers just forgot he should know where Kenobi is. And evidently so did the rest of you  :P

The Force radar has always been widely inconsistent, but AFAIK it has never been shown as capable of sensing the precise location of somebody, just that "he's around".

So how did he find Kenobi in the next scene?  And how did he find the villagers behind the other doors but miss the powerful force user just a couple more meters away. 

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2022, 08:58:00 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2022, 07:26:42 AMGuys he does not need to draw Kenobi out.  The writers just forgot he should know where Kenobi is. And evidently so did the rest of you  :P

The Force radar has always been widely inconsistent, but AFAIK it has never been shown as capable of sensing the precise location of somebody, just that "he's around".

So how did he find Kenobi in the next scene?  And how did he find the villagers behind the other doors but miss the powerful force user just a couple more meters away. 

How did he miss his force using son hiding in the shadows in the Emperor's throne room? How did he not sense his force sensitive daughter standing in front of him in ANH? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on June 02, 2022, 09:07:11 AM

How did he miss his force using son hiding in the shadows in the Emperor's throne room? How did he not sense his force sensitive daughter standing in front of him in ANH? :P

I think you've made my point for me, there is a long terrible tradition of Star Wars not making any sense. I would've hoped that the writers of this new series wouldn't carry on the tradition.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 27, 2022, 08:25:51 PMI am enjoying the fact that the prequels are no longer shunned.

I guess you have extra time to chat with your friends, since the short bus gets loaded earlier.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 01, 2022, 07:53:55 PM
QuoteLuke:
Obi-Wan. Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father.

Obi-Wan:
Your father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.

Luke:
[incredulously] A certain point of view?

Even as a child I thought this was retcon bullshit  :lol:

Yeah, there was an audible groan in the audience, IIRC. Everyone called bullshit on that one.

Syt

Anyways, trailer for Bad Batch S2:

The wookiee padawan from the Clone Wars episodes about the younglings seems to have survived. :D There's also a brief glimpse of what looks like a Zillo beast, a creature seen in S2 of Clone Wars in two episodes (basically homages to Gozilla and King Kong). Palpatine took its corpse in for "research". With his interest in cloning, maybe this is the fruit of his labors? :P

The teaser for Andor:

—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2022, 09:17:08 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 02, 2022, 09:07:11 AM

I think you've made my point for me, there is a long terrible tradition of Star Wars not making any sense. I would've hoped that the writers of this new series wouldn't carry on the tradition.

Star Wars is so inconsistent within its massive universe of media that it is best to just understand a single movie or show through its own internal logic and the story it is trying to communicate. I'm fine with that. I just want a decent show that can stand by itself.

I really liked the first half of the episode. The back half I feel was confusing and a missed opportunity, though I would guess this is not the last meeting between Kenobi and his old apprentice in this limited series. Obi Wan will realize that being a coward is bad and that the Force is actually pretty cool, and then run a clinic on the tin man.

One thing I was really miffed about: They didn't play the Imperial March while Vader walked through the village. CMON MAN PLAY IT YOU COWARDS
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Kenobi didn't feature any canon horribleness this week, but damn, the action bits in the show remain so lazy and unmemorable.  We have had zillions of "infiltrate imperial base" plots over the years, and this one just didn't seem to bother to bring an interesting angle to it.

Didn't recognize any of the Jedi in the tomb. Will check online later.

Syt

I thought the new episode was ok.

I thought Obi-Wan went through his transformation a bit fast. Last episode: "All is lost! We're doomed!" This episode: "We can't sit on our asses! We have to save Leia."

Likewise with the proto-Rebels. "We're no soldiers, we can't do this!" - "But the Empire!" - "Ok, let's do this!"

Obi-Wan entering Fortress Inquisitorus was straight from Jedi: Fallen Order where Cal enters the base that way. The game takes place a few years before the show, so I guess they upgraded security in that Obi-Wan's helper had to override some security now. :P

The entombed Jedi was a nice touch. There was a story with Kanan and Ezra Shaak-ti where she's dead in such a pod, used as bait for other Jedi. I guess storage for future use in cloning projects (but then why not at Mt Tantiss ... ? ). At least one was identified as the old sleepy Jedi that Ahsoka does some detective work with in a Clone Wars episode. One guy looked a bit like Quinlan Vos, but since we heard last episode that he's still around ... it does explain, though, the line from Rebels that "the Mustafar System is where Jedi go to die." (Mustafar and Nur, where the inquisitors are stationed, are in the same system.) That, together with the (almost) child torture keeps the tone of the show surprisingly dark.

Had a good laugh when Obi-Wan attacks the final Stormtrooper in the torture chamber, and the trooper gives some weak lines, like "You should surrender! You can't escape!" or whatever it was, which reminded me a lot of the Jedi Knight games or Jedi: Fallen Order where a lone surviving Imperial would still make such barks :lol:

Otherwise pretty straightforward, but: how THE FUCK can the not-yet-Rebels get to the fortress unchallenged, going the last couple miles in T-47s? How is there no defense or whatever? I don't necessarily expect a full fleet, but a Star Destroyer, or fight contingent, just SOMETHING.  :rolleyes:

Also Vader: "You effed up, prepare to die!" - "But I managed to put a tracker on them!" - "Good job, carry on!"

—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Random thought- how come we never see a scene where the ship's anti-gravity system is on the fritz? To remind the audience that they're in space...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

It happened a few times in Clone Wars IIRC, and I assume that it's mostly because the weightlessness SFX are a lot cheaper for an animated show. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

So, one of the things this shows does is explain why Leia 20 years later will name her son "Ben", which never made sense to me. Given that the "Kenobi" movie was under development before The Force Awakens was released, I wonder if that was already the plan? I don't know when the current premise was originated.