News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Ok, I've seen episode 3.  It's not bad, in itself.
However, it seems to break some well established lore.

Minor spoiler:

Obi-Wan did say "He's more machine than man", that implies he saw Darth Vader in his suit at some point.  I didn't like the confrontation, though.  Not that it wasn't well done, it was extremely well done.  I've re-read the original quote and it was "When I left you...".  So maybe there's that.  I'd still would have preferred if Obi Wan had stayed clear of Vader.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 31, 2022, 11:19:12 PMThe actor playing the third sister is being attacked by vile online racist scum.
I'll have to agree with that, as I still don't see a problem with her acting with 3 episodes in.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

They could use better editing.  How did Ben get out of the building with Vader standing right there.  How did the rebel lady get out of the tunnel and past the third sister.  How did the third sister pass little girl L in the tunnel.

I am not sure what the person is called who needs to worry about making sure the scenes fit together properly but it seems they didn't have one of those people on staff.

Zoupa

Quote from: celedhring on June 01, 2022, 12:52:38 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 01, 2022, 12:30:14 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 01, 2022, 06:03:57 AMThird episode of Kenobi is sadly a clusterfuck.

Yes :( Ready to give up on the series already. This sucked.

I mean I don't know how to begin. There's just no way this squares up with ANH anymore, and it's not like they are sacrificing continuity in exchange of gripping action and storytelling. And it's sad because I honestly dig the idea of "broken Kenobi finding himself again" as the show's throughline. But the execution is mediocre.

Incidentally, I need Syt in this thread.

It's pretty disappointing so far... It feels like a story that didn't need to be told.

The execution is indeed bad. That fight in the quarry or whatever looked like an 80s action sequence. Pretty cringe. Not quite sure how 2 meters of fire stops Vader and a platoon of stormtroopers... Can't he just crush the droid or levitate Kenobi's body to him?

And what's the point of getting Christensen if Vader's in the suit and they're using James Earl Jones' voice?

We're halfway through. Not impressive.

Solmyr

Quote from: celedhring on June 01, 2022, 06:03:57 AMThird episode of Kenobi is sadly a clusterfuck.

I thought it was a nice episode. Vader was terrifying.

Solmyr

Quote from: viper37 on June 01, 2022, 07:10:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2022, 04:20:29 PMWhat makes you think the times have been peaceful?

We have the events of Rebels, and of Rogue One, which suggest times are not relatively peaceful.
Rogue One is just before ANH, 9 years from this series time.

Rebel was a low key rebel cell activity, not a full scale military operation the likes we have seen in the clone wars.  It was a few very localized events, mostly some patrols facing some rebel cells.  It's not the Empire Strikes Back or RoTJ with multiple casualties.

I dunno, taking out Thrawn does not seem to be low key.

Solmyr

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 01, 2022, 11:18:37 PMThey could use better editing.  How did Ben get out of the building with Vader standing right there.  How did the rebel lady get out of the tunnel and past the third sister.  How did the third sister pass little girl L in the tunnel.

I am not sure what the person is called who needs to worry about making sure the scenes fit together properly but it seems they didn't have one of those people on staff.

The Third Sister went outside and to the other exit of the tunnel, she didn't go through the tunnel at all. She clearly knew where that tunnel goes.

Tamas

Ok, I have too much nerd rage boiling to bother with spoiler font, so if you do not want to spoil your enjoyment of the terrible delivery of a lame storyline, do not read further.

So, in ANH Vader gloats of turning from student to master while they were away from each other. He gloats in similar fashion in this episode, ruining the whole continuity.

But fine, they can still come up with some Vader-amnesia before the season finale or whatever. But this whole fight... Vader just force-pulling Kenobi through those very flames which 30 seconds later completely stop him from preventing Kenobi's escape, and he is just standing there, probably the directors thought it was a cool reference of him watching as the Millenium Falcon jumps away just before being caught. Well, it wasn't.

What was the point of all this? Have them meet, fine, in some dramatic season-closing final boss fight, whatever. But this lame crap? What the hell?!

I was quite hopeful after the first two episodes, but this third one was terrible.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on June 02, 2022, 03:35:42 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 01, 2022, 11:18:37 PMThey could use better editing.  How did Ben get out of the building with Vader standing right there.  How did the rebel lady get out of the tunnel and past the third sister.  How did the third sister pass little girl L in the tunnel.

The Third Sister went outside and to the other exit of the tunnel, she didn't go through the tunnel at all. She clearly knew where that tunnel goes.

So, she knew were a tunnel went even though she had never been to that planet and had never been in that tunnel and then she beat somebody who had a big head start, going the long way around. You really got a love Star Wars to come up with that solution.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on June 02, 2022, 04:38:13 AMOk, I have too much nerd rage boiling to bother with spoiler font, so if you do not want to spoil your enjoyment of the terrible delivery of a lame storyline, do not read further.

So, in ANH Vader gloats of turning from student to master while they were away from each other. He gloats in similar fashion in this episode, ruining the whole continuity.

But fine, they can still come up with some Vader-amnesia before the season finale or whatever. But this whole fight... Vader just force-pulling Kenobi through those very flames which 30 seconds later completely stop him from preventing Kenobi's escape, and he is just standing there, probably the directors thought it was a cool reference of him watching as the Millenium Falcon jumps away just before being caught. Well, it wasn't.

What was the point of all this? Have them meet, fine, in some dramatic season-closing final boss fight, whatever. But this lame crap? What the hell?!

I was quite hopeful after the first two episodes, but this third one was terrible.
Quote from: Solmyr on June 02, 2022, 03:28:00 AM

I thought it was a nice episode. Vader was terrifying.

They have turned Vader into a comic book villain, randomly killing villagers for no reason.

He could've been truly terrifying, but then they decided to Nerf him just as the fight was ending so that a small fire could stop him.

Also, how is it that Vader can sense Kenobi decks away in the Death Star but does not immediately sense him in the village.

HVC

I figured he was killing villagers to draw out obiwan. Like the the inquisitors in the previous episode. Bad episode, but at least that part made sense. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on June 02, 2022, 07:00:40 AMI figured he was killing villagers to draw out obiwan. Like the the inquisitors in the previous episode. Bad episode, but at least that part made sense. 

Makes no sense when he should have easily sensed where Kenobi was and walk right to him

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2022, 06:40:28 AMThey have turned Vader into a comic book villain, randomly killing villagers for no reason.

Disagree. He spreads fear among the villagers, maybe hoping to make them betray Kenobi and (more importantly) hopes to draw out Kenobi because he assumes that he will try to stop him. Similar to what the Grand Inquisitor said in his opening speech in the first episode. (And where Reva helps identify the Jedi by throwing the knife at the barkeep.)

Obi-Wan not aiding those in need because he's lost his way is a continued theme - relatively harmlessly at his fish cutting job where he doesn't stand up to the bully foreman, then when the fugitive Jedi asks for his help, and again when the inquisitors threaten the civilians in Mos Eisley.

I expect this episode will be the start of him turning - he knows there's people standing up to the Empire, like the Imperial turncoat, and that there's basically an underground railroad aiding Jedi. And Leia being captured by the inquisitors might impel him to make his way out of the hole he's currently in.

As for Third Sister getting to the spaceport before Leia - not much of a stretch IMO. She sees the refuge, sees the messages on the walls etc. and the tunnel, so it's not much of a stretch to deduce that the place is used to help people escape the Empire and that therefore an exit must lead to the spaceport; also, that it's likely that her prey is headed that way. She can draw information from people's minds, so she might be able to find the exit quickly. As to how she got there so fast, esp. since the spaceport i earlier shots seems to be on a hill? Remember that in canon (as shown in Rebels) inquisitor lightsabers have built in repulsorlifts that let them fly:

Does it look stupid? Yes. Is it established in canon? Yes. :P :lol:

Only thing that didn't really work for me was Vader being paralyzed by gazing into the flames - I get that he would have a trauma towards it, but it just felt awkward, esp. since he ignited the flames before himself. I do like that we see that after his cyborgification he's nowhere near as mobile as he used to be, i.e. in Ep. 2 and 3 or during the Clone Wars. He can't even really run, it seems, so he relies on brute power and the force in combat, and scaring opponents into submission.

Can't say I liked Zach Braff's (literal) mole character much, either - more a case of design, because the mouth movements and dialogue don't align well. I'm all for using practical effects, but it felt off. And the ride on his truck was rather drawn out, though it added some nice Obi-Wan/Leia moments. Also, the trooper cut in half? Sheesh. Read somewhere this episode has one of the lowest age ratings for modern Star Wars, and between the bisected trooper and killing civilians left and right that's a bit of a surprise. :D

Liked the look of Fortress Inquisitorus, which still has a weak name, but looks pretty much as known from Jedi: Fallen Order and the comics. Also the infighting between the inquisitors was nice; reminiscent of the Sith of old.

Some eagle eyed viewers pointed out a few nice easter eggs: the kid that fled in episode 2 of the show was named Corran; with Corran Horn being a prominent character in the old expanded universe, starting as the protagonist of the X-Wing series, and then later becoming a Jedi. Apparently the mother in the episode also has the name that Corran's mother has in the book. Plus, some old EU Jedi names show up in the refugee shack, including Neeja Halcyon, which was Corran Horn's dad's name before he went into hiding and took on the name Hal Horn. Maybe just easter eggs, maybe something more.

The Andor trailer looks interesting, but also really weird. There wasn't much recognizable content, but it's intriguing. I always feel the Star Wars galaxy is such a huge and vast place, and I'd like to see more of it (and recently they've very much mostly focused on known characters and locations, throwing in the occasional new content, but instead tying everything more tightly together instead of expanding), which this trailer promises so far.

Not much known about the Acolyte show yet, except that it's set 100 years before Phantom Menace, at the tail end of the High Republic, and is supposed to be more of a thriller, presumably about the Sith starting to set their plans in motion. The timeline would put the show ca. half way between the High Republic content and Episode I.

Jon Watts is working on a Star Wars series that's likened to 80s coming of age features like Stand By Me, and is likened to "Stranger Things in Space." https://collider.com/jon-watts-star-wars-series-details-coming-of-age-story/

Plus more new animated content. Bad Batch Season 2, Young Jedi Adventures (set during the High Republic era) and Tales of the Jedi, animated shorts about various Jedi (e.g. with one episode about young Qui-Gon Jinn training under Count Dooku).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Guys he does not need to draw Kenobi out.  The writers just forgot he should know where Kenobi is. And evidently so did the rest of you  :P

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2022, 07:26:42 AMGuys he does not need to draw Kenobi out.  The writers just forgot he should know where Kenobi is. And evidently so did the rest of you  :P

The Force radar has always been widely inconsistent, but AFAIK it has never been shown as capable of sensing the precise location of somebody, just that "he's around".