News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 01, 2022, 10:03:02 AMYou really have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to make this plotline work at all.
She makes the connection that Senator Organa and Kenobi worked together during the Clone Wars.  Not that Leia is Vader's child, hidden by Kenobi, or even an adopter daughter.

The Empire already keeps all former Jedi acquaintances under surveillance. Organa is no different.

What she did was pushing a little too far, kidnapping the daughter of an Imperial senator.  It worked, so she's out of trouble.  If it hadn't, it had been something else.

EDIT:
Better question to ask is how is it everyone believes Kenobi is dead 9 years later, because "it's been so long he must be dead by now" and there's a confirmed sighting right there, that may involve Vader himself.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on June 01, 2022, 06:03:57 AMThird episode of Kenobi is sadly a clusterfuck.

Yes :( Ready to give up on the series already. This sucked.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on June 01, 2022, 12:30:14 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 01, 2022, 06:03:57 AMThird episode of Kenobi is sadly a clusterfuck.

Yes :( Ready to give up on the series already. This sucked.

I mean I don't know how to begin. There's just no way this squares up with ANH anymore, and it's not like they are sacrificing continuity in exchange of gripping action and storytelling. And it's sad because I honestly dig the idea of "broken Kenobi finding himself again" as the show's throughline. But the execution is mediocre.

Incidentally, I need Syt in this thread.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on June 01, 2022, 12:52:38 PMIncidentally, I need Syt in this thread.

It's not mindblowing, but I enjoy it. Also, I'm immensely exhausted these last few days, and not in much of a mood to go into big arguments about it.

Unsure why this doesn't square up with ANH, though. We're in the middle of the story arc, where our hero is at his lowest. From here I expect he will rise again, reconnect with the force, face Vader again in a much more even fight that schools Vader (leading to the "When I left you, I was but a learner ..." line), rescue Leia, and escape in a way that also makes everyone think he's dead.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 01, 2022, 10:53:01 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 01, 2022, 10:03:02 AMYou really have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to make this plotline work at all.
She makes the connection that Senator Organa and Kenobi worked together during the Clone Wars.  Not that Leia is Vader's child, hidden by Kenobi, or even an adopter daughter.

The Empire already keeps all former Jedi acquaintances under surveillance. Organa is no different.

What she did was pushing a little too far, kidnapping the daughter of an Imperial senator.  It worked, so she's out of trouble.  If it hadn't, it had been something else.

Yes, and if one has just a bit of curiosity in the position of Vader, one might just ask themselves, what was so special here to make Kenobi come out of hiding after all these years.  Just that he knew, in passing, one of the Senators.  No, a more curious mind would think there is more to it than that.

Tamas

ANH seemed to be really clear about it was the first Kenobi-Vader meeting since Vader was Kenobi's student.

viper37

The 3rd Sister pretty much says what drives a Jedi in the opening of the series. ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on June 01, 2022, 02:49:51 PMANH seemed to be really clear about it was the first Kenobi-Vader meeting since Vader was Kenobi's student.
Yes.  But it seems the 3rd episode has fucked that up nicely (haven't seen it yet) :(

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on June 01, 2022, 02:49:51 PMANH seemed to be really clear about it was the first Kenobi-Vader meeting since Vader was Kenobi's student.

*Note* I haven't had a chance to watch.  Yet.

But the line from Vader goes "I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master!"

It seems to me there's still room for a meeting between Obi-Wan and Vader in-between Episodes 3 and 4, just as long as Vader still feels like he was a "learner" at that time.  It stretches canon, but doesn't break it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Star Wars has never been consistent. Love triangle angle got revamped as incest, Vader killed Luke's dad, then became his dad. Keeping the tradition alive!

Haven't watched episode 3 yet, though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2022, 03:43:46 PM

But the line from Vader goes "I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master!"

It seems to me there's still room for a meeting between Obi-Wan and Vader in-between Episodes 3 and 4, just as long as Vader still feels like he was a "learner" at that time.  It stretches canon, but doesn't break it.
Tarkin believes him to be dead because they've long been without news.  That implies a certain measure of time after some eventful period.  9 years through relatively peaceful times is not enough for me.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 01, 2022, 04:11:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2022, 03:43:46 PM

Tarkin believes him to be dead because they've long been without news.  That implies a certain measure of time after some eventful period.  9 years through relatively peaceful times is not enough for me.

What makes you think the times have been peaceful?

We have the events of Rebels, and of Rogue One, which suggest times are not relatively peaceful.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2022, 04:20:29 PMWhat makes you think the times have been peaceful?

We have the events of Rebels, and of Rogue One, which suggest times are not relatively peaceful.
Rogue One is just before ANH, 9 years from this series time.

Rebel was a low key rebel cell activity, not a full scale military operation the likes we have seen in the clone wars.  It was a few very localized events, mostly some patrols facing some rebel cells.  It's not the Empire Strikes Back or RoTJ with multiple casualties.

FunkMonk

QuoteLuke:
Obi-Wan. Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father.

Obi-Wan:
Your father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.

Luke:
[incredulously] A certain point of view?

Even as a child I thought this was retcon bullshit  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Did you ever want to see an alt-right asshole throw a tantrum over Star Wars?  Seriously?  No, you didn't.  Nobody wants to see that.  But here it is anyway.
https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1531652700605140993
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017