News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Disney have provided a watchlist for people who want to catch up on Obi-Wan's background:

The movies make sense of course. I would put a huge asterisk on the Clone Wars movie. For as great as Clone Wars can be, it's a terrible introduction to the series. It doesn't help that it's basically just a few episodes slapped together into a movie. Read a plot summary instead. :P

The Clone Wars episodes in S2 and 5 are about his connection to Mandalore, and cover much of how the attempts of Duchess Satine to reform Mandalorians into a peaceful society failed, plus her very personal connection to Obi-Wan. The season 5 arc is a tad dark. Not sure why they include S2 Ep. 15 (Padme and Bail Organa investigating murders in the senate) and Ep. 16 (Anakin running a blockade to get supplies to Bail Organa), though. :hmm:

The Season 4 episodes have Obi-Wan go undercover as bounty hunter after faking his own death. It's a fun adventure (and has Cad Bane!), but it also is a key moment for Anakin: he's kept completely in the dark, and it makes him question how far he can trust the Jedi Order, or even Obi-Wan.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

This Disney primer includes the cartoons, right?  That's the Clone Wars stuff?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

What about any movies based on cartoons based on toys based on movies? You know, LEGO shit.  Anything required from that?

Syt

No, I don't think any of that stuff is canon. Though their Halloween special had a fun story of Kylo joining the Knights of Ren, spoofing The Lost Boys (including sexy saxophone player). :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I'm surprised that Star Wars Explained hasn't put out a lore video about Obi-Wan before the series premiere this week.  :hmm:

IGN has it covered, though, summarizing his canon story so far from books to movies, to comics, to animated shows:

(His second duel with Maul in Star Wars Rebels is one of the highlights of that series.)

SW explained has put out a video explaining - based on the trailers - some of the elements they bring in from non-live action, though, like the inquisitors:

—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Lots of talk about the new SW shows

Obi-Wan, Andor, Rebellion, Ahsoka, The Acolyte.  No talk of the Rogue Squadron movie though.  

I fear it's gone with the wind:
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star-wars-rogue-squadron-trouble-creative-differences/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Yeah, the Rogue Squadron flick seems dead.

A pity, I kinda have an itch for starships pew-pew. I'll have to rewatch the Battle of Scarif again, I guess.

celedhring

"Andor" trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UX1Adanis&ab_channel=StarWars

I liked Rogue One, but I'll admit that after exiting the movie "I really want to see more of Cassian Andor" wasn't very high on my list. Nonetheless, seems interesting enough, looks like it will also deal with "origin of the Rebellion" stuff.

Habbaku

I was actually shocked by how good the trailer is. I am also less than interested in seeing more of Cassian Andor, but if he serves as a vehicle to watch clandestine terror networks of the Rebel Alliance go to work, then great.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

So Kenobi, Ep1/2 - I liked them overall, even though some of the plotting is a bit forced (particularly ep 2). The big takeaway though is that it looks like the show has a story to tell, unlike say Boba.

- Don't really care for the Inquisitors as villains, didn't like them in Rebels and don't like them in here. They're just too cartoony, even for Star Wars standards. The terrible make-up/costume job doesn't help either.
- McGregor is great as Kenobi. Love how broken he is after the events of ROTS. He's quite far from the wise character we meet in A New Hope, and I hope they can bridge that gap in the show effectively (which seems its indeed the character arc they are going for).
- I was worried about how they would take Kenobi off Tatooine, but I think that part (the kidnapping of Leia) makes sense and works. It also feeds into his character arc of finding again his heroism. It also fits in with the beginning of ANH, with Leia seeking him again for help.
- Some nice little bits of worldbuilding (the Clone beggar, the fake Jedi con artist)
- Kenobi navigating the seedy underworld always works.
- Not sure about Third Sister knowing that Lord Vader is Anakin Skywalker - I thought that was kinda a secret.
- I like the fact that we are two episodes in and Kenobi has yet to light up his lightsaber.
- Incidentally, my favorite moment so far is Obi-Wan digging up his lightsabers from the desert at the end of episode 1.
- Poor Rupert Friend, saddled with bad makeup, pompous dialogue, and an early "death" (since his character has to show up in Rebels).

The Larch

You watched the episodes during breakfast or what?  :lol:

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on May 27, 2022, 04:47:29 AMYou watched the episodes during breakfast or what?  :lol:

I started the first one as soon as it was uploaded  :lol:

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on May 27, 2022, 04:50:00 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 27, 2022, 04:47:29 AMYou watched the episodes during breakfast or what?  :lol:

I started the first one as soon as it was uploaded  :lol:

I tend to catch up on TV during quiet workdays.  :D
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

Watched the two Kenobi episodes. Really enjoyed it. Seeing McGregor as Obi Wan again put a smile on my face. And I appreciated the prequel trilogy refresher at the start of first episode.

I am enjoying the fact that the prequels are no longer shunned. Although I guess that has been the case for a while, what with the success of the animated series and all.

I wonder if in 20 years the sequel trilogy will become beloved. :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.