News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 26, 2022, 08:55:12 PMThe trick is to make them look deranged rather than yourself look smug and arrogant.

They don't need any help looking deranged.

Avoiding smug and arrogant is good, but looking smug and arrogant hasn't hurt the Republicans.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Is there an Overton window on crazy vs arrogant?
As I think that might have shifted too. Merely knowing a fact is now arrogant.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on May 27, 2022, 01:44:00 AMIs there an Overton window on crazy vs arrogant?

It is okay to know a fact but why should you rub it in people's faces?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on May 27, 2022, 01:47:26 AMIt is okay to know a fact but why should you rub it in people's faces?

Because sometimes that can be entertaining for both parties.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on May 27, 2022, 01:47:26 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 27, 2022, 01:44:00 AMIs there an Overton window on crazy vs arrogant?

If I say a cow is a vache in French is that rubbing it in your face?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on May 27, 2022, 03:17:52 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 27, 2022, 01:47:26 AM

If I say a cow is a vache in French is that rubbing it in your face?

Please keep that behind closed doors.  :blurgh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Plenty of people voted for a deranged-looking Trump.

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on May 27, 2022, 04:12:54 AMPlenty of people voted for a deranged-looking Trump.

Sure, but that goes back to the shitty Democratic messaging issue.

Trump was always going to get the deranged vote.  What the Dems needed to focus their messages on isn't the derangement of the right, but how pathetic it is.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on May 27, 2022, 01:47:26 AMIt is okay to know a fact but why should you rub it in people's faces?

I believe John Cleese addressed this some time ago

QuoteTo call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people! I've known sheep that could outwit you. I've worn dresses with higher IQs.  . . . Now let me correct you on a couple of things, OK? Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on May 26, 2022, 05:33:31 PMYeah, I've noticed a thing about alt right populist types to outright fish for people calling them stupid so they can go off on one about arrogant metropolitan Liberal elites.
metropolitan Liberals don't really need outright fishing to call people outside their immediate circle "stupid".  That's been pretty much or less the same since at least the 80s.

Edit:
thinking of it, since at least Versailles was built...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 27, 2022, 08:00:11 AMWhat the Dems needed to focus their messages on isn't the derangement of the right, but how pathetic it is.
calling them a coallition of the pathetic?
Maybe...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on May 27, 2022, 04:10:57 PM
Quote from: Josquius on May 26, 2022, 05:33:31 PMYeah, I've noticed a thing about alt right populist types to outright fish for people calling them stupid so they can go off on one about arrogant metropolitan Liberal elites.
metropolitan Liberals don't really need outright fishing to call people outside their immediate circle "stupid".  That's been pretty much or less the same since at least the 80s.

Edit:
thinking of it, since at least Versailles was built...

They don't even exist in the right wing sense. It's just a way of grouping together various groups they don't like, whether they're urban dwelling and Liberal or not, using a term that requires a bit of investigation to see "yeah, you just copy and pasted old nazi and Soviet propeganda there".

That's another myth the far right use though. The whole "you just can't stand anyone with a different point of view!" when it's one particular point of view someone takes umbrage with.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 24, 2022, 08:41:48 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 22, 2022, 11:58:19 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 22, 2022, 06:45:02 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2022, 06:15:20 PMApparently Hershel Walker is running for US Senator from Georgia as a Republican.  A Trump friendly Republican according to CNN.

Help for Yuros: retired black football player.
Dude has dissociative identity disorder, hard to see him overcoming that.

There are betting odds on him getting the republican nomination for Senate. He is at 90%.

There are also betting odds on Republicans winning the senate race. They are at 62%.

Just how disconnected from the country are you?
Haven't been any dark money ads attacking his mental state yet.

Alright Tim, now there have been a zillion ads attacking him from all directions...He won the republican primary by 54% and fivethirtyeight now has him a 55% favorite to win the senate seat.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-election-forecast/senate/georgia/

Are you ready to admit defeat on this one?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on July 01, 2022, 06:39:39 AMAre you ready to admit defeat on this one?

You are missing the bigger picture.  Yes Georgia may elect Walker, but only so that they can trade him to Minnesota for extra Senators.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 01, 2022, 08:34:50 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 01, 2022, 06:39:39 AMAre you ready to admit defeat on this one?

You are missing the bigger picture.  Yes Georgia may elect Walker, but only so that they can trade him to Minnesota for extra Senators.

Electing Walker would indeed be a gamble for Georgia. But who better to gamble with than a guy that has played russian roulette at least 6 times and is still going strong?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014