Refractory Gauls, or the French politics thread

Started by Duque de Bragança, June 26, 2021, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 30, 2022, 11:54:09 AMFalse friend, déportation in French does not have the same meaning as in English  :contract:
I thought he was calling it "remigration" - I'm saying if you strip away the bullshit and pretence around that what he means is deportation, as in the English word.

QuotePlus Génération Z is more reminiscent of Zorro (not the original Portuguese meaning) than anything else for Zemmour's Generation.
What's this relevant to? My point is things have happened in the world since he launched his campaign that means "Generation Z" is a more problematic slogan.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2022, 12:02:08 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 30, 2022, 11:54:09 AMFalse friend, déportation in French does not have the same meaning as in English  :contract:
I thought he was calling it "remigration" - I'm saying if you strip away the bullshit and pretence around that what he means is deportation, as in the English word.

QED
Deportation in the English sense is legal in the UK, US and plenty of other countries. It's somewhat restricted in France thanks to Sarkozy  :rolleyes:
Zemmour wants a return to the earlier situation plus some incentives for repatriation of unassimilable immigrants, à la Giscard (10 000 FF in the '70s for voluntary returns which backfired btw), along with changes about citizenship laws (less jus soli more jus sanguinis).

QuotePlus Génération Z is more reminiscent of Zorro (not the original Portuguese meaning) than anything else for Zemmour's Generation.
QuoteWhat's this relevant to? My point is things have happened in the world since he launched his campaign that means "Generation Z" is a more problematic slogan.

That Putin used a latin alphabet letter for some obscure reason does not mean it can not be used anymore in the French language and politics.
Only ignorant Anglos, totally hopeless in foreign languages, can come up with such a non sequitur.  :lol:
https://livre.fnac.com/a3399971/Eric-Zemmour-Z-comme-Zemmour
A Zemmour book, from ten years ago.

Besides, it's Zemmour not ЗЕМУР. Mélenchon, the primus inter pares of poutinolâtres would be harder to transliterate, not to mention nasals do not exist in Russian and are not contemplated in cyrilic. Marine (Marina?° is fine for that though. :P

Duque de Bragança

Pécresse is a real disappointment however. The one that could beat Macro in the run-off. :(

Duque de Bragança

https://www.reuters.com/article/france-mckinsey-senate-idUSL5N2VS3MS

A real scandal, but it does not seem to interest you that much, since your boy Macro is involved.  :P

QuoteFrench Senate accuses McKinsey exec of false testimony in tax hearing
By Reuters Staff
2 MIN READ

March 25 (Reuters) - The French Senate said on Friday it was launching legal action concerning U.S. management consultancy McKinsey, suspecting an executive of giving false testimony when he told senators the company was paying corporate taxes in France.

The controversy comes as rivals of President Emmanuel Macron, less than three weeks ahead of the presidential election, accuse the government of lavishly spending taxpayers' money on international consultancies during its term.

The Senate said that a French executive in January told a hearing: "I say it very clearly: We pay corporate taxes in France and all our salaries are registered in a company under French law which pays its taxes in France."

The Senate said in a statement on Friday it has taken "legal action on suspicion of false testimony before the inquiry's committee".

Macron's government has been accused of paying millions for advice on what was criticised as a slow rollout of COVID-19 vaccines.

According to a Senate report published last week, French ministries have more than doubled spending on advisers from 379 million euros ($417 million) in 2018 to 894 million euros last year.

The report also found that McKinsey, which has been present in France since 1964 and has its office on Paris' prestigious Champs-Elysees, had not paid corporate taxes in the country over the last ten years.

McKinsey did not comment when contacted by Reuters, referring back to a previous statement that said its French arm had paid out 422 million euros ($465 million) in taxes and social charges from 2011 to 2020, without specifying whether that included corporate taxes.

False testimony before an inquiry committee, or perjury, is liable to five years imprisonment and a fine of 75,000 euros. ($1 = 0.9083 euros) (Reporting by Tassilo Hummel and Sarah Morland; Editing by Nick Macfie)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 30, 2022, 12:15:34 PMQED
Deportation in the English sense is legal in the UK, US and plenty of other countries. It's somewhat restricted in France thanks to Sarkozy  :rolleyes:
Zemmour wants a return to the earlier situation plus some incentives for repatriation of unassimilable immigrants, à la Giscard (10 000 FF in the '70s for voluntary returns which backfired btw), along with changes about citizenship laws (less jus soli more jus sanguinis).
At least 100,000 a year: "au moins 100,000 renvois par an". He's promised to reach a million within his first five years - organised apparently with the cooperation of Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia. It's the "remigration of the people we no longer want" or when someone comes into your home and is aggressive to you "you kick them out" and send them "home".

As I say I think the mask is off.

QuoteThat Putin used a latin alphabet letter for some obscure reason does not mean it can not be used anymore in the French language and politics.
Only ignorant Anglos, totally hopeless in foreign languages, can come up with such a non sequitur.  :lol:
I think you're still missing my point or choosing to.

Although as I say none of this matters because he's flaming out - though still concerning that a candidate like that is polling around 10-15%. What matters are Le Pen, Melenchon and Macron.

QuoteA real scandal, but it does not seem to interest you that much, since your boy Macro is involved.  :P
Yes. The one consistent theme in my posts is definitely that I'm a Macron enthusiast :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2022, 12:28:25 PMAs I say I think the mask is off.

:secret:

Just because you say it does not mean it is true. Argument by assertion and all that jazz.
Zemmour stated a long time ago he was not in favour of unassimilable immigration. Haram for multiculturalists of course.

QuoteYes. The one consistent theme in my posts is definitely that I'm a Macron enthusiast :blink:

Burning the golden veal?  :D
Too late.
Given the choice between Zemmour/Marine or even Mélenchon vs Macro, it' fair to say your choice has been made a long time ago.  :P

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

Duque - Sheilbh is saying "reimgration" = [english definition] of deportation. It is not a non-sequiteur, it's saying aiming to [english definition] deport 100,000 - 1 million people is showing what Zemmour is all about, it shows his true colours. Whatever "deportation" means in French is irrelevant to Sheilbh's point. The fact that other countries also deport people isn't relevant either... even if those other countries deported the massive numbers Zemmour says he wants to deport.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 30, 2022, 12:31:41 PMSo has yours.

You mean for Pécresse? Yeah, anything but Maquereau (some very right-wing people I know would even Mélenchon in the presidential election, not legislative).

Unfortunately, she is not going to make it to the run-off (I will be gladly proven wrong).

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on March 30, 2022, 12:36:02 PMDuque - Sheilbh is saying "reimgration" = [english definition] of deportation. It is not a non-sequiteur, it's saying aiming to [english definition] deport 100,000 - 1 million people is showing what Zemmour is all about, it shows his true colours. Whatever "deportation" means in French is irrelevant to Sheilbh's point. The fact that other countries also deport people isn't relevant either... even if those other countries deported the massive numbers Zemmour says he wants to deport.

First 100,000 then 1 million? Going populist i.e demagog on us à la Macron/Zemmour/Marine/Mélenchon with inflating numbers ?

Even Pécresse wants to rise the number of criminals being sent back to their country of origin (double peine).

Jacob

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 30, 2022, 12:31:41 PMSo has yours.

To be fair to Duque, he's been quite open about his values for quite a long time.

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 30, 2022, 12:38:37 PMFirst 100,000 then 1 million? Going populist i.e demagog on us à la Macron/Zemmour/Marine/Mélenchon with inflating numbers ?

?

I'm going with what Sheilbh said. That Zemmour wants to deport a minimum of 100,000 year, and promised to reach 1 million within the first five years. Is that inaccurate?

Sheilbh

A source on his statement of 1 million as an aim - with Le Pen (of all people) condemning it as "anti-Republican":
https://www.lefigaro.fr/elections/presidentielles/un-concept-injuste-et-antirepublicain-marine-le-pen-raille-la-remigration-promue-par-eric-zemmour-20220322

I don't think there's any inconsistency with saying at least 100,000 a year but an aim of 1 million over five years.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2022, 12:43:08 PMA source on his statement of 1 million as an aim - with Le Pen (of all people) condemning it as "anti-Republican":
https://www.lefigaro.fr/elections/presidentielles/un-concept-injuste-et-antirepublicain-marine-le-pen-raille-la-remigration-promue-par-eric-zemmour-20220322

I don't think there's any inconsistency with saying at least 100,000 a year but an aim of 1 million over five years.

I thought I was a Le Pen supporter, according to Oexmelin and Jacob (traumatised by the social-democrats going realistic on immigration in Denmark or what?) anyways, so basically I disagree with both Zemmour and Marine leaving me with whom? Pécresse or Macro?  :hmm: Make up our mind.

Plus, it's still an electoral promise, something which does not carry much weight and will be quietly discarded in favour of return to good ol' double peine.

Zemmour has a history of being more moderate in his books and sometimes throwing a provocative concept on TV as the polemist he is, hence why I am not triggered by the figure.

PS : having you quoting Marine a a moderate, granting her a de facto republican satisfecit is hilarious.  :lol:

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 30, 2022, 12:52:02 PMI thought I was a Le Pen supporter, according to Oexmelin and you anyways, so basically I disagree with both Zemmour and Marine leaving me with whom? Pécresse or Macro?  :hmm: Make up our mind.

I don't think Sheilbh was talking about you at all :hmm:

QuotePlus, it's still an electoral promise, something which does not carry much weight and will be quietly discarded in favour of return to good ol' double peine.

Zemmour has a history of being more moderate in his books and sometimes throwing a provocative concept as the polemist he is, hence why I am not triggered by the figure.

Would you object to the figure if you believed it was a real statement of intent?