News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

College Football, 2021-22

Started by grumbler, September 05, 2021, 05:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Nebraska does that to everyone.  They are 1-8 in the conference but their net score in conference games is +2 (lost 8 by a total of 47 points, won 1 by 49).

Iowa is the only ranked Big Ten team Michigan has not played yet.  Great matchup in the CCG.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Arizona is probably not the best 1-11 team in the country.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

Wyoming went 6-6, a very Wyoming season:  started 4-0, lost the next 4 (and somehow forgot how to score at all...), then split the last 2 which included wins vs rivals (Colorado State, the worst university in the history of colleges ever) and against the conference leader.

6 wins is far better than the 1-11 days of the early 2000s (Sorry, Berk), but this was going to be a "year" with maybe 9 or 10 wins...well, NEXT YEAR!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

A funny story:  Michigan defensive end David Ojabo was born in Nigeria, grew up in Aberdeen Scotland, and only started playing American football when he got a scholarship for his junior and senior years of High School at Blair Academy in New Jersey. His parents came to the US to see him play in The Game at the Big House.  That was the first American football game they'd ever seen, and Ojabo says that they now think that that is what all American Football games are like.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on November 28, 2021, 11:05:39 AM
A funny story:  Michigan defensive end David Ojabo was born in Nigeria, grew up in Aberdeen Scotland, and only started playing American football when he got a scholarship for his junior and senior years of High School at Blair Academy in New Jersey. His parents came to the US to see him play in The Game at the Big House.  That was the first American football game they'd ever seen, and Ojabo says that they now think that that is what all American Football games are like.

Good story.  I also like the one about the kid for Central Michigan who came the to US as an exchange student for one year from Austria where he had played American Football - that small school of 400 kids made a run into the playoffs and he caught the attention of college recruiters.  He played as a tight end/wide receiver and got college scholarships, and has now transitioned to a all-league left tackle.  Of course, he is a very athletic 6'7" kid who kept that after adding 60 lbs to move to the line - that is just a cool thing.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on November 28, 2021, 04:14:42 PM
Good story.  I also like the one about the kid for Central Michigan who came the to US as an exchange student for one year from Austria where he had played American Football - that small school of 400 kids made a run into the playoffs and he caught the attention of college recruiters.  He played as a tight end/wide receiver and got college scholarships, and has now transitioned to a all-league left tackle.  Of course, he is a very athletic 6'7" kid who kept that after adding 60 lbs to move to the line - that is just a cool thing.

You gotta love those kinds of stories.  In the Rutgers game last year, Ojabo started screaming at the Rutgers QB for spiking the ball right at Ojabos feet.  He'd never even known that a team could spike the ball, and thought the QB was disrespecting him.

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

I remember a while back I commented on all the African surnames in college and pro ball and people were like what are you talking about Yi.  They're everywhere.

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2021, 08:16:16 PM
I remember a while back I commented on all the African surnames in college and pro ball and people were like what are you talking about Yi.  They're everywhere.
What are you talking about, Yi?
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Still basking in the glow...

The Game 2021 had the highest TV rating of any Fox college football game ever.

Aiden Hutcheson's 15 QB hurries is the most ever recorded by Pro Football Focus (which has rated every player in every Division 1 game since 2004).  He also had three rushing TFLs.  Give the man his Heisman.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Someone needs to work on their footwork.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

If you add up UWyo's line you get close to 5 stars.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

grumbler

Another great Hutch moment that I hadn't been aware of:  When Hutch (#97) broke the Michigan single-season sack record in the 2021 Ohio State game, the holder was his father, Chris Hutcheson (#97), who had set it in the 1992 Ohio State game.

I'm a sucker for father-son stories.

Bayraktar!

ulmont