News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

College Football, 2021-22

Started by grumbler, September 05, 2021, 05:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Fall hasn't fallen for me until College Football kicks off, and this year was no different.

My Michigan Wolverines came out and kicked some ass, but it was only against Western Michigan, so I'm going to hold my applause.

Unfortunately, Michigan's marquee OOC game is against Washington next week, and, well... the ranked Huskies lost to a BCS team, which makes next week's game lose-lose for the Wolverines.

Surprise stat of the day for me was 109,601 - the attendance at Michigan Stadium.  If you've lived through the online talk about this year's team, you'd have thought that the 42-year 100k+ attendance record was doomed, but the least inviting game of the year still saw more people show up than the stadium can technically hold.

How did your team do?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

10-3 over Clemson and I missed it. Oh well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 05, 2021, 06:02:42 PM
10-3 over Clemson and I missed it. Oh well.

Revenge game in the playoffs?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Wyoming totally trashed a BCS Montana State, taking them to the woodpile for an old fashioned whooping...

Actually, Wyoming had to have a last ditch drive to win (a TD catch with 40+ seconds left) 19-16 and they looked really mediocre, but those 19 points are like a blowout to a Wyo fan.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

A ridiculously hard catch by Michigan's Ronnie Bell is negated by a phantom call. https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/32145397

I don't think I've ever seen a receiver snag a ball one-handed like that.

To add insult to (literal) injury, Bell later left the game on a stretcher.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on September 05, 2021, 06:39:04 PM
Wyoming totally trashed a BCS Montana State, taking them to the woodpile for an old fashioned whooping...

Actually, Wyoming had to have a last ditch drive to win (a TD catch with 40+ seconds left) 19-16 and they looked really mediocre, but those 19 points are like a blowout to a Wyo fan.

A +3 win is always a blowout compared to a -1 loss.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on September 05, 2021, 07:29:01 PM
A ridiculously hard catch by Michigan's Ronnie Bell is negated by a phantom call. https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/32145397

I don't think I've ever seen a receiver snag a ball one-handed like that.

To add insult to (literal) injury, Bell later left the game on a stretcher.

That was an amazing catch.

Nothing phantom about the call though. He extended and pushed off the defender, twice.

Not a great call, because the defender was not all that clean either, but certainly not phantom. It's plain as day.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Arizona lost in a respectable manner to BYU, keeping our college football leading losing streak alive.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on September 05, 2021, 06:39:04 PM

Better than how UDub did against the other Montana school.

Next weekend Texas goes to Fayettenam to do its dangerous tour of duty against the Pigs and Swine of Arkansas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Dan Dierdorf is retiring at the end of the season from his job broadcasting Michigan games on the radio/internet.

I'll miss him.  Even though the audio wasn't perfectly synched to the TV broadcast (they were about a second ahead of the video), he and Jim Brandstatter were always worth using as the audio for the games.  I hate the thought of going back to the clown the Big10 Network uses.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Some of us can probably remember the "Figthing Irish" cups of years ago, but this takes the cake for spelling fuckups:

Yes, Indiana University misspelled "Indiana" on their team jerseys.

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2021, 03:05:50 PM
Some of us can probably remember the "Figthing Irish" cups of years ago, but this takes the cake for spelling fuckups:

Yes, Indiana University misspelled "Indiana" on their team jerseys.

Because there is nobody I love to nit-pick more than you Grumbles, it was only one jersey on one player, not plural "jerseys".  :contract:

But still - how the fuck does that happen?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

How did nobody fucking NOTICE????

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2021, 03:12:32 PM

Because there is nobody I love to nit-pick more than you Grumbles, it was only one jersey on one player, not plural "jerseys".  :contract:

But still - how the fuck does that happen?

Ah.  The IndiStar account had it as "Jerseys" in their first version. https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2021/09/04/indiana-football-jersey-misspelled-ahead-iowa-game-saturday-iu-hoosiers-indinia/5734470001/ (see the mouseover). 

At least you got the chance to nitpick.  :lol:  Hope you enjoyed it.  If not, there will be further opportunities.

Bayraktar!